PDA

View Full Version : Pope says Mother Teresa felt "God's silence"

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Hope
September 24th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Hi Everyone! This point may have already been made, but just in case it hasn't .... No one should be perplexed at Mother Theresa's dry times, nor perplexed at our own dry times. Jesus Himself was a man of sorrows, a lonely man, a man who sweat so profusely in the garden that his sweat became like great drops of blood, and a man who cried out to God the Father from the cross, "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me."

So should we really be amazed when we ourselves hit those dry times? Of course not. Christ himself suffered tremendous torments for our sake, and commanded his disciples to "take up your cross".

It is in the dry times that the roots of our faith are forced deep into the dry arid soil of our hearts searching for that lifegiving water .... and yes, it will be found, and when it is found, that water is oh-so-very-sweet.

I wonder what Mother Theresa was feeling and what the Lord was showing her the last few days of her life that gave her such radiant joy .... ? Could it be His face shining like the sun in all its glory, and the realization that she would indeed hear these words, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

Hope

Sing4Him
September 24th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Jesus told the apostles that they have the power to forgive sins and retain sins

Only Jesus can forgive our sins.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:9

pegmo
September 24th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Mother Teresa was not lacking faith at all. She may not have felt the presence of God at times in her life. Being engulfed in the darkness of the world in Calcutta can do that even to the best of saints.

You know what's critical, is where Mother Teresa placed her faith. She may have had faith, but it may not have been in Christ alone. She may have put her faith in the externals of religion. She may have put her faith in her works. She may have put her faith in the generic god, since she so often spoke in "universalist" statements that all paths lead to God. She may have put some faith in Christ, some in Mary, some in her works, some in who knows what. Her statements indicate that her personal relationship with Jesus was somewhat lacking - and this was over an extended period of time. And that would be a concern for any follower of Christ.

CatholicConvert
September 24th, 2007, 11:23 AM
"On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, ‘Peace be with you.’ When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, ‘Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.’ And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.’ John 20:19-23

Jesus gave the power of forgiving sins to the apostles. I don't want to discussion of the Sacrament of Reconcilliation to be brought up here. That is for another thread.

Abba'sLil'Girl
September 24th, 2007, 03:14 PM
"On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, ‘Peace be with you.’ When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, ‘Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.’ And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.’ John 20:19-23

Jesus gave the power of forgiving sins to the apostles. I don't want to discussion of the Sacrament of Reconcilliation to be brought up here. That is for another thread.

With all due respect, I don't think Jesus is suggesting that the Apostles have the ability or authority to forgive the eternal debt of sin that is owed to God. I believe what He is saying here is that when the Holy Spirit comes upon us through our faith in believing in Christ's Grace and Sacrificial Redemption by His shed Blood on the Cross, then the Holy Spirit will enable us to forgive the sins that others commit against us.

Sin carries consequences. The eternal debt has been paid by Christ, but the scars remain. For example, if we gossip about another, we are sinning because we are not loving God by loving and respecting His creation. We are not loving each other as He commands because we are not placing others as more important than ourselves. For this is what Christ commands (Matthew 5, 6, 7). God can forgive us of our debt to Him, but the damage we have done to others still remains, for pain stays in the memory of the one who has been hurt.

To forgive an offense - or sin - against us is to not hold the other accountable, i.e., they don't have to make it up to us. We forgive them - even if they aren't sorry for what they did or don't have the courage to ask us for forgiveness. I believe it is impossible for humans to forgive on such a divine level without the power of the Holy Spirit. Only He can enable us to forgive like this, as our human nature has difficulty forgetting wrongs committed against us due to the pain that lingers long after the offense.

I think Christ's statement is a basic principle of forgiveness. If we don't forgive, then we can't get rid of the sin that entagles us. If we don't let it go, then the sin will be retained - or carried by us - and will cause us to stumble. He was sending them out into a world that would oppose them - brutally. Yet, if they couldn't forgive in the same manner that He had forgiven them - even those who would take their very lives - then sin would weigh them down and they would be unable to be used fully by Him.

Grace and Peace to you.

CatholicConvert
September 24th, 2007, 09:59 PM
With all due respect, I don't think Jesus is suggesting that the Apostles have the ability or authority to forgive the eternal debt of sin that is owed to God. I believe what He is saying here is that when the Holy Spirit comes upon us through our faith in believing in Christ's Grace and Sacrificial Redemption by His shed Blood on the Cross, then the Holy Spirit will enable us to forgive the sins that others commit against us.

Sin carries consequences. The eternal debt has been paid by Christ, but the scars remain. For example, if we gossip about another, we are sinning because we are not loving God by loving and respecting His creation. We are not loving each other as He commands because we are not placing others as more important than ourselves. For this is what Christ commands (Matthew 5, 6, 7). God can forgive us of our debt to Him, but the damage we have done to others still remains, for pain stays in the memory of the one who has been hurt.

To forgive an offense - or sin - against us is to not hold the other accountable, i.e., they don't have to make it up to us. We forgive them - even if they aren't sorry for what they did or don't have the courage to ask us for forgiveness. I believe it is impossible for humans to forgive on such a divine level without the power of the Holy Spirit. Only He can enable us to forgive like this, as our human nature has difficulty forgetting wrongs committed against us due to the pain that lingers long after the offense.

I think Christ's statement is a basic principle of forgiveness. If we don't forgive, then we can't get rid of the sin that entagles us. If we don't let it go, then the sin will be retained - or carried by us - and will cause us to stumble. He was sending them out into a world that would oppose them - brutally. Yet, if they couldn't forgive in the same manner that He had forgiven them - even those who would take their very lives - then sin would weigh them down and they would be unable to be used fully by Him.

Grace and Peace to you.

Greetings Abba'sLilGirl!

Thanks for your kind words. I think your assessment is inaccurate because you don't address the second part of the statement that says about them retaining sins. Jesus preached unconditional forgiveness consistently in his minstry, example in the Lords Prayer. He would not have told the Apostles that they dont have to forgive people if they feel like it. I also don't think it makes sense if you think about. Jesus telling the Apostles that the people they don't forgive won't be forgiven? Let me know what you think.

In Peace

icebear
September 24th, 2007, 10:24 PM
we can forgive people who have wronged us, but i don't see how we (or any other human no matter how he swathes himself in blasphemous titles) get to decide whether God forgives them for sins against Himself

CatholicConvert
September 24th, 2007, 10:35 PM
we can forgive people who have wronged us, but i don't see how we (or any other human no matter how he swathes himself in blasphemous titles) get to decide whether God forgives them for sins against Himself

Only through Jesus's delegation of authority to the Apostles and their successors.

So you claim using the title of Father is blasphemous? What does you Dad call himself with regards to his relationship to you? Jesus himseld refers to people's dads as fathers? Jesus obviously wasn't committing the sin of blasphemy. I know what verse you are referring to though. It means do not call someone or something else your creator, or in reality your true father. This is not a new commandment. It echoes the commandment to not have any other Gods.

icebear
September 24th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I know what verse you are referring to though. .

no, you don't

CatholicConvert
September 24th, 2007, 10:51 PM
"Call no one on earth your father; you have but one Father in heaven’?”

Is that it?