PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving and Christmas economy

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Been Watchin'
October 21st, 2010, 11:49 AM
Well, santa will be skinny at my house, too . But here's an idea for a recipient with the right sense of humor : Try getting some of that Zimbabwe currency on E- bay. They had horrible hyperinflation, and printed dollar bills in the millions to billions to trillions of dollars . The biggest is a 100 trillion dollar note ! Legal tender of a sovereign nation, and probably buys a bag of peanuts. But only in Zimbabwe. I just sent my 14 year old son $ 180 Trillion , and he thought it was awesome . Also educational !

Tall Timbers
October 21st, 2010, 12:17 PM
Well, santa will be skinny at my house, too . But here's an idea for a recipient with the right sense of humor : Try getting some of that Zimbabwe currency on E- bay. They had horrible hyperinflation, and printed dollar bills in the millions to billions to trillions of dollars . The biggest is a 100 trillion dollar note ! Legal tender of a sovereign nation, and probably buys a bag of peanuts. But only in Zimbabwe. I just sent my 14 year old son $ 180 Trillion , and he thought it was awesome . Also educational !

My youngest boy has one of the 100 trillion zimbabwe notes.

Hootmon
October 21st, 2010, 03:22 PM
Christmas: What other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree and eat candy out of your socks?

SaintTexas
October 21st, 2010, 03:29 PM
As someone who has been alone before on Christmas.. and who is facing a Christmas without her mom for the first time in 51 years and whose children will be w/ their dad and whose father has disowned her and brother "hates" her and has no real friends where she lives and has a husband who doesn't understand how Christmas can be since he was raised in a jewish home.... I would tell you to enjoy the people you can spend the day with. Treasure that time and laugh and thank the Lord if you have family around you that day. The gifts are supposed to represent "love"... just show your love "other ways".. maybe in a letter from the heart.... or doing something "they" have wanted you to do but you never would out of fear.... relationships is what it comes down to... with the Lord and with others.. that is where real treasure is!

:hug

Tall Timbers
October 21st, 2010, 06:10 PM
We'll have an all out Thanksgiving dinner when the time comes in November, and how much we spend for Christmas will depend upon what my kids ask for and what I'm willing to get them that's on their list. I'm not feeling the recessionary pinch and to be honest, it hasn't reached Alaska yet as far as I can tell. The inflation we've seen in recent years has caused me to adjust what I'm willing to pay for some things... I know most people abhore black friday. I dislike going out into the crowds on black friday but I like getting good prices on stuff we'd purchase anyway on that day.

WVBORN56
October 21st, 2010, 06:50 PM
God is a giver of good gifts and so is my wife. She loves to give.

Acts5:41
October 21st, 2010, 07:03 PM
I always make gifts; and will ask my husband for a case of Bibles if he wants to get me something. Or he can go with me on a handout on Christmas day, which I am REALLY liking.

Us on the corner, with our signs. One says MERRY CHRISTMAS, the other says FREE BIBLES! We are wearing Santa hats.

Yup. Doing it. Thanks for getting me thinking about this. I can't think of a BETTER thing to do!

Back on track, we are already seeing the usual uptick at the plant - sales are up, thank Him. :pray

TheKingsDaughter
October 21st, 2010, 07:15 PM
Salvation Army here has a giving tree, and all you have to do to sign up is go there and fill out paperwork, for kids, elderly, disabled, or unemployed, and they also furnish groceries also. Ive done this years ago when I was down and out with my daughter. Gives you something on that day, necessities especially.
Another thing is Sears now has layaway! And alot of people dont know that a pawn shop just isnt for getting money. Ours is having unclaimed items sales, and there are deals galore. They also have a layaway with just 20 down, and how ever much you want to pay,. Its going to be lonley and tight here too..but we have Jesus!
Hope this helps someone

GrannyVee
October 21st, 2010, 07:21 PM
I always make gifts; and will ask my husband for a case of Bibles if he wants to get me something. Or he can go with me on a handout on Christmas day, which I am REALLY liking.

Us on the corner, with our signs. One says MERRY CHRISTMAS, the other says FREE BIBLES! We are wearing Santa hats.

Yup. Doing it. Thanks for getting me thinking about this. I can't think of a BETTER thing to do!

Back on track, we are already seeing the usual uptick at the plant - sales are up, thank Him. :pray

I am really liking/admiring you!

Christmas for us will just be gifts for the grandchilden. I am knitting scarves for the grownup kiddies tho and I hope they don't think, "stingy old bag." (which is quite possible but I'm doing it anyway)

BrideOfChrist
October 22nd, 2010, 06:02 PM
As someone who has been alone before on Christmas.. and who is facing a Christmas without her mom for the first time in 51 years and whose children will be w/ their dad and whose father has disowned her and brother "hates" her and has no real friends where she lives and has a husband who doesn't understand how Christmas can be since he was raised in a jewish home.... I would tell you to enjoy the people you can spend the day with. Treasure that time and laugh and thank the Lord if you have family around you that day. The gifts are supposed to represent "love"... just show your love "other ways".. maybe in a letter from the heart.... or doing something "they" have wanted you to do but you never would out of fear.... relationships is what it comes down to... with the Lord and with others.. that is where real treasure is!

Oh Sunshine...Reading your post made me so sad for you. I'm sorry you're going through so much right now. :hug