PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving and Christmas economy

Pages : [1] 2 3

ronbo477
October 20th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Some of my friends in business are really cutting down there inventories and this is just before the holiday seasons. Also some of the distributors seem to be doing the same. In Oklahoma the food stamps were reported to have went up 46% since 2008. There are long lines at midnight at the all night groceries the first of the month.

forgiveness heals
October 20th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I don't have any idea what we are going to do for Christmas other than put up the tree. My daughter joined the Singing Angels out of Cleveland so I will get to enjoy her performances. I think she has gotten used to small Christmas's over the past couple of years so it will be okay.

Walmart blew it when they took out their layaway departments, but Kmart charges $5 to put anything in . . then they charge you $5 if you are late and they put everything back.

There certainly won't be any 'new tech gadget' splurging around here! Who needs it? I mean really needs it?

His Bride
October 20th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Enjoy the simplicity of your Christmas. You may never go back to the other again...:hug

sunshine2777
October 20th, 2010, 08:21 AM
As someone who has been alone before on Christmas.. and who is facing a Christmas without her mom for the first time in 51 years and whose children will be w/ their dad and whose father has disowned her and brother "hates" her and has no real friends where she lives and has a husband who doesn't understand how Christmas can be since he was raised in a jewish home.... I would tell you to enjoy the people you can spend the day with. Treasure that time and laugh and thank the Lord if you have family around you that day. The gifts are supposed to represent "love"... just show your love "other ways".. maybe in a letter from the heart.... or doing something "they" have wanted you to do but you never would out of fear.... relationships is what it comes down to... with the Lord and with others.. that is where real treasure is!

jadeeyes
October 20th, 2010, 09:29 AM
My son wors in a railroad yard here in the midwest. He loads the boxes that come off the trains onto chassis so they can be delivered. The fact that he has been so busy tells me that the stores might end up having more Christmas inventory than I might have expected.

We are goint to have Christmas-lite as far as presents go. We internd to get a gift for each of our grandchildren and something small for each of our Mothers. I've already told my adult children that I won't be buying presents for them. We just don't have the money any more and we want to be able to give to someone in greater need than we are in. I think that it will make Christmas a little more fun. I won't have the hassle of a lot of Christmas shopping and I won't have a ton of presents to wrap in expensive wrapping paper. I'm all about destressing our holidays.

Sari
October 20th, 2010, 03:03 PM
We are keeping our spending down also, basically just for my boys, even than it won't be much, but they already know that. :sad

caroljo
October 20th, 2010, 03:36 PM
We're playing "secret santa" for the first time this year. Money is so tight we drew names so we're each buying 1 gift of no more than $20 for an adult, then each of the grandkids get one or two gifts from each of us. I brought this up and everyone thought it was a great idea since we're all struggling in some way this year. Luckily the majority of people in our family are Christians and they believe it's not about the GIFTS we get!

In Christ
October 20th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I am listening to Christmas music today. I also built a nice fire to enjoy as I am working from home. This time of the year (always around mid-october) I get a head-start on the whole Christmas spirit thing. It's all about Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior, his birth and ministry... I celebrate this through putting myself in an atmosphere of peace and tranquility which expresses love for all people... Thank You Jesus for being born and providing salvation to us... Amen!!

When we get all caught up in the money side of things Christmas is stressful. You have to let all that go and enjoy the season and what it really means. One other way I do this is by using my tools to craft small inexpensive meaningful gifts for relatives. I have christmas music playing in my shop too!!

Have a great day and remember to make time for Jesus!

Sari
October 20th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I forgot to add Thanksgiving, we are planning on going to my parents house. :thumb

jadeeyes
October 20th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Each of us has already received the greatest gift of all, and that is salvation. I think that what I want to do this year for Thanksgiving and Christmas is to make an even greater effort to reach more people with the gospel. That's a gift I can begin giving right now. I wish to make the birth, life, death, resurrection and ascension of my Saviour the center of all celebration. I want to imress upon everyone I come into contact with that the hour is late and today is the day of salvation. I have an atheist BIL who was desparately ill and near death a very short time ago. I intend to have a little chat with him about his eternal future. He may label me a kook, but I don't care. He needs to know that the Lord has just given him a temporary reprieve, but that reprieve can be rescinded in an instant without any forewarning. He says he doesn't believe in anything he can't see. I wonder, and I'm going to ask him, if that includes gravity. :heh