PDA

View Full Version : Is Mormonism Christianity or a cult?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67

LightOfMyLife
March 1st, 2011, 08:43 PM
I know you're kidding, but that could be partly true.

Mormons I believe, *do think* that they are a sect of Christianity. If you meet them at your door, they (like JW's too) will try to pass themselves off as "Christians" - whether it's just to get you to drop your guard and listen to them, or they actually believe they are "Christian", or maybe it's a bit of both.

I had JW's at my door a few months ago, and I said, "I'm a Christian". The gentleman quickly said, "Oh I am too!" I said, "what church do you go to?" He said "The Kingdom Hall".... I then said, "Sir, you are *not* a Christian" and gently closed the door. :ohno I have to share this with all of you. Pastor Charles Stanley from Atlanta, Ga was telling how JW's came to his home & naturally as The Bible says in II John 9-11 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds. Mr. Stanley told them they could talk on the steps outside with a Bible in his hand. You guessed it they left immediately. :hehee :hat

HugsFromJesus
March 6th, 2011, 03:18 AM
I have to share this with all of you. Pastor Charles Stanley from Atlanta, Ga was telling how JW's came to his home & naturally as The Bible says in II John 9-11 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds. Mr. Stanley told them they could talk on the steps outside with a Bible in his hand. You guessed it they left immediately. :hehee :hat

I love this story and I love Dr. Charles Stanley. :-)

NeverTheLess
May 1st, 2011, 06:37 PM
This is a great new article I thought might be insightful.....

http://www.ericbarger.com/new.mormonism.old.heresies.htm

TaliaKirana
May 1st, 2011, 09:05 PM
:thumb Good article.

Craisin
May 18th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Yeah it is actually rather fascinating when you dig into learning about Mormonism. What you find is that Mormonism changes over the decades as well. Like, for someone who grew up as a Mormon or converted to Mormonism in the seventies is completely different from a Mormon today. Those who write about Mormonism (ex-mormons) have to constantly bring their stuff up-to-date because the LDS Church keeps changing itself.

It is really interesting when meeting with their missionaries or going to their services too, because they have started to adopt tons of christian terminology as well. You think they talk about the same thing as you do, but once you do your research and keep your Bible very close to you, you no longer see gray areas.

Know you're Bible well. ;)

Thanks for sharing the article! Very helpful for me.

carol1948
May 19th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I think the other cults keep changing their beliefs too. IMO it's because they get their truth from men, and the men/women who are their 'prophets' keep changing. The JWs belief about Jesus has changed several times over the past 40 years. At least some JWs will deny the changes, while others will explain them by saying the new truth was just recently revealed.

clemson
October 10th, 2011, 05:24 PM
i was listening to the radio this morning and i heard things about them:
they believe God was a human
they think he lives on another planet
they require you to have enough food for a year
they think that murder and repeat adultery are unforgivable sins
they also think that Jesus' death on the cross wasnt enough and that you have to do what you can do then grace kicks in.
see what they think??????????????????????????????

ComeLordJesus
October 10th, 2011, 06:42 PM
:sad We know about the man-turned-god on planet Kolob, etc. Check out the Glenn Beck threads among others for more info on Mormon beliefs. :tsk

organgrinder
October 10th, 2011, 06:54 PM
The very sad thing is that Mormons are tremendous people who have been bamboozled into believing what they have is true.. When the Teton dam broke in eastern Idaho in 1976, I was a young newspaper reporter for a small daily in Blackfoot, Idaho. The flood waters destroyed entire farming communities, leaving only home foundations. It left water marks as high as 8 feet which are still visible today in Rexburg (at least they were four years ago when I went through).

The American Red Cross was stunned at the way the Mormon Relief Society (church welfare) kicked in to distribute food, clothing and everything else that was needed. It was organized through their church. They hadn't seen anything like it. The folks are friendly and would help you with anything.

However, they were and are spiritually deceived. They have believed a lie and because it is so close to what the Bible teaches it is very difficult to get them to think critically about their faith. They go into testimony mode. A backslidden cradle-to-grave Mormon who hasn't been inside of a church for 20 years will "bear his testimony" to the "truth" of the BOM and the LDS church when that institution or his beliefs are challenged. I've seen it happen again and again. It's like autopilot.

The only thing that gets through is demonstrating God's love to them and telling them about that personal relationship with Jesus of the Bible.

They don't beliegve the Bible is accurate and has "many great and precious" things removed from it, hence the needs for latter-day revelation in the Book of Mormon, etc. If you notice, attacking God's word was the first thing Satan did in thye Garden of Eden when he tempted Eve. When we begin to doubt what God has said, we are ample to believe anything.

Know the Word as it has been recorded in the Bible. It is a lamp to our feet, and a guide to our path. (Psalm 119:105).

God bless.

-Speedy

Acts5:41
October 10th, 2011, 08:47 PM
They also believe the Devil and Jesus are brothers.

I do like the food storage concept; I think it is smart in these times (but have nowhere near a year supply).

"The Kingdom of the Cults" and "The Find it Quick Guide to Cults and New Religions" are both GREAT books on the subject. The latter is a little easier read, short chapters.