PDA

View Full Version : Serious negatives to homeschooling?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Cd4u_2
August 15th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I think the downside of it is the naysayers :D

wife
August 15th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I think the downside of it is the naysayers :D

:thumb

RRuth
August 15th, 2007, 11:51 PM
The homeschoolers around here throw huge "BACK TO SCHOOL" parties when the public school is back in session. No more crowds in the libraries, or parks! Home schooling is becoming more and more common. When I first started, I was very much the minority. Not anymore.

I have no regrets. It was the best decision I've ever made for my kids!

Don't forget to join a local home schooling group for support, and get in touch with your state's regulations towards home schooling. Each state is different. Here in Texas... well :thumb

topekaclark
August 16th, 2007, 12:28 AM
I, like you, did major research regarding hs. I couldn't find any DOCUMENTED negative proof that I was going to do major damage to my children. :lol2 The only negative things I did find was articles involving peoples opinion of hs. Socialization was one major thing pointed out, duh, have you met my kids??? Social butterflies.

HS is a commitment so is being a parent. My children are allowed to bond with me, we are raising them in Christ not of this world. My child has perform amazingly better since I pulled her out of public school. The school wanted to retain her in 1st grade never mind her math skills was out of this world. I admit she was a very slow learning to read but there was issues that wasn't being address by the school. Only by us and her doctors. Self confidence and esteem has rose. There are sooo many activities out there for hs, I'm just amazed.

Remember you and your husband are one now. You get to make the decisions regarding your children and God has commanded us to raise our children in him.

I will admit by the end of the day, I may be frazzled but we also have a toddler that has LOTS OF ENERGY>

Reading this post probably hasn't helped you, sorry.:idunno

lbeels
August 16th, 2007, 04:02 AM
I've homeschooled one child for 11 years now. It took some time to get in a groove at first but I don't regret a thing. It has not been easy because my son has been a slow learner and not interested in learning much of the time.

Everyone socializes their children. The question is what are you socializing them for? I don't see how putting our children with a boat load of other kids their age will help them any. Proverbs 22:15 says that foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child. They really should be with people of all ages.

I bet if you did the "negative" research on public or private schools you could find plenty!

Deuturonomy 6:5-7 - You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.

FunMudder
August 16th, 2007, 11:19 AM
The biggest negative I've found and encountered is from other Christians who insist our kids are supposed to be the "salt" in the public schools :rolleyes
Children are not little missionaries. :gaah While it's wonderful when a child can show Jesus to another, it's not their job or purpose for being at school :tsk

We have been homeschooling for 6 years and have never regretted the decision. The family members who were once parroting the myths have now all changed their tune. We are moving back to where much of my family lives, and they are all vying for different unit studies to do with my boys:aha

It was difficult getting used to them all being home 24/7. My two oldest were in public schools for awhile. Now I can't imagine not having them around all the time:idunno it's just normal. I cringe when I think about all the time and important learning milestones I missed with them that someone else got paid to experience :ohno

makarioselpis
August 16th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Reactions from relatives can cause some doubts. When I told my father we were going to homeschool he threatened to call social services on me. When I told my in-laws, they thought I was going to make them "weird" and social outcasts. Only my mom supported the idea. Luckily, the others have all come around. They love the flexibility about seeing the children whenever they get a whim to. I've also called on them to be teachers. My dad is a renaissance man with many varied interests and now he'll actually call me and ask "do you think the kids would like to learn about this?" Of course my answer is always yes! I wouldn't trade our homeschooling for anything!:yay

Robinski
August 16th, 2007, 06:38 PM
We've been homeschooling for 7 years now and have yet to find a negative. The only "problems" I've encountered are my 10 year old whining about school work and my teenager feeling like she might be "missing" out on public school. But I know in my heart that God wants me to do this for my children.

My husband was a little unsure at first and now supports me 100%. As for the rest of our families. They thought it was "weird" at first and that our kids wouldn't be socialized. But we've proven them wrong. Our 10 yr old DD makes friends on vacation at a hotel! She's quite the social butterfly and our other 3are pretty social as well. Some of those family members now support our decision.

As long as you follow the state guidelines don't feel that you have to answer to ANYONE else on homeschool.

all things
August 16th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Hello everyone. I recently told my Dad that I was thinking about HS and he did not take to the idea very well.

Tell your Dad you can't afford the $175.00 Kevlar backpacks.

http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/213371.aspx

I saw this on The 700 Club, and what saddened me...in fact kinda made me angry...was the lack of outrage on the show that it had come to this. I sat there stunned. I took my kids out in 1992 when knives were coming to school, and the sex and gay agendas were starting to be pushed.

I hope your Dad will see the light. Homeschooling is so worth it.

J4E
August 16th, 2007, 10:09 PM
My hat off to those of you who do home school. I even considered it myself but I'm a terrible teacher.

What has been such a blessing is that my daughter.... even at the tender age of 10 has witnessed to and brought some of her friends to Christ! It makes me so ashamed for being so lazy. It's a confirmation that she needs to be in public school. At least for now anyway.