PDA

View Full Version : I Need help?

Pages : [1] 2

Christ4ever777
April 7th, 2011, 10:02 AM
My sister wants to join another religion to find out answers about God she cant find in Christianity. What do I do? I wrote her a letter saying that she wasn't going to find answers about God in false religions and I quoted 2 John 1:9 saying that these false religions arent pointing to Christ and if they arent pointing to Christ we should have no part in them.

antitox
April 7th, 2011, 12:25 PM
You told her right. I would add that her opening that door is indeed dancing on the edge of a cliff.

I've seen it before and I've watched them fall.

LittleLadyLovinGod
April 7th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Be praying for her definitely! Im sorry to hear this. Maybe ask her what it is she wants to know? Brothers and sisters here can help you find the answer...

acceptedintheBeloved
April 7th, 2011, 01:46 PM
My sister wants to join another religion to find out answers about God she cant find in Christianity. What do I do? I wrote her a letter saying that she wasn't going to find answers about God in false religions and I quoted 2 John 1:9 saying that these false religions arent pointing to Christ and if they arent pointing to Christ we should have no part in them.

I would probably point out the following:

"God branded [His Word, the Bible] with a unique watermark, one impervious to counterfeiters.

So what is this watermark which identifies the true Word of God? It is fulfilled prophecy."

- Britt Gillette.

Jesus had come exactly 483 "biblical/prophetic" years from the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem (Neh 2), when He rode into Jerusalem on a colt and officially "presented Himself" as Messiah (Dan 9:25), on (what is known as) Palm Sunday, just as prophesied in the Bible.

Interestingly, Israel became a nation again in 1948 (exactly 2520 "biblical/prophetic" years from 537BC, just as prophesied in the Bible),
and Jerusalem was recaptured in 1967 (exactly 2520 "biblical/prophetic" years from 518BC, just as prophesied in the Bible).

In the Bible God declares that He is the only One who can tell the future, consistently and accurately. These are things which can be, and indeed have been, observed. We can be confident that the rest of His prophecies will also be precisely (and literally) fulfilled.

No other so-called "holy book" (or "religion") can do this. (Isaiah 46:5, 9-10; Isaiah 45:21-22; Isaiah 44:6-8; Isaiah 42:8-9; Isaiah 41:20-24, etc.)

He tells us these things (in His Word) so we can be confident in knowing what is TRUE.

Choose wisely. :hat

ETA: a link to an article along these same lines -

"The Bible: Proofs of Its Supernatural Origin"

http://www.gospeloutreach.net/bibsuper.html

Also, I would refer her to Acts 17:31NASB, "because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead."

No other so-called "religious founder" has done this.

Christ4ever777
April 7th, 2011, 02:37 PM
One of her questions was about God. She asked me did God create himself and I told her no that God existed before time began. She also knows that these religions are false she wrote me back agreeing that they were. So I dont know what else I can tell her.

Kliska
April 7th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I would suggest that most of what she is seeking and asking about is indeed contained in the scripture. I have hunch she may like to study the names of God; for example, His name "I AM" shows that He is self-existent.

Here's one link if you think that would be something helpful: http://www.gotquestions.org/names-of-God.html

ComeLordJesus
April 7th, 2011, 02:58 PM
One of her questions was about God. She asked me did God create himself and I told her no that God existed before time began. She also knows that these religions are false she wrote me back agreeing that they were. So I dont know what else I can tell her.
In all the other, non-Abrahamic, 'world religions' there is no answer to this either. They posit that 'god' existed as a perfect being who falls into lower consciousness and that all that exists, including humanity, is an expression of their god's lower consciousness. When human beings 'become aware/illuminated/enlightened/achieve Nirvana/Samadhi/etc., they return to this god in bliss or annihilation. What they don't tell you up front is at most a handful of any kind of beings nearly reach this at any time, like a rather steep pyramid. Problems is, this happens over and over in what the Hindus call yugas (not yoga- that's a practice of yoking with Hindu 'gods'!) and the lifetime(s) of their god Brahma. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuga * Not only do beings reincarnate, so does 'existence'. You'd think 'god' would learn not to keep falling into stupidity. :tsk Sadly, this is also what Gnostic so-called Christianity also teaches as it is a synthesis and corruption of Christianity with Eastern religions and paganism. Details change, I might be off about some of it, but the basics remain the same - humanity is 'god' in disguise and just needs to realize it to be freed - until the next go round. :rolleyes

Please ask your sister to come and ask her questions on this board. Maybe together we can all help her. :hug

As you know, it's not a good idea for her to try to learn about God from other religions. How do I know? I took this path with disastrous results, and learned all this the hard way. I've come to realize that God does not reveal all things this side of life. Maybe that's to encourage us to have faith in Him, and to trust that He means the best for us. :idunno

Really, what helped/helps me is reading the entire Bible. If she's willing to do all that research into other religions, hopefully she'd be willing to just read the Bible and do research on it alone. It's not as big a task as some people think. My Bible is 1,059 pages. I just read two 600 page novels this week. Granted, the Bible induces me to read it devotionally and prayerfully, but I first read it quickly word-for-word just to get a basic knowledge. I tried not to get bogged down in issues, but I would read commentary if I really didn't understand something. I still got a tremendous amount out of understanding just reading as quickly as I could. I'm on my second round through the Bible. I still read it fairly quickly, chapter-by-chapter, book-by-book, but I take more time out for prayer and research when I need to. In the end, I figure it was no more pages than reading all those Buddhist/Vedanta/New Age/Wicca books I used to read.

Yuga (Devanāgari: युग) in Hindu philosophy is the name of an 'epoch' or 'era' within a cycle of four ages. These are the Krita Yuga, the Treta Yuga, the Dvapara Yuga, and finally the Kali Yuga. According to Hindu cosmology, life in the universe is created, destroyed once every 4.1 to 8.2 billion years,[1][2] which is one full day (day and night) for Brahma. The lifetime of a Brahma [the Hindu's ultimate god] himself may be 311 trillion and 40 Billion years.[2] The cycles are said to repeat like the seasons, waxing and waning within a greater time-cycle of the creation and destruction of the universe. Like Summer, Spring, Winter and Autumn, each yuga involves stages or gradual changes which the earth and the consciousness of mankind goes through as a whole. A complete yuga cycle from a high Golden Age of enlightenment to a Dark Age and back again is said to be caused by the solar system's motion around another star.[3]

Vozda
April 8th, 2011, 01:47 AM
There's a book called "I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist" that gives a step by step analysis--using science and philosophy showing why other religions cannot be right and why Christianity is right. Maybe that can help.
Or is it more of a personal issue for her? I know that before I came to Christ, I went on a ten+ year "spiritual" journey through all kinds of religous beliefs.

angelka71
April 8th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I will pray for you and your sister. :hug

IMSAVED
April 8th, 2011, 01:53 PM
One of the things you could do is listen to her with wisdom and respect. You can then tell her your side of what you believe and why.Then after you have told her about Jesus Christ it is up to God to change her heart you will not be able to do that.