PDA

View Full Version : Serious negatives to homeschooling?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

EmmieAZ
August 15th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Hello everyone. I recently told my Dad that I was thinking about HS and he did not take to the idea very well. Anyway, he did say that he would read some articles that I printed off to humor me. Anyway, I promised him that in return I would also read up on the downside of HS, but apart from the easily debunked myths about HS, I can't find anything! And I mean I have researched on the Internet for hours. I don't need to be sold on the benefits of HS, I just wanted to show my Dad that I was being "open minded" to hearing the negatives as well by including some of those articles too. Do any of you ladies know of any type of research or anything official that has been documented on the negative aspects of homeschooling?:idunno Thanks:hat

MidnightCry
August 15th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I don't know of anything official, but the hardest thing for me is my kids not esteeming me in the same way they would a school teacher. If I say, "Okay, it's time to do your math now . . . " (or whatever), I often get groaning, wailing, and gnashing of teeth. But would they do anything even close to that for another teacher? No way!

Certainly no reason for me to give up and send them to school, though.

A word of advice . . . if you and your husband are in agreement (are you?), then don't feel like you have to justify your education choice to anyone. You are responsible to the Lord only. If it's His will that you homeschool, then He will bless your family in it. And as your children grow, onlookers will see the fruit of your labor and will "come around".

lisaann
August 15th, 2007, 01:04 PM
A word of advice . . . if you and your husband are in agreement (are you?), then don't feel like you have to justify your education choice to anyone. You are responsible to the Lord only. If it's His will that you homeschool, then He will bless your family in it. And as your children grow, onlookers will see the fruit of your labor and will "come around".

:amen

The only negative that I have experianced in my 4 years of HS have been having the kids 24/7. If I want time alone to take a walk or go shopping ect. I need to line it up with dh or relatives to babysit. That is such a non-issue though that it isnt worth complaining about. The benefits far outweigh that minor inconvience.

Khristy1
August 15th, 2007, 01:15 PM
:hug

It's the child trying to get out of being homeschooled.

OnTheHorizon
August 15th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I have one...
Because we don't have tons of 'busy work' the child can get overwhelmed with the amount of work the will have if they go back to public or private school outside the home.
They would be pretty worn out after having school 6 or more hours and then spending another 1-3 hours a night with homework. So if you plan to send them to school at anytime, make sure you have them plenty busy so they know what a full workload is like.

HSmomto4
August 15th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Can't think of any...

springfield
August 15th, 2007, 03:41 PM
oops

HSmomto4
August 15th, 2007, 04:07 PM
oops

:idunno Did you step on a frog?

CircleSlide
August 15th, 2007, 05:28 PM
We homeschooled 3+ years. We have two girls and one boy. This year we decided to send them all to a private christian school just a few miles from our house.

The positives for us were many to hs, like being done at noon, great field trips, each child's learning style, being able to study what subject they really wanted, our evenings were our own, no homework!

The negatives for us were, I have a special needs child and he was taking all my time from my other two girls. He is autistic, with anxiety disorder and mood disorder. I burned out and my girls really began to dislike all his behaviors. It also allowed him to become more autistic (I hope you know what I am saying here), because he didn't have to hold it together like he would if family wasn't around.

Now my case is unique, but I am thankful I was able to HS those three plus years. Like everyone else has said you really have to take negative criticism with a grain of salt. If God leads you to HS then don't worry about what other's say!

Kathe
August 15th, 2007, 09:09 PM
No downsides that we know of. My husband is our homeschool parent and it's going great. After putting 4 kids through public and private Christian schools these last 2 kids will be homeschooled through year 12. No more of that junk for us. Yes it can be hard to have kids 24/7 but the rewards far outweight that as someone else said.

We learned not to listen to the naysayers and just ignore their comments which were mainly coming from ignorance anyway.

Kathe