PDA

View Full Version : Is Mormonism Christianity or a cult?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67]

organgrinder
October 13th, 2011, 06:18 PM
To your second question: I've never been to one of their services, so I don't know. Although, I know during their regular services they have people get up and give their testimony. Now, it isn't what we know as a testimony. They speak about what they have done for the good of the church, how their faith has been tested, and how they 'feel a burning in their bosom' that the mormon church is the one true church. Wow.
I have heard their missionaries give their sermonettes, and they disguise their true story very well. If you aren't aware of their double-speak, you may think they follow Biblical Christianity.NR

When I was a news reporter in southeast Idaho in the late 70s and early 80s, I was asked to shoot some film of various Christmas -related productions, etc. One was held at an LDS Ward chapel. The Christmas story was the theme and it was a typical church production and everything was ok until the very end when we were told jesus had to come to the Americas and preach to his "other sheep", that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God, yada, yada, yada.

If you don't know the Word of God, it is easy to get sucked in to deception- be it Mormonism, Hinduism or whatever.

God bless.

-Speedy

NarrowRoad
October 13th, 2011, 06:58 PM
If you don't know the Word of God, it is easy to get sucked in to deception- be it Mormonism, Hinduism or whatever.

God bless.

-Speedy

:sad

ComeLordJesus
October 14th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Just got this timely email from Got Questions? Here's the first part of it.

www.GotQuestions.org [Here's the link to the whole article: http://www.gotquestions.org/Printer/qotw-PF.html?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Question%20of%20the%20Week&utm_content=QOTW-10-14-11 ]
Question of the Week

Question: "What is Mormonism? What do Mormons believe?"

Answer: The Mormon religion (Mormonism), whose followers are known as Mormons and Latter Day Saints (LDS), was founded less than two hundred years ago by a man named Joseph Smith. He claimed to have received a personal visit from God the Father and Jesus Christ who told him that all churches and their creeds were an abomination. Joseph Smith then set out to begin a brand-new religion that claims to be the “only true church on earth.” The problem with Mormonism is that it contradicts, modifies, and expands on the Bible. Christians have no reason to believe that the Bible is not true and adequate. To truly believe in and trust God means to believe in His Word, and all Scripture is inspired by God, which means it comes from Him (2 Timothy 3:16).

Mormons believe that there are in fact four sources of divinely inspired words, not just one: 1) The Bible “as far as it is translated correctly.” Which verses are considered incorrectly translated is not always made clear. 2) The Book of Mormon, which was “translated” by Smith and published in 1830. Smith claimed it is the “most correct book” on earth and that a person can get closer to God by following its precepts “than by any other book.” 3) The Doctrine and Covenants, containing a collection of modern revelations regarding the “Church of Jesus Christ as it has been restored.” 4) The Pearl of the Great Price, which is considered by Mormons to “clarify” doctrines and teachings that were lost from the Bible and adds its own information about the earth's creation.

Mormons believe the following about God: He has not always been the Supreme Being of the universe, but attained that status through righteous living and persistent effort. They believe God the Father has a “body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s.” Though abandoned by modern Mormon leaders, Brigham Young taught that Adam actually was God and the father of Jesus Christ. In contrast, Christians know this about God: there is only one true God (Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 43:10; 44:6-8), He always has existed and always will exist (Deuteronomy 33:27; Psalm 90:2; 1 Timothy 1:17), and He was not created but is the Creator (Genesis 1; Psalm 24:1; Isaiah 37:16). He is perfect, and no one else is equal to Him (Psalm 86:8; Isaiah 40:25). God the Father is not a man, nor was He ever (Numbers 23:19; 1 Samuel 15:29; Hosea 11:9). He is Spirit (John 4:24), and Spirit is not made of flesh and bone (Luke 24:39).

carol1948
October 14th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Back to their disbelief in the cross, how do they explain or do they even try, that Jesus didn't say 'It is finished' until he was near death on the cross?

NarrowRoad
October 14th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Back to their disbelief in the cross, how do they explain or do they even try, that Jesus didn't say 'It is finished' until he was near death on the cross?

My mother in-law says that Jesus just meant He was about to die.:tsk Then, they point to the verses in James 'faith without works is dead' as what we must do to 'work the atonement' for ourselves. Works will save them, as long as their works are within the confines of mormonism.

My mother in-law and sister in-law joined the mormon cult about 35 years ago. My husband warned them. He had studied it and was well-grounded in scripture. He tried and tried. He showed them the error. They didn't believe my husband knew what he was talking about. He told them about the creepy underwear, baptism for the dead, the weird rituals, their planet kolob, and a host of other blasphemies the mormons teach. They thought he'd lost his mind. They told him they hadn't heard any of that. The mormons were so nice and answered all the burning questions they had always had about God and this world and no one could ever answer. They drank gallons of the koolaid willingly.

Now? They believe it all... they baptized my father in-law posthumously. Asked if they could have my dad baptized posthumously. They all wear the creepy underwear all...the...time and testify to its saving power and protection. They have participated in a number of temple rituals...baptisms, marriages, priesthood ceremonies. They believe the whole kolob junk fully.

My husband, son, and I used to get angry over it. We gave it to The Lord. We pray for them and use the opportunities He gives us to witness to them.

NR

carol1948
October 15th, 2011, 10:16 AM
My mother in-law says that Jesus just meant He was about to die.:tsk Then, they point to the verses in James 'faith without works is dead' as what we must do to 'work the atonement' for ourselves. Works will save them, as long as their works are within the confines of mormonism.

My mother in-law and sister in-law joined the mormon cult about 35 years ago. My husband warned them. He had studied it and was well-grounded in scripture. He tried and tried. He showed them the error. They didn't believe my husband knew what he was talking about. He told them about the creepy underwear, baptism for the dead, the weird rituals, their planet kolob, and a host of other blasphemies the mormons teach. They thought he'd lost his mind. They told him they hadn't heard any of that. The mormons were so nice and answered all the burning questions they had always had about God and this world and no one could ever answer. They drank gallons of the koolaid willingly.

Now? They believe it all... they baptized my father in-law posthumously. Asked if they could have my dad baptized posthumously. They all wear the creepy underwear all...the...time and testify to its saving power and protection. They have participated in a number of temple rituals...baptisms, marriages, priesthood ceremonies. They believe the whole kolob junk fully.

My husband, son, and I used to get angry over it. We gave it to The Lord. We pray for them and use the opportunities He gives us to witness to them.

NR

Your experience sounds very similar to mine with my sisters and the JWs. And like you, I've given it to the Lord. I pray often for the Lord to call them out of that darkness, and I know He's calling; but so far, they are not listening.