PDA

View Full Version : Fruit cocktail salad?

Pages : [1] 2

caligal
December 7th, 2009, 02:51 AM
My exMIL who I am still good friends with used to throw together a salad with fruit cocktail drained, miniature marshmallows, and sour cream. It was ok......but I was thinking of the extra cherry fruit with sliced banana added to mellow out the sour cream a little and possibly some chopped walnuts. I was thinking about this for christmas dinner. The rest of the meal is going to be baked ham, potatoe salad, the fruit salad(?), hot rolls, and maybe baked beans. Plus desserts out the wazzooo. So...........my question is do ya think the fruit salad sounds good? :hehee

candlelight
December 7th, 2009, 05:45 AM
My exMIL who I am still good friends with used to throw together a salad with fruit cocktail drained, miniature marshmallows, and sour cream. It was ok......but I was thinking of the extra cherry fruit with sliced banana added to mellow out the sour cream a little and possibly some chopped walnuts. I was thinking about this for christmas dinner. The rest of the meal is going to be baked ham, potatoe salad, the fruit salad(?), hot rolls, and maybe baked beans. Plus desserts out the wazzooo. So...........my question is do ya think the fruit salad sounds good? :hehee

My Mom used to make one like this. I did not care for it personally because I do not like marshmallows, but it should be good with the ham, etc. I like the idea of the extra cherry and walnuts.

Heartstorm
December 7th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Ours was made with only mandrin oranges, pineapple, coconut, sourcream and mini marshmellows made the day before and left in fridge overnight, it was very good, the coconut sweetened the sourcream.

NarrowRoad
December 7th, 2009, 07:48 AM
The extra cherries and nuts sound good to me too. Her recipe sounds like 5 Cup Salad. I've never cared for it either.

I always thought it needed a little sugar or some sweetened whipped cream to cut the tartness from the sour cream.

What about Watergate Salad? It's flavor is out of this world. And, it's a lovely shade of pale green for the holidays. :D Here's the one we make for Christmas:

1 small box instant pistachio pudding mix
8 oz. Cool Whip
20 oz. crushed pineapple, do not drain
1 1/2 c. mini marshmallows
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped pecans, or walnuts
1 small jar maraschino cherries, halved

Stir pudding mix, Cool Whip, and pineapple together. Fold in marshmallows. coconut and nuts. Gently fold in cherries. Chill several hours.

NR

Rebekah
December 7th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I love most fruit salads, but please leave out the walnuts. I'm allergic. Otherwise, these sound great to me. When's dinner?

caligal
December 7th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks for all your good input! I'm hoping the bananas will cut the edge off of the sour cream and mellow it out. I have always liked the Watergate salad, but I thought I would try something different this time. I haven't made up my mind about the nuts yet.

candlelight
December 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Ours was made with only mandrin oranges, pineapple, coconut, sourcream and mini marshmellows made the day before and left in fridge overnight, it was very good, the coconut sweetened the sourcream.

YES, my Mom did have coconut in it, I do remember that. I would pick out the marshmallows and she called it 24 hour salad because it was suppose to be made ahead of time.

April
December 7th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I like the Sound of the Cherries & Walnuts, sounds yummy.

Not a Big fan of the marshmellows in the Salad. Just a Thought....
Instead, of the Marshmellows, did you think about letting ppl put on cool whip?

caligal
December 8th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Ok, leaving the nuts out because of grandchildren.

caligal
December 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM
:doh Ummm.............I don't remember how much sour cream to use!:hehee