PDA

View Full Version : What are the risks of a government shut down?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]

Buzzardhut
April 9th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I have a new deal for 2012 :heh

userpen
April 9th, 2011, 04:14 PM
For the last few decades, government shutdowns have been guided by an OMB directive issued during Reagan Administration. Under this directive, military personnel would continue to receive the paychecks while politicians argued about the budget. The Clinton Administration, during the last government shutdown, kept the paychecks flowing. But the Obama Administration has overturned the old OMB directive and has said they would suspend military paychecks if there is a government shutdown. Evidently they wanted to raise the stakes and put more pressure on the Republicans to compromise. Surprise! It worked.

NUmarcus
April 9th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Discouraging turn of events to say the least, but given what we have been witness to over the last few years it is not that surprising. Just out of curiousity....anybody know what the government would have to cut just to keep pace with the interest on what we owe etc.?

I don't know what to really say that hasn't been already expanded upon. Like many of the previous posters I am really sick of watching this. Every time I hear a sound bite from an elected official I just shake my head in wonderment at what planet they are inhabiting.

Buzzardhut
April 9th, 2011, 06:29 PM
If you think that was fun wait until they start work on this years budget!

What a travesty. . . I'm not real happy with the GOP.

What exactly did the GOP do?

lcolem
April 9th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I'm glad it all worked out because my husband would have been affected but we would have been OK.

Mypay had posted LES's yesterday and then pulled them because they knew service members were checking them. The Defense and Accounting Agency in Virginia was tired of getting phone calls lol. I know a spouse who's husband has allotments taken out for many bills and by looking at his LES yesterday, it showed that he would have only got like $2.00 after getting only half his check! I'm glad congress worked things out because had they not, service members would of only gotten half a check on the 15th and depending on how long the shut down lasted.....they wouldn't have gotten anything May 1st!

Daniel1210
April 9th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Well, the shutdown was avoided but oh I hope this:

US Military to Receive only Half-Pay
Our Soldiers today learned that they are due to receive only half of their pay on 15 April,...
costs Obama when the next election comes, if he even gets the nimination.

MidwestMama
April 9th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I'm glad a shutdown was avoided, if for no other reason than the sake of our military and their families.

It boils my blood that the dems were more concerned about funding Planned Parenthood than they were about paying our men and women in uniform. And I'll stop there because anything else I have to say about it would be decidedly un-Christian. :sad

waiting1
April 11th, 2011, 08:14 AM
If the Millenium had an unemployment line it would be filled with Politicians. :lol