PDA

View Full Version : What would cause a weed whacker to not start anymore?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Third Day
August 5th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Hoping one of you mechanically inclined gentlemen can help me.

I have had several of these things, and after just a few uses they get harder and harder to start, and then just give out completely. Ir's hard for me to find a good small one that a woman can use, and I've got almost an acre of land that I have to keep the weeds cut down because of fire danger.

The last one I had was a Craftsman, and it lasted longer than any other, but it just would not start the last time I tried it. It was still under the extended warranty, and I was able to take it back in to Sears and get a more expensive, 4 cycle model (the others were 2 cycle) and I just had to pay the difference.

I haven't used it yet, because it's too hot outside, but I'm just wondering what I can do, if anything, to keep it so it will start up right away, just like when it is new? I cannot afford to keep buying new ones, and it takes too long when you have to send something off to be repaired.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Cheryl

Ladybug
August 5th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking air filter or spark plug.

Third Day
August 5th, 2007, 07:04 PM
nope, those are always the first things I check, but thanks!

Clutch Cargo
August 5th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Weeding an acre of land is a big job for a handheld weedwhacker (I'm assuming that's what you use). Have you considered something you push?

http://www.drpower.com/TwoStepModels.aspx?Name=TrimmerMower2Step&Chap=TRMModels&SiteEntryMode=0&BC=0%3aHome%7c2%3aDRPowerHome%7c3%3aTrimmerMower2S tep&LinkType=3

Third Day
August 5th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Yeah, but I cannot afford more than what I have. I do not have to cut the whole acre, the house and lawn take up a large chunk, and the rest is covered in sagebrush, which I keep because I do not want to destroy any more of the natural surroundings than necessary. What I do use it for is to cut the cheatgrass and tumbleweeds before they get too large, and I have to do that about five or six times each summer. It usually takes me two days, at about 4 hours a day each time. It takes me so long because I cut around all the wildflowers and sagebrush.

Larry
August 5th, 2007, 07:37 PM
You may have solved your problem by buying a 4 cycle model.

The 2 cycle units that you mix oil in the gas seem to get worse every season unless you really take care of the gas. Over the winter, if you leave fuel in the tank, some of the gas will evaporate but the oil won't. then you get a mixture that is more oil than required and it tends to foul the plug.

The best way is to let it run out of gas at the end of the season. That will apply to your new unit as well.

Larry

Clutch Cargo
August 5th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I've heard Stihl is a good brand. But as to keeping the one you have running, just be sure to read the manual on maintenance procedures. That's about the best you can do.

By keeping as much of the natural surroundings as much as possible, is your house still safe in case of fire? What are the local codes as far as brush clearing. I remember down here in SoCal one year several houses in Malibu were lost because the locals either weren't allowed or didn't clear brush from their home so as not to disturb nature. Were it me in that situation, I would have no problem at all looking at nature from inside a well-manicured full acre of land.

I'll bet it's a pretty place.

Good luck.

theroc
August 5th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Lol i thought this thread was going to be about a weed problem (drug) for some reason...haha

StronginTheLord
August 5th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Take it in every so often and get a carb kit put in. The jets get clogged pretty quickly from debris, even tiny particles can cause fuel deficiency through them. Also the airfilter may be clean, but the air portal it sits on will sometimes get grass particles clogged down in there and cause oxygen deprivation, meaning its hard to start and doesn't run as well when its operating.

Third Day
August 6th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Thanks for all the good advice! I just got back from church.

I'm not sure what the codes are for clearing brush away from the house, but I have planted lawn all around the house and it extends out quite aways. As long as I keep the cheatgrass cut it really reduces the fuel for a wildfire. It is a very beautiful place, and in the spring the wild creeping phlox and lupine are everywhere, with patches of balsam root and buckwheat. There is also a fantastic view of the Cascade mountains, including Mt. Adams and the top third of Mt. Rainier.

I kind of think that one of the problems with the weed cutters is that I leave the gas in it between uses in the summer, and sometimes that is for as long as a month. I think the hot summers here might change the composition of the gas after awhile. It almost smells like varnish if I leave it too long. Maybe it would be better to just let it run out of gas after each use.

Thanks again for taking the time to write with ideas! God bless you all.