PDA

View Full Version : Ethiopian Airlines plane with 92 passengers crashes into sea after takeoff from Beirut

Pages : [1] 2 3

Zerozx
January 24th, 2010, 08:26 PM
AP: Ethiopian Airlines plane with 85 passengers crashes into sea after takeoff from Beirut.

Reuters: Ethiopian airplane crashes after takeoff from Beirut, crashes into Mediterranean sea, disappeared off radar.

DEVELOPING -- An Ethiopian Airlines plane with 85 passengers on board crashed into the sea after taking off from Beirut.

The aircraft is a Boeing 737-800.

Boeing 737-800 flying from Beirut to Addis Ababa.

Ethiopian Airlines Flight 409, a Boeing 737-800 with 85 passengers on board.

cocopea9052
January 24th, 2010, 08:37 PM
:shocked :shocked :pray

Oh good Lord Zerozx, any word on survivors?

Zerozx
January 24th, 2010, 08:40 PM
:shocked :shocked :pray

Oh good Lord Zerozx, any word on survivors?

No reports yet. :(

cocopea9052
January 24th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I don't even know why I asked that :doh I know you stay on top of the stories you post. Just kinda shocking to read I suppose. Thank you for posting this. :hug

Zerozx
January 24th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I don't even know why I asked that :doh I know you stay on top of the stories you post. Just kinda shocking to read I suppose. Thank you for posting this. :hug

It's fine. :hug

Reuters mentioned that it "disappeared off the radar," so I guess they've lost all contact? :idunno
Hopefully there will be more details.

Zerozx
January 24th, 2010, 08:47 PM
CNN: 92 people on board, not 85.

CNN: An Ethiopian plane en route to Addis Ababa carrying 92 people has crashed.

Zerozx
January 24th, 2010, 09:03 PM
BEIRUT (Reuters) - An Ethiopian Airlines plane with 92 passengers on board crashed into the Mediterranean sea shortly after taking off from Beirut airport in the early hours of Monday, airport sources said. The plane disappeared off the radar shortly after takeoff, the sources said. There were no further immediate details.

NAA: Ethiopian Boeing plane crashed in the sea half an hour after taking off from Beirut.

Zerozx
January 24th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Ethiopian airliner crashes off Beirut - http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/25/2800630.htm?section=world

An Ethiopian Airlines plane with 85 passengers on board crashed into the Mediterranean Sea shortly after taking off from Beirut airport in the early hours of Monday (local time), airport sources said.

The plane took off shortly after its scheduled time of 3:10 am (local time) flying south-west, sources said.

Ethiopian Airlines' website shows it has a flight from Beirut to the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa around that time, operating a Boeing 737.

The airline could not immediately be reached for comment.

Residents on the coast reportedly saw a plane on fire crashing.

Senior Lebanese officials headed to Rafik Hariri International Airport after news of the crash.

The plane had flown in from Addis Ababa earlier in the night, the sources said.

Hundreds of Ethiopians work as domestic helpers in Lebanon.

Zerozx
January 24th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Beirut crash update: Witnesses saw jet on fire; 50 Lebanese nationals among passengers on missing Boeing 737 - http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Ethiopian-Airlines-Plane-Crashes-Into-Mediterranean-Sea-After-Taking-Off-From-Beirut/Article/201001415534864?f=rss

An Ethiopian Airlines plane with 85 passengers on board has crashed into the Mediterranean Sea off Beirut, according to airport sources.

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2010/Jan/Week4/15534865.jpg

A Lebanese aviation official said radar contact was lost about 45 minutes after the early Monday departure.

According to one source, residents on the coast saw a plane on fire crashing.

The plane, said to be a Boeing 737, was carrying about 50 Lebanese nationals, sources said. Most of the other passengers were Ethiopians.

There were thought to be seven crew members.

The plane took off shortly after its scheduled time of 3:10 am (0010 GMT), flying south-west, the sources said.

Ethiopian Airlines' website shows it has a flight from Beirut to the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa around that time, operating a Boeing 737.

Senior Lebanese officials headed to Rafik Hariri International Airport after news of the crash. The plane had flown in from Addis Ababa earlier in the night, the sources said.

Hundreds of Ethiopians work as domestic helpers in Lebanon.

Zerozx
January 24th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Sorry for the different reports on the number of passengers. I keep seeing 85 and 92.