PDA

View Full Version : What are the risks of a government shut down?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

BigMoose
April 7th, 2011, 09:41 PM
This is making people wake up, exercise some judgment, and take a stand on these issues of import to the Republic. While we the people try to figure out this mess, the POTUS or is it the poser in chief is off to another vacation... I no longer know what to say. I am speechless.

edit: I think he has gone too far this time. The public is going to turn on him. He could have stayed in the White House and the press would have protected his image... but there can be no explanation for this blatant disregard for the good of the Republic. The Repubs need to camp out in the House chamber, and say we are ready any time you are...

Daniel1210
April 7th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Fron the OP:

Scare tactics..0bama wont pay troops
WASHINGTON The Obama administration warned Wednesday that a federal shutdown would undermine the economic recovery, delay pay to U.S. troops fighting in three wars, slow the processing of tax returns and limit small business loans and government-backed mortgages during peak home buying season.
What this so called Commander-In-Chief doesn't know about morale is pathetic.

HumbleBerean
April 8th, 2011, 12:07 AM
That should have been separated out in a separate bill.

It was separated out and passed the House. Obama said he would veto it.

http://nation.foxnews.com/government-shutdown/2011/04/07/obama-threatens-veto-bill-pays-american-soldiers

The U.S. House passed a 1-week stop gap measure Thursday. It will fund the military for the rest of the year, and cuts $12 billion in domestic spending.

President Obama has already threatened to veto that bill -- and Senator Harry Reid has made no promises that it will even get a hearing in the Senate.

twinkle
April 8th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Scare tactics..0bama wont pay troops
WASHINGTON The Obama administration warned Wednesday that a federal shutdown would undermine the economic recovery, delay pay to U.S. troops fighting in three wars, slow the processing of tax returns and limit small business loans and government-backed mortgages during peak home buying season.

Mean-spirited to the core. :evil3

cheymat
April 8th, 2011, 09:36 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110408/ap_on_re_us/us_spending_showdown

from the article

Republicans want deeper spending cuts than the Democrats favor and also are pressing for provisions to cut off federal funds to Planned Parenthood and stop the Environmental Protection Agency from issuing numerous anti-pollution regulations.

Well all i have to say is if i have to go without a paycheck and/or half a check to defund Planned parenthood and stop the EPA so be it. I dont want my tax $ to fund abortions!! This backwoods country girl knows how to live off the land.

SoThankful
April 8th, 2011, 10:03 AM
ETS'ing from the military is one of the best things I've ever done, I saw the handwriting on the wall when obama took office. I know I was living paycheck to paycheck and many of these guys on active duty are doing the same thing. One of the guys on active duty I still keep in touch with said they were given memos to send to creditors and for their utilities, etc. They were told to save there money for food and the necessities. This is truly shameful.

cheymat
April 8th, 2011, 10:25 AM
thats what we were planning to do. Just not pay bills and take what we got and put it toward food.

OnceWasLost
April 8th, 2011, 10:26 AM
The budget they keep extending was supposed to be passed last year when the Dems held all of the power (super majorities in both houses and the presidency). They have no one to blame but themselves.

Heck, the Repub extenesion bill fully funds the military, and Barry threatens to veto it? Like I said, no one to blame but themselves...

Bravo Hoot!

Oh how I wish people were educated about how we got here. (RR readers are an exception) If all the people who are belly aching would know this is last year's budget, that the dems refused to pass, they would be doing whatever was needed to make it pass. They know people are not informed enough to know how we got to this place, so they roll out the same tired cliche's.

To play with soldiers lives and livelihoods is so like a dem leader. He is a coward and couldn't even lead his own party to pass this budget. All this when not even a single Republican vote was needed to pass the 2011 budget on time.

We should be talking about the 2012 Budget, instead we are talking about shutdown because the dems willfully failed to do their job in the last congress.

HeLives
April 8th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Military gets paid the 1st and the 15th

Civilians get paid every two weeks. Next payday is Tuesday, April 19 although the paycheck usually arrives early on the Saturday before...so April 16.

Military retirees get paid on the 1st of the month.

mom4Yehoshua
April 8th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I have a personal problem with this one, as it effects my family directly. My dad is serving in the army and my brother-in-law is serving in the army as well. They can survive maybe a month's worth without it completely crippling their present living situations. However, there is great worry about what would happen if it extends itself past the month...I fear we are potentially going to go past a month. Anyone else fear this for our families and the rest of the troops?

I leave it in God's hands to provide for my family and take care of them. :pray
Please pray for a quick and speedy recovery from any shut down, should it officially go into effect. It would mean a lot to me and my family. :hug