PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't John 3:5 require baptism for salvation?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Genesis22
June 27th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I was baptized when I was a baby, I think I was just 2 months old. I just accepted Jesus this year though, and I was wondering if I am supposed to get baptized again, or if it still counts from before and I am just supposed to accept the baptism from before (I don't know if that makes any sense). My pastor said that there is no rule to how many times you get baptized, so it is fine to do it again since I just got born again....But I don't know if it feels right since I already received baptism. Does the bible say one way or another about this?

lyngraphics
June 27th, 2010, 10:21 PM
You can be Baptized again, for sure... if fact I would encourage it since you were "baptized" as a baby. Our Pastor just went to Israel and all members there (including him) got Baptized in the river there.

HugsFromJesus
June 27th, 2010, 10:43 PM
I was baptized as a baby but not since and honestly I don't feel the need. If I am in the right place at the right time and I feel a nudging, I will do it, but I know it is not needed for Salvation. Pray about it and do what feels right to you. :hug

carolina_guy
June 28th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I would also encourage you to get baptized as the first time you were not saved. Everyone in the New Testament was baptized after they were born again. :)

Infant baptism is not biblical, so technically you have never been baptized. Pray about it and let the Holy Spirit guide you to make a decision in obedience. :hug

spirit1st
June 28th, 2010, 10:26 AM
There are different baptisms!
But We follow our LORD , if We REALLY LOVE HIM!
So He did ! We should!

1Pe 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Water baptism is a outward showing! that we are dead in Him!
Meaning , We follow Only Him!

I believe , Faith takes an action!

1Co 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

I was baptized by WATER and also by the Holy Ghost !

Jesus talks about another baptism. But I think it more of an anointing! The anointing are different!
They are for a type of work?

Mar 10:37 They said unto him, Grant unto us that we may sit, one on thy right hand, and the other on thy left hand, in thy glory.
Mar 10:38 But Jesus said unto them, Ye know not what ye ask: can ye drink of the cup that I drink of? and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?
Mar 10:39 And they said unto him, We can. And Jesus said unto them, Ye shall indeed drink of the cup that I drink of; and with the baptism that I am baptized withal shall ye be baptized:
Mar 10:40 But to sit on my right hand and on my left hand is not mine to give; but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared.

WE should always ask the Spirit of truth? Is this the correct understanding LORD!? He will reveal it to us!

carol1948
June 28th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I would encourage you to be baptised as an act of obedience to Christ. It is not required for salvation, but we want to be like Jesus, so baptism is a good place to start. It symbolizes death to sin and rising to new life in Christ. I can almost guarantee you will be very satisfied that you did. Otherwise, you may continually find yourself explaining to yourself and others how "you didn't feel the need to be baptised again". It isn't about feelings, it's about Jesus. BTW, welcome to the family of God!!!

Kliska
June 28th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I would say do what you feel led to do...pray about it and see what comes up. I was "baptized" as an infant and felt led to be baptized when I was nine years old. It was a public confession of my faith, and I cherish the memory and haven't ever doubted, that, for me, it was what God wanted me to do.

Accepted
June 28th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Hi! I'm new to the forum and just posted my testimony on the New Members thread today. I'd just like to say that I also was baptized as a baby. After I became a born again believer, and as I became more familiar with God's Word, it was clear to me that the Bible instructs us to "repent and be baptized" (Acts 2:38). It is something God tells us to do as evidence of what has taken place in our hearts, so one must come before the other. The issue is not whether baptism saves us -- it does not -- it is a matter of obeying the Lord, and trusting that He always uses our obedience in wonderful ways! This is something no one can do for us, even though our parents have the best of intentions. After I realized this, I was baptized as a believing adult, because Jesus said that if we love him, we'll obey him (John 14:15).

There are many matters of obedience in the Christian life that have nothing to do with salvation, but have everything to do with sanctification -- making us more like Jesus, and bringing us into closer fellowship with God. You will never regret obeying the Lord who loves you!:wave

Genesis22
June 28th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Thank you everyone! I am still going to pray about it for a while, but after reading this, I am pretty sure that I want to get baptized. :)

Verisimilitude
June 28th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I'm an ex-catholic and a born again believer. When I was 3 weeks old, I was baptized in a catholic church. I had nothing to do with it except to be there. I didn't choose Jesus at that time and after I became a born again believer, I never felt that baptism counted.
I am currently 51 years of age. In April of this year, I went on a tour to Israel. While on the tour, the group was given the opportunity to be baptized in the Jordan River at Yardenit. I said yes and so did 10 others of my group.
God in His grace rewarded me for finally being obedient and getting baptized. Twenty-six years ago I tore ligaments in my right shoulder. It's been getting worse ever since. It got to a point where it was so painful, it would wake me up at night and where I lost movement. At times I couldn't raise my right arm higher than shoulder height because of the pain, in spite of physical therapy. The pain was there for 26 years, until my Baptism in the Jordan. The pain left me at that time and my right arm and shoulder are now fully functional. PRAISE GOD!!!!
I highly recommed getting baptized the correct way, the way Jesus did. Full water immersion which represents our death to sin and resurrection in Jesus Christ. Choose to make a public statement that you are a follower of the Lamb of God. Infant baptism and sprinkling are just not equal to making an adult decision for yourself and experiencing the same type of baptism that Jesus did.:rapture:rapture:rapture:rapture:rapture:raptu re:rapture