PDA

View Full Version : Netanyahu readies for showdown with Abbas at UN

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

tëbbs
September 22nd, 2011, 07:20 PM
Netanyahu holds meetings with Clinton, other heads of state, as Israeli diplomats work to sway international opinion ahead of Security Council hearing on Palestinian statehood.

NEW YORK – Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu spent Thursday in New York behind closed doors preparing his much-touted public verbal duel with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas at the United Nations General Assembly on Friday morning.

During what is expected to be a dramatic showdown, Abbas will likely make an emotional bid to the represented nations, asking that they recognize Palestinian statehood, irrespective of any peace process with Israel. Netanyahu will then state Israel’s case to the Assembly.

“You will hear a forceful enunciation of Israel’s narrative, and its desire for peace with the Palestinians and its Arab neighbors,” an Israeli official said.

Netanyahu’s message would be one that a majority of Israelis would be able to stand behind, the official said.

More at: http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=239128

waitin
September 22nd, 2011, 07:32 PM
Go Bibi!!

Mom2ten
September 22nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
:pray

Rei
September 22nd, 2011, 07:53 PM
I'm really quite excited to see what goes down. And also secretly wondering if a certain satellite will go down. :heh

Cheryl4Christ
September 22nd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Will there be any way to watch this?

readynwaiting
September 22nd, 2011, 08:12 PM
Will there be any way to watch this?

THIS.... when and where?

readynwaiting
September 22nd, 2011, 08:24 PM
I can't find any particular schedule of speakers through UN channels online, only that there will be general debate all day tomorrow. They do have this link for webcasting, though. I'm sure word will get out as the day progresses.

http://www.unmultimedia.org/tv/webcast/index.html

readynwaiting
September 23rd, 2011, 08:14 AM
From the following link of the 9am - 3pm time-slots: (therefore probably in the early afternoon)

http://www.un.org/Docs/journal/En/lateste.pdf

11. Continuation of the general debate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [8]
Address by His Excellency Mr. Mahmoud Abbas, Chairman of the Executive
Committee of the Palestinian Liberation Organization and President of the
Palestinian Authority
Address by His Excellency Mr. Yoshihiko Noda, Prime Minister of Japan
Address by His Excellency Mr. Lyonchoen Jigmi Yoezer Thinley, Prime Minister
of the Kingdom of Bhutan
Address by His Excellency Mr. Benjamin Netanyahu, Prime Minister of the State
of Israel
Address by His Excellency Mr. Fredrik Reinfeldt, Prime Minister of the Kingdom
of Sweden

readynwaiting
September 23rd, 2011, 08:59 AM
@ofirgendelman Ofir Gendelman
PM #Netanyahu's speech at the #UN will start at 12:30 ET.

Cheryl4Christ
September 23rd, 2011, 09:08 AM
Ah I see, all the meetings are closed. I wasn't sure if they were going to be televised or not. Don't laugh :lol2 , I am clueless!