PDA

View Full Version : I need advice for a witnessing situation!!!!

Genesis22
March 9th, 2011, 11:28 PM
It has been on my heart recently to witness to an old friend. Problem being, our situation is extremely unique and I don't know the best way to approach it.

When I was 12 (I was not saved yet), I started taking acting classes and traveling back and forth to Los Angeles for acting auditions. At the same time, my life started getting extremely hectic with my parents getting divorced, and I started to develop anxiety and an eating disorder. I didn't know what it was at the time, I thought that I was just stressed. I was so focused on my acting career that I tried to think about nothing else. I reached out to another actress who I had heard about through mutual friends (I won't give her name for privacy reasons, but she had done a few minor tv jobs and was known by only a few people; she has since done more acting and is slightly more known, but not like an A list celebrity or anything). I reached out to her for advice, both about the industry and just life because I had heard how she had been so sweet and helpful to others. We communicated only through email. She was in her 20's and was like a mentor/older sister to me. The following year, we met in person when I got to go to a charity event that she was at to promote the show that she was working on at the time. So my dad and I went there and we met and had a really great weekend. The thing was, I was a star struck pre-teen who saw her as a trusted friend because she was so amazingly nice to me. But she probably saw me more as just a young girl who she mentored and who looked up to her as an actress. We didn't know each other THAT well.

That weekend was the only weekend that we ever actually met, the rest of the time we only communicated through emails/letters/cards. I am now 17, a Christian, and about a billion times more mature. I no longer do acting auditions or classes, no longer have the problems that I needed mentoring for, and I just naturally drifted away from this girl because I was so caught up in focusing on God and the friends that He had given me from youth group that I drifted away from most everything else without really realizing it. I always just naturally assumed that this girl was a Christian because she talked about praying and was so kind and everything. However, I just recently started looking on her Facebook page and realized that she is pretty much Universalist, has very messed up theology, and is definitely not saved. God has put her on my heart, so I really want to witness to her.....But since we were never EXTREMELY close, and now haven't even had a conversation in over a year, how would I do it? A random letter on Facebook would be weird coming from me who she harldy knows now. Just being a good example by what I say on my Facebook page hasn't worked. Any other ideas? I have been seeking God with this and really feel like I am supposed to do it, but I don't know how!

LightOfMyLife
March 9th, 2011, 11:45 PM
It has been on my heart recently to witness to an old friend. Problem being, our situation is extremely unique and I don't know the best way to approach it.

When I was 12 (I was not saved yet), I started taking acting classes and traveling back and forth to Los Angeles for acting auditions. At the same time, my life started getting extremely hectic with my parents getting divorced, and I started to develop anxiety and an eating disorder. I didn't know what it was at the time, I thought that I was just stressed. I was so focused on my acting career that I tried to think about nothing else. I reached out to another actress who I had heard about through mutual friends (I won't give her name for privacy reasons, but she had done a few minor tv jobs and was known by only a few people; she has since done more acting and is slightly more known, but not like an A list celebrity or anything). I reached out to her for advice, both about the industry and just life because I had heard how she had been so sweet and helpful to others. We communicated only through email. She was in her 20's and was like a mentor/older sister to me. The following year, we met in person when I got to go to a charity event that she was at to promote the show that she was working on at the time. So my dad and I went there and we met and had a really great weekend. The thing was, I was a star struck pre-teen who saw her as a trusted friend because she was so amazingly nice to me. But she probably saw me more as just a young girl who she mentored and who looked up to her as an actress. We didn't know each other THAT well.

That weekend was the only weekend that we ever actually met, the rest of the time we only communicated through emails/letters/cards. I am now 17, a Christian, and about a billion times more mature. I no longer do acting auditions or classes, no longer have the problems that I needed mentoring for, and I just naturally drifted away from this girl because I was so caught up in focusing on God and the friends that He had given me from youth group that I drifted away from most everything else without really realizing it. I always just naturally assumed that this girl was a Christian because she talked about praying and was so kind and everything. However, I just recently started looking on her Facebook page and realized that she is pretty much Universalist, has very messed up theology, and is definitely not saved. God has put her on my heart, so I really want to witness to her.....But since we were never EXTREMELY close, and now haven't even had a conversation in over a year, how would I do it? A random letter on Facebook would be weird coming from me who she harldy knows now. Just being a good example by what I say on my Facebook page hasn't worked. Any other ideas? I have been seeking God with this and really feel like I am supposed to do it, but I don't know how! :wave I have a link that has great scriptures & a prayer at the bottom of the page. This could be a witnessing tool for you to use.:hug http://www.jesuschristis.com/know_jesus.html

HugsFromJesus
March 10th, 2011, 01:07 AM
If it was me I would write her an email that goes sorta like this:

Hi, remember me? I used to love our talks and really appreciated you taking the time to be a mentor to me when things were difficult. I have recently become a born again Christian and I have found such peace. Since we talked about things along those lines when I was younger and not yet saved, looking back I would have thought you might be too but I wouldn't have picked up on it then. I recently looked at your Facebook page and now I am a little confused whether you are or not, so can I ask you a question? Who is Jesus to you? I would love to tell you about Him if you don't know Him. Would that be okay? Love, Megan

If she answers and starts a dialogue then yippee! If she doesn't answer, I would drop it, as those Hollywood types are tough nuts to crack. But you never know. Maybe it will be down the road during a crisis in her life that she will remember you and want to hear about Jesus then. Sometimes we have to hit bottom. If she is getting wordly attention and material rewards, these are what most are seeking and she would most likely be content remaining just where she is.

Good luck and I will be praying. :hug :hug

Genesis22
March 10th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Wow! Okay so, I wrote this when I was half asleep and totally didn't realize how much I had typed. lol Sorry about that! I wanted to give an idea of what our relationship was like, but that was a lot of information. haha

Thank you both for the advice! A Facebook message is pretty much the only way, so I'm going to have to do it, because I really feel like God wants me to. I will let you guys know if anything happens.

Acts5:41
March 10th, 2011, 05:34 PM
One of the things I ask for every day "Open hearts for the Gospel" - particularly in this case.

Genesis22
March 16th, 2011, 07:50 PM
My heart is just so sad for her :sad

I tagged her (and all of my Facebook friends) in a note with the salvation message in it. Problem being, it doesn't notify them that they were tagged, so they will only see it if they look on their profiles and see that someone tagged them in something (most people look on their profiles often anyways though). But I mean, if God wants someone to see it, He will lead them to their profile to see it. I prayed that God would lead her and others to it, and that their hearts will be open to it (both to wanting to read it and accepting it once they read it).

I know that He is doing His will, and I know that she is in God's hands now......but I still feel uneasy, like I should specifically tell her. Yet at the same time, I'm afraid that she DID see the tag message and just didn't respond.....in which case I would just be pushing her farther away if I sent her a message in addition to that. Ah I don't know! I guess it can't hurt anything to talk to her though.

Acts5:41
March 16th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I think you can use the times to your advantage. "When things are bad, it's good to know God loves us no matter what.... "