PDA

View Full Version : What are the risks of a government shut down?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

icebear
April 4th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I look at a government shutdown as a time for cheering - Yeah, they can't mess anything up! (At least while they're not there.)
yeah, i'm in this camp :heh

MelAnne
April 6th, 2011, 12:41 AM
I think really the only ones a shut down affects are those who work for the federal government. The looming shut down is weighing very heavy on the minds of our service members and their families right now. Many junior enlisted, and even many families who aren't so junior live pay check to pay check, just barely scraping together enough to get bills paid and food on the table. If they don't get paid, I worry about how this is going to impact them. As a military family ourselves, I'm worried about how my husband and I are going to pay bills if my husband doesn't get paid . . . it's our only income. We recently had a huge plumbing repair bill that wiped out what little savings we had, so we have nothing to fall back on except credit cards, which we have been slowly chipping away at. And those won't last us long before they are maxed out. Fortunately, I've been slowly stockpiling food and other supplies "just in case," so we should at least have food to eat for several weeks. And I know I can call our creditors and utility companies to explain the situation and work with them on payment of our bills until DH starts getting a pay check again. But if a shut down carries on for more than a few weeks, we are going to be in serious trouble. I have been meditating on Matthew 6:24-36 today. God knows our needs and will provide. Somehow, we'll be able to keep food in our kids' tummies, clothes on their backs, and a roof over our heads. I know I just need to trust that God will provide. But it is so hard not to worry. I have had this unshakable sense of peace in the face of all the turmoil going on around us these past few months . . . with the threat of economic collapse looming in the distance, I felt secure, knowing God would provide. But now that economic hardship is actually staring me in the face, and it's my own family's well-being that is being threatened by this shut down, the anxiety is returning and threatening to drown that peace I have been enjoying for months now. I keep repeating over and over to myself that God will provide, and I think I'm going to read back through Matthew 6:24-36 a few times before I turn in tonight. I pray God will restore my sense of peace as I rest in the knowledge that he is in control.

There was an article in the Navy Times today that explained how all of this is going to work for the military. If the government shuts down, and I think since they all seem more interested in pointing fingers at each other and blaming each other for the impasse rather than actually making compromises and setting politics aside to get a budget passed that it more than likely will shut down, all troops and essential federal employees continue to work. Anyone deemed non-essential is out of work until the government is back up and running. Troops and essential federal employees work without pay during a shut down, but get back pay as soon as a budget is passed. Non-essential federal employees don't have to work during the shut down, but get back pay when the budget is passed. Contractors who work for the government get the short end of the stick . . . they don't work during the shut down, and don't get back pay when the shut down is over. State and local governments continue to run, I believe. I don't think those who work outside of the federal government or in areas that don't really have many federal employees are going to see much in the way of changes due to the shut down. Life will continue as normal for the vast majority of US citizens. It is the military communities, military families, and the area surrounding DC that will see the immediate effects of a shut down. For most, the shut down will be over before the effects have a chance to trickle down to impact the entire nation.

What frustrates me most about this whole situation, even beyond the personal financial strain a shut down will place on my family and many of our friends, is that we have so many troops deployed overseas right now who very likely will not be getting pay checks this next pay period. They are already worried about their families back home and how bills are going to get paid. When it's actually happening, how on earth does the government expect them to be able to carry out their duties free of distraction? I worry that this is going to affect troop readiness. They already have so many different factors affecting morale right now . . . they are stretched thin, budget cuts are taking their toll, DADT "sensitivity training" and the changes the repeal of DADT is bringing about, long deployments/separations from loved ones . . . throw this on top of all of that, and I worry we will see some service members snap! Asking a civilian employee who is never in harm's way, is not defending our country, and is not deployed thousands of miles away from home and loved ones is one thing. Asking a service member who places his life on the line on a daily basis to defend our freedom and who endures months-long separations from his loved ones back home is something entirely different. One representative is trying to get a measure pushed through that will at least ensure service members get paid during this shut down. But because politicians will try to tack other funding onto that measure, they are saying it has little chance of passing. It's enough to make me sick! Set aside the politics already! If you care anything for our service members, just pass the measure without trying to tack something else onto it!!!

I apologize for the book . . . this issue is just hitting really close to home right now.

Tall Timbers
April 6th, 2011, 01:06 AM
A government shut down will certainly sideline some Federal workers, some of which are our brothers and sisters in Christ. I was in the military during one or more very short term shut downs and the only thing I can remember is wondering whether or not my paycheck would be deposited on time. I had to work regardless, because the military, in it's entirety, was considered essential, if I remember correctly... under Obama, though, the military might not be considered essential.

The bottom line with Federal employees, is that there are way too many of them, brothers and sisters or not, and the number of Federal employees must decrease along withe the salary and benefits of those whose positions survive, if our government is going to shrink to a reasonable and constitutional size. We are a nation in decline, and must not only get our government spending under control, but must shrink government and it's spending as our nation declines economically.

cheymat
April 7th, 2011, 07:29 AM
WASHINGTON The Obama administration warned Wednesday that a federal shutdown would undermine the economic recovery, delay pay to U.S. troops fighting in three wars, slow the processing of tax returns and limit small business loans and government-backed mortgages during peak home buying season.

The dire message, delivered two days before the federal government's spending authority expires, appeared aimed at jolting congressional Republicans into a budget compromise. Billions of dollars apart, congressional negotiators were working to strike a deal by Friday to avert a shutdown by setting spending limits through the end of September. The last such shutdown took place 15 years ago and lasted 21 days.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110407/ap_on_re_us/us_government_shutdown

Wally
April 7th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Maybe if we let this overstuffed bureacracy die on the vine, we might even do better.

cheymat
April 7th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I say shut it down. So what if they wont pay us. I just wont pay my bills on the 15th. At least we will have enough money so we can eat beans and rice for the next 2 weeks. Ive already given this matter over to The Lord, ill let Him deal with it.

Tall Timbers
April 7th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I was in the military during the last shutdown. I can't remember if our paychecks were delayed or not. I do remember folks worrying that they might be.

Knightwatch
April 7th, 2011, 10:28 AM
If we don't get our finances in order the military may never get paid!!!

Raphael
April 7th, 2011, 10:39 AM
It could be considered bad form not to pay people who have advanced weaponry.

nursemom
April 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I say shut it down. So what if they wont pay us. I just wont pay my bills on the 15th. At least we will have enough money so we can eat beans and rice for the next 2 weeks. Ive already given this matter over to The Lord, ill let Him deal with it.

I think to not pay our military is the highest form of evil and I will make sure to never again vote for anyone involved in it. I don't care how conservative they are.