PDA

View Full Version : What are the risks of a government shut down?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

userpen
March 29th, 2011, 10:18 PM
What are the risks if our government shuts down?

I would say that the risk is somewhat less if it shuts down that if it keeps on running.

Tall Timbers
March 29th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Our government doesn't completely shut down. During my 20 years in the military there were a few times when we thought our pay might not get deposited on time, but we kept up our global missions all the same.

Only non-essential shuts down. Of course everyone with a government job, or at least almost everyone, considers themselves essential... What's amazing sometimes is what falls under essential when they do a partial shutdown.

Tall Timbers
March 29th, 2011, 10:31 PM

I would say that the risk is somewhat less if it shuts down that if it keeps on running.

I agree!

SaintTexas
March 30th, 2011, 02:57 PM

:rotfl

Hootmon
March 30th, 2011, 03:25 PM

I would say that the risk is somewhat less if it shuts down that if it keeps on running.No kidding.

They act as if more laws is a good thing. How about reviewing all the ones we already have and getting rid of the ones that dont work.

ScoobyDoo
March 31st, 2011, 09:06 AM
Well I am a fed government employee and in my program we do a lot of good things for rural america. I know everyone is anti-government lately but there are a lot of hard working Americans in the government. The constant back and forth regarding a shutdown is very demoralizing for us Fed workers. You can not even plan. Don't forget that we are also taxpayers and care about our country and economy. I also would like the deficit to be drastically reduced.

Just remember that we are people too when you make your comments.

YSIC

angelka71
March 31st, 2011, 10:01 AM
It happened in 1995 under Clinton and it amounted to not a whole lot. There weren't any riots or anything. I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah, I remember when it happened back then, all you heard about was this huge risk that the government might shut down and how horrible it would be. When it happened, it wasn't a big deal at all. Well, exept maybe for Hillary Clinton. If memory serves Monica and Bill first got together during the shut down.

SaintTexas
April 1st, 2011, 09:58 AM
Well I am a fed government employee and in my program we do a lot of good things for rural america. I know everyone is anti-government lately but there are a lot of hard working Americans in the government. The constant back and forth regarding a shutdown is very demoralizing for us Fed workers. You can not even plan. Don't forget that we are also taxpayers and care about our country and economy. I also would like the deficit to be drastically reduced.

Just remember that we are people too when you make your comments.

YSIC

I think the reference was to Congress and the White House and any Obama appointees--in my mind it was, anyway.

I am sorry for any stress this possibility puts on you personally.

Raptureorbust
April 2nd, 2011, 12:14 AM
When it happened in the 90's non essential employees were basically laid off. So they went down first thing in the AM and filed for unemployment and that got all processed causing more work... then when the budget was agreed upon on all of the employees ended up getting paid, never missed a day of pay though some worked and some didn't. Of course they didn't get the unemployment compensation.

And for those that were considered non essential positions no one received the benefit of their working.

This is from my memory, it was scary cause it was new and personal here at home. But then it ended up almost like a huge waste of money and effort.

RuntheRace
April 4th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I was working for the VA, as I still do. Considered esstential, as I still am.
When the shutdown occur, we had to report for duty. The first payday after the shutdown, we got one week's pay- which covered the one week we worked during that pay period when the government was still "open for business" It was four or six weeks later when we got another paycheck. They did pay us "back pay" for the time that the government was shut down, but in my case it was pay due to me because I had worked during that time.

Most of the services that are truly cut are things such as processing passports, national parks, national monuments and museums.