PDA

View Full Version : I have a date!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Majorgrace2
May 29th, 2007, 03:46 PM
^Jesus said it in His Word. So, it is so.

The Lord hates divorce (Malachi 2:16)

"For I hate putting away, saith Jehovah, the God of Israel" (ASV)
"For I detest divorce - said the LORD, the God of Israel" (NJPS)
'"I hate divorce," says the LORD God of Israel' (NIV)
"For I hate divorce, says the LORD, the God of Israel" (RSV; NRSV)

The Gospel shows:

1) If you divorce your wife, and you do not have Biblical grounds (she has to have committed fornication or adultery), then you have sinned, and cannot remarry without sinning again.

2) The same applies to the wife, if she divorces her husband in unBiblical grounds. She is not free to remarry without sinning again.

3) If Biblical grounds did not back-up the cause for the divorce, then whoever remarries the divorced person commits adultery.

Those rules reveal the Lord's hatred for divorce, and that taking vows before God is something to take serious, when He joins two flesh as one flesh. It definitely is not a sin to take lightly and needs to be repented of (change your mind about it, and don't do it anymore).

You're correct in every point but one... in 1) above... if you read what Jesus said you will find that there are no grounds for divorce. What He was saying is if a woman has already committed adultery then a man who divorces his wife cannot cause her to commit adultery since she has already done so.

RefinedbyFire
May 29th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Oh. Thanks for pointing that out. Yet, let me look into that further. I do know that the Lord hates divorce, and even if there are "Biblical grounds" for divorce, His Word directs us in other ways to stay married if possible (like to forgive the offenses of your spouse, ect.).

My question is this: If you feel there are no grounds for divorce in Scripture, then what are these "Biblical grounds" for divorce that are commonly known? To me, the Scriptures make it clear that adultery is acceptable grounds for divorce if the offended spouse chooses to do so (while still forgiving them).

Big Daddy
May 29th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I believe back in the OT, adultery was grounds for death.
This is a real good commentary on Mark 10, where Jesus is questioned about divorce.
Take a minute and give it a listen. It is enlightening and worth it.

Two Shall Be As One (http://www.khouse.org/6640/CD028-06/) It's the second selection in the list.

Originally the Dave said he had a date. He mentioned some things about the woman, one of which she was divorced.

I had asked why she was divorced, not so much for biblical grounds, but just plain "why?"

By my experience, it is a very important thing to ask, and it's not that personal of a question to bring up early. It would tell volumes about her as a person and a Christian.

On a Christian forum, I would expect brothers and sisters in Christ to offer wise counsel and encourage obedience to God.

Give that link a listen.

Christy
May 30th, 2007, 05:39 AM
ok so if this guy marries the divorcee, he's commiting adultry?

i'm divorced and remarried. my wife was divorced. so we're commiting adultry? is this what you're saying? or implying that the Bible is telling me this? i don't think so.

In my view and according to the Bible, this isn't the UNPARDONABLE sin. We all mess up, we all make mistakes, we have to repent and ask the Lord for forgiveness and carry on and be careful not to make the same mistake again. But nothing in life is guaranteed, so all that matters is our attitude and motives, and this applies to all aspects of our lives, including marriage, divorce, etc. If we are to go ahead a continuously marry and divorce and it doesn't weigh on our consciences - then I'd say, yes it's a problem, and if we don't examine ourselves - yes, that too would present a problem.

RefinedbyFire
May 30th, 2007, 09:12 AM
^Of course it is not the unpardonable sin. Like any sin, it needs to be repented of, and not done again.

I'm still believing in "Biblical grounds" for divorce, unless somebody proves me different. Am I correct? The reason being, if you are a faithful spouse, and all of a sudden your mate decides they want a divorce, then surely you can't just be "stuck" the rest of your life without a mate, afraid to sin against God.

Scenerio: I'm married & faithful. My wife commits adultery and sins. If I divorce her, I'm free to go and remarry (as long as I don't marry somebody who previously divorced with unBiblical grounds). Since I left her, she is also free to go remarry. If I was willing to stay married to her (after her affair), and she still divorced me, then she sins. And, she sins again by remarrying anybody.

Scenerio: I'm married & faithful. So is my wife. One day, I decide I'm tired of her, and want a divorce. I sin by divorcing her, and will sin again if I ever remarry. However, my ex wife is free to go remarry without sinning (as long as she doesn't marry somebody who previously divorced with unBiblical grounds).

Is that right?

Majorgrace2
May 30th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Oh. Thanks for pointing that out. Yet, let me look into that further. I do know that the Lord hates divorce, and even if there are "Biblical grounds" for divorce, His Word directs us in other ways to stay married if possible (like to forgive the offenses of your spouse, ect.).

My question is this: If you feel there are no grounds for divorce in Scripture, then what are these "Biblical grounds" for divorce that are commonly known? To me, the Scriptures make it clear that adultery is acceptable grounds for divorce if the offended spouse chooses to do so (while still forgiving them).

The rest of the story...
1Co 7:10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:
1Co 7:11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

This is speaking to a Christian wife.

1Co 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the (believing) wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the (believing) husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.
1Co 7:15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

I don't think this needs further explanation.

Remember what Jesus said! He allowed Moses to give a writ of divorce because of the hardness of your hearts. He didn't say I gave a writ of divorce.

RefinedbyFire
May 30th, 2007, 09:36 AM
^Thanks for those verses. I realize the Lord hates divorce -- at all costs. And, I was aware of the "let the unbeliever go" verse. And, by those verses you can see that if a spouse commits adultery, it is God's desire for the spouse to forgive & keep their spouse.

But, then again: Do they absolutely have to keep their spouse if adultery has happened? What if a spouse keeps committing adultery over & over, and then expects their spouse to always forgive them, support them, and stay married to them? Can you imagine having a spouse with that kind of behavior? It is one thing to forgive them 7X70, but to have to stay married in that kind of situation....

And, what IF a Christian husband just gets up one day and decides to leave his Christian wife, WHAT is the wife supposed to do? That is my question. She is allowed to remarry, right?

Majorgrace2
May 30th, 2007, 09:49 AM
^Of course it is not the unpardonable sin. Like any sin, it needs to be repented of, and not done again.

I'm still believing in "Biblical grounds" for divorce, unless somebody proves me different. Am I correct? The reason being, if you are a faithful spouse, and all of a sudden your mate decides they want a divorce, then surely you can't just be "stuck" the rest of your life without a mate, afraid to sin against God.

Scenerio: I'm married & faithful. My wife commits adultery and sins. If I divorce her, I'm free to go and remarry (as long as I don't marry somebody who previously divorced with unBiblical grounds). Since I left her, she is also free to go remarry. If I was willing to stay married to her (after her affair), and she still divorced me, then she sins. And, she sins again by remarrying anybody.

Scenerio: I'm married & faithful. So is my wife. One day, I decide I'm tired of her, and want a divorce. I sin by divorcing her, and will sin again if I ever remarry. However, my ex wife is free to go remarry without sinning (as long as she doesn't marry somebody who previously divorced with unBiblical grounds).

Is that right?

Again you are correct:yeah

A Christian is free to remarry after the unsaved one departs but only in the faith.

Majorgrace2
May 30th, 2007, 09:59 AM
^Thanks for those verses. I realize the Lord hates divorce -- at all costs. And, I was aware of the "let the unbeliever go" verse. And, by those verses you can see that if a spouse commits adultery, it is God's desire for the spouse to forgive & keep their spouse.

But, then again: Do they absolutely have to keep their spouse if adultery has happened? What if a spouse keeps committing adultery over & over, and then expects their spouse to always forgive them, support them, and stay married to them? Can you imagine having a spouse with that kind of behavior? It is one thing to forgive them 7X70, but to have to stay married in that kind of situation....

And, what IF a Christian husband just gets up one day and decides to leave his Christian wife, WHAT is the wife supposed to do? That is my question. She is allowed to remarry, right?

In those Scriptures you have your answer. If a spouse continues to live in sin it is very unlikely that they are saved. The provision for the one who is being sinned against continually is to depart and stay unmarried.

Yes, I believe that if a Christian is abandoned, just like a woman who is married to a service man who is missing in action for many years at some point can determine that they are dead and remarry. This is my opinion.

Christy
May 30th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Is that right?

I hear you and you have the right motives.