PDA

View Full Version : The Baha'i Faith

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Amber Lynne
October 30th, 2009, 04:39 PM
EVer wonder if they don't want to picture their god because he/she/it is goofy looking and/or ugly? I picture Alfred E. Newman... :aha

icebear
October 30th, 2009, 04:41 PM
could be....:madgrin

i have to say that i often thought of bahai'i when i read up on the maitreya dude. i don't think i have ever seen them connected, but it seems like he'd fall right in with them quite seamlessly

Amber Lynne
October 30th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I don't know much about maitreya...

truthwarrior
October 30th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I knew someone who was in the Bahai' faith and then she got out of it, because when she wanted to read the Bible they would tell her that she could not do that. So really they were accepting to a point, but then if one gets to much into Christianity they get cultic and actually get oppressive.

These people have a mish-mash of new age, cultic, and universalist beliefs.

icebear
October 30th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I don't know much about maitreya...

well he's nothing special. but he is spozed to be this mystical being that will unite all faiths to their true purpose of blah blah blah..... human perfection...the inherent goodness of humanity, unity, oneness and we'll all burst into song and buy eachother coca~colas and we'll wear flowers in our hair.

kinda a little bit of everything with some celestine prophesy tossed in, in place of anchovies

novembergirl
October 31st, 2009, 05:18 AM
well he's nothing special. but he is spozed to be this mystical being that will unite all faiths to their true purpose of blah blah blah..... human perfection...the inherent goodness of humanity, unity, oneness and we'll all burst into song and buy eachother coca~colas and we'll wear flowers in our hair.
kinda a little bit of everything with some celestine prophesy tossed in, in place of anchovies

That cracked me up. I remember those commercials when I was a kid.

Sen McGlinn
November 1st, 2009, 06:52 AM
I knew someone who was in the Bahai' faith and then she got out of it, because when she wanted to read the Bible they would tell her that she could not do that.

I think you might have Bahai mixed up with something else. Bahais are encouraged to read the Bible, and to know it thoroughly. Not many do, but there's definitely no ban on reading the Bible. I've been a Bahai for 40-odd years now, and never encountered anything like that. There's a discussion list on Bahai Biblical Studies (bbst@yahoo.com), and Bahai Publishers produce books on the Bible. One recent one is Daniel Grolin's "Jesus and Early Christianity in the Gospels." ( join this up:
ht tp:/ /ww w.grbooks.com/show_auth.php?author_id=38 )

As a Bahai, I took knowing the Bible seriously and did two years of Bible studies at a Protestant theological hall and Catholic seminary (they worked together, for things like Greek and Hebrew, it doesn't make much difference what church you belong to). I never had any negative feedback from the Bahais for studying the Bible, although some Bahais thought I should not study theology.

~~ Sen McGlinn

His Bride
November 1st, 2009, 10:31 AM
I think you might have Bahai mixed up with something else. Bahais are encouraged to read the Bible, and to know it thoroughly. Not many do, but there's definitely no ban on reading the Bible. I've been a Bahai for 40-odd years now, and never encountered anything like that. There's a discussion list on Bahai Biblical Studies (bbst@yahoo.com), and Bahai Publishers produce books on the Bible. One recent one is Daniel Grolin's "Jesus and Early Christianity in the Gospels." ( join this up:

As a Bahai, I took knowing the Bible seriously and did two years of Bible studies at a Protestant theological hall and Catholic seminary (they worked together, for things like Greek and Hebrew, it doesn't make much difference what church you belong to). I never had any negative feedback from the Bahais for studying the Bible, although some Bahais thought I should not study theology.

~~ Sen McGlinn

24] No Cultic material - Teachings that do not agree with Scripture are not to be promoted here. This includes, but is not limited to, Mormonism, Jehovah Witness, Scientology, Masons, Free Masons, Elks, Moose, Christian Identity, New Age, Shepherd's Chapel, Sacred Name Movements, works based faiths such as Roman Catholicism, and Seventh Day Adventist, Church of Christ teachings. Those who adhere to these beliefs are welcome to discuss Christianity in the Apologetics forum. (Galatians 1:6-8)

As a Bahai, may I ask what your purpose is for being here at Rapture REady?
Are you wanting to know Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?

Anddra
November 1st, 2009, 04:32 PM

~~ Sen McGlinn

We are happy that you have come here, Sen McGlinn. You will find the truth in this message board.

singthepraises
November 1st, 2009, 08:44 PM
They believe that Jesus and the "Prophets" such as Moses are all God. .. It's very strange. :(

I guess they figure that since Moses had a white beard, hair and staff with a robe he = God.

I don't think that's quite so... I've talked with many of them, and they think that the prophets are messengers of God, not God Himself.

The Baha'is I know are very calm, nice people and they don't believe in wtchcraft or any of that nonsense, so that's good.

I dunno what to think, to be honest... :scratch