PDA

View Full Version : Pastor ends sermon with a prayer by Brian McLaren?

Lsfarris77
June 15th, 2010, 02:03 PM
My DFIL & I attend the same church (he is also wanting to ask this question) a Southern Baptist church.
The pastor is a very good teacher and is well versed in scripture. We have discussed this on many occasions about the emergent and apostic churches that are running rapid in our area.

As stated our Pastor is very knowledgeable but does not teach any prophecy (he stated that he is not knowledgeable in this area). Many of our leaders do not teach any prophecy. He (the pastor) usually investigates very thoroughly before introducing anything to the congregation. The Sunday before last he had a great sermon and was really hitting the nail on the head in his message but then ended the sermon with a prayer of Brian McLaren’s... My FIL and I both looked over at each other questioning...

I was stating after the sermon with our in-laws that if one doesn't study or understand prophecy they might get sucked in to the emergent stuff.. But I stand corrected! Christina on another thread said that when we put the stuff that Brian McLaren believes under the light of Scripture we can see plain as day his lack of knowledge of scripture and how he twists it.

At this point, my question is, should we be concerned about this? Wait it out and see if he endorses more of McLaren’s views? We love the people in this church and know if we leave the church might die off (very small). What is your take and how would you handle this?

BlessedinHim
June 15th, 2010, 02:29 PM
talk to your pastor about it and ask him questions after prayerful consideration allowing the Holy Spirit to guide you. then pray again after your pastor has responded and go from there. I think after that, the answer will be very apparent.

Lsfarris77
June 15th, 2010, 02:41 PM
talk to your pastor about it and ask him questions after prayerful consideration allowing the Holy Spirit to guide you. then pray again after your pastor has responded and go from there. I think after that, the answer will be very apparent.

Thank you BlessedinHim:hug... It seems easy enough. I will talk to DFIL, he is also a deacon at this church and see if he thinks that we should talk to him or if he would....

Unfortunately my husband and I took a leave for 3wks about a month ago (other issues involving Music Director) so I'm not too excited to go to the pastor again with a complaint per se... I will be praying :praythat is for sure....