PDA

View Full Version : Sabbath keeping

PeeDee
July 3rd, 2012, 07:41 PM
The Sabbath day is the 4th commandment, So many people tell me it's sunday now. God rested on the last day of the week, then it changed to sunday when Jesus rose again?? Why did it change God rested on saturday right?? Why do so many christians so the 4th commandment doesnt apply anymore?? I have a really hard time with this, i also have a hard time with once saved always saved. Jesus warned the 7 churches in revelation, the lukewarm, fornicators etc. Why would he warn them of the danger of being lukewarm if once save always saved?? If once saved always saved then i'm saved, i could do anything i want right?? I have trouble with this, i believe we are to accept Jesus as our savior and then repent. turn away from sin and since the sabbath is the 4th commandment that would making working on that day a sin right?? so you should repent of it?? plus what day is it??

james46888
July 3rd, 2012, 10:34 PM
The Sabbath day is the 4th commandment, So many people tell me it's sunday now. God rested on the last day of the week, then it changed to sunday when Jesus rose again?? Why did it change God rested on saturday right?? Why do so many christians so the 4th commandment doesnt apply anymore??

No, the Sabbath was never changed from Saturday to Sunday in the Bible. The NT clearly states the Mosaic Law - of which the Sabbath was part of - was done away with when Jesus died. The believer, according to the NT, now follows the law of Christ, which has different commands. Nine of the original ten commandments (Mosaic Law actually had 613 commandments in all) are carried over from the law of Moses into the law of Christ but the keeping of the Sabbath is not one of them since it is ceremonial in nature, like the laws against eating pork, shellfish, etc. Sunday began in the NT to be a day of worship (not a Sabbath) for Christians since it was the day on which Jesus rose. As Ignatius wrote in 110 AD:

"If, then, those who walk in the ancient practices attain to newness of hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but fashioning their lives after the Lord's Day on which our life also arose through Him, that we may be found disciples of Jesus Christ, our only teacher."

Shannon9602
July 3rd, 2012, 10:55 PM
Sunday was not the day Jesus rose. Jesus rose on Saturday but Mary found the tomb empty on Sunday. This is why many people get confuse.

iSong6:3
July 3rd, 2012, 11:34 PM
No, the Sabbath was never changed from Saturday to Sunday in the Bible. The NT clearly states the Mosaic Law - of which the Sabbath was part of - was done away with when Jesus died. The believer, according to the NT, now follows the law of Christ, which has different commands. Nine of the original ten commandments (Mosaic Law actually had 613 commandments in all) are carried over from the law of Moses into the law of Christ but the keeping of the Sabbath is not one of them since it is ceremonial in nature, like the laws against eating pork, shellfish, etc. Sunday began in the NT to be a day of worship (not a Sabbath) for Christians since it was the day on which Jesus rose. As Ignatius wrote in 110 AD:

"If, then, those who walk in the ancient practices attain to newness of hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but fashioning their lives after the Lord's Day on which our life also arose through Him, that we may be found disciples of Jesus Christ, our only teacher."

:thumb

PeeDee - The things of the OT were types and shadows, the fulfillment of which are found in Jesus.

The command for the Jews to keep the Sabbath was not repeated in the NT because Jesus is our true Sabbath rest.

We have threads on this issue. We also have a big one on OSAS if you want to do a search for it. :nod

PickensSlim
July 4th, 2012, 08:53 AM
The Sabbath day is the 4th commandment, So many people tell me it's sunday now. God rested on the last day of the week, then it changed to sunday when Jesus rose again?? Why did it change God rested on saturday right?? Why do so many christians so the 4th commandment doesnt apply anymore?? I have a really hard time with this, i also have a hard time with once saved always saved. Jesus warned the 7 churches in revelation, the lukewarm, fornicators etc. Why would he warn them of the danger of being lukewarm if once save always saved?? If once saved always saved then i'm saved, i could do anything i want right?? I have trouble with this, i believe we are to accept Jesus as our savior and then repent. turn away from sin and since the sabbath is the 4th commandment that would making working on that day a sin right?? so you should repent of it?? plus what day is it??

1. Jesus said that he is our Sabbath rest. We need to rest in him. Keeping the sabbath was the only commandment that Jesus didn't repeat. He did say that he is our rest.

2. You CANNOT do anything to maintain your salvation. That would be works based salvation. If your are saved it is the Shepard's responsibility to keep you saved. My Shepard cannot loose one of his sheep.

BelovedChild
July 4th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Read Romans 14 1-12 (it is too long a passage to print and it is better to read)

Tthis passage tells about some people regarding one day as special thus honouring the Lord. Other people regard all days alike as honouring to the Lord.

The whole point of this passage is to do what is right for you. However there is only one restriction, we are not to judge or condemn others in their choices. Therefore, the SDA church and possibly others can be right in wanting to honour God on Saturday, However, if they condemn is for worshipping on Sunday they are wrong. We are wrong if we condemn them for worshipping on Saturdays. (However we should not worship the Sabbath itself. (This is IDOLATRY.)

Some local churches in our area have church services midweek. Many older people attend them, as well as people who have to work on Sundays. I imagine that if it happens in our area, it happens in a lot of places around the world.

The whole point is Christian Liberty and Grace.

Remember Jesus also said the "Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath".

If a person does hard, physical work during the week wants to take one day easy and read and study (or whatever kquietly) they are right to do so. If a person who lives/works a sedentery life style during the week wants to play sport/houseclean or whatever on their day, that is a day of rest (becasue it is a change from usual routine).

All that I would say is NOT TO NEGLECT MEETING AND HONOURING THE LORD THROUGH WORSHIP (Heb 10.25).

james46888
July 4th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Sunday was not the day Jesus rose. Jesus rose on Saturday but Mary found the tomb empty on Sunday. This is why many people get confuse.

Without sending this thread off on a tangent about Wednesday vs Friday crucifixions, all I'll say is IMO the Bible is clear He rose Sunday morning and you'll probably only find a handful of scholars who hold He rose Saturday (many of them SDA's who have an axe to grind).

PickensSlim
July 5th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Without sending this thread off on a tangent about Wednesday vs Friday crucifixions, all I'll say is IMO the Bible is clear He rose Sunday morning and you'll probably only find a handful of scholars who hold He rose Saturday (many of them SDA's who have an axe to grind).

It depends on whether your day begins at sundown or at sunrise.