PDA

View Full Version : What did the Messiah do for entertainment? Application to us?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

RoyalNChrist
July 4th, 2012, 12:06 AM
I have a question. Is there any record of Jesus Christ singing and dancing or watching others sing and dance for entertainment? Did he participate in any secular entertainment at the time? [I'm still making my way through the entire Bible]

I ask because I take Jesus as an example and taking Him as an example I figure I should always be evangelizing, never setting my eyes on something impure, and only singing and dancing to worship music. It seems I should spend very little time on personal entertainment at all, not even doing anything nice for my birthday. I should not find joy in anything not centered in my faith. Any insight on this? :)

The more I study Jesus the more thankful I am for grace. I spend a significant time partaking in entertainment, mostly because I have poor health and am inside, either at home or a hospital. I don't watch many movies anymore. Too many are disgusting in manner and subliminal:fear. I am cautious with video games and I don't watch TV. Still, I can't picture Our Brother Jesus sitting beside me with any sort of entertainment I do, besides singing worship music.

Thank you.

iSong6:3
July 4th, 2012, 12:29 AM
There is nothing explicit in the Bible about this.

I imagine Jesus did the things of His culture, He probably danced with men only (the sexes did not mingle socially) at weddings and sang praises/blessings to God during religious events.

$teve
July 4th, 2012, 04:33 AM
He went fishing for fishes (as well as people). Whether there was a recreational purpose to that activity, and possibly entertaining as it is for anyone of us who might go fishing for fun, who knows? :idunno

Buzzardhut
July 4th, 2012, 06:35 AM
He probably danced with men only :shocked

Wally
July 4th, 2012, 06:43 AM
He told incredible stories, and kids loved Him.

Genesis22
July 4th, 2012, 07:38 AM
In the bible, He did go to wedding parties (which apparently lastrd several days back then), had dinners with His friends, and took time to rest. So, it's definitely okay for us to do those things...as long as they don't come before God/ministry. I know what you mean, I always have trouble wanting to do things for entertainment too. When my friends have parties and such, I'll be spending the whole time thinking "we could be out getting people saved right now" and I feel selfish. FYI, when I say "parties", I mean with people who are all Christians and there is no drunkeness or any of that involved. But when I look in the bible, I see that Jesus did those things once in a while too. Just don't become selfish and do it constantly.

ANewCreature
July 4th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I'm sure He loved singing praises to God - the Father - when he had time. But, really, when did He, with all the people who wanted to see Him?

We only see a small portion of His life. We can only guess as far as the rest, and all we have to go on is that it has to be consistent withthe rest of His Word.

He needed time to unwind at times for the same reason he needed sleep, etc.; He was not only 100% God but also 100% man. That's what entertainment should be, something done to relax fromt he hectic work day. The human body and mind can only take so much stress; some more than others.

Often that was spent in prayer, but I suspect His entertainment took the same route as Philippians 4:8, which I always use as an example of such thigns with our church's youth. Thigns that were good, just, lovely, of good report, etc. - His stories (what stories he could tell, too!), His praises, His singing (I presume He sang Psalms but don't know about the quality of His voice - but God doesn't care about that anyway), etc..

Just because it's not stressful doens't mean it can't be active, like playing ball or enjoying a scenic walk or something. The problem with some entertainment nowadays is it doesn't encourage active participation and it's so filthy, so against the above verse. That's why I don't go to movies, watch TV, etc. anymore.

But, if they'd had baseballs or footballs back then, and a kid who He had trouble getting to talk felt better talking while throwing a baseball or football back and forth, He'd probably do it. Although it's hard to imagine a kid being real shy around Him; I think anyone would light up upon seeing Him.

Raphael
July 4th, 2012, 08:59 AM
He was entertained by the people he had created. In Genesis, God saw that "it was good". When John baptized Jesus, He (God) said, "This is my Son, in whom I am well pleased." I can imagine Jesus jumping up and down and shouting when his disciples returned to him to report that His word had not returned to him void (many conversions).

In human form, He had to rest. His pattern for us is the "seventh". But that pattern, IMO, extends to more than just one day. Land should "lie fallow" in similar manner. Breaks should be taken at work (proven to increase efficiency). Jesus' "breaks" often consisted of getting by himself to commune with His Father.

I am beating around the bush to come to the word "recreation" (re-creation). It's what happens when you disengage yourself from any form of stress to allow your mind and body to reconstitute and refresh themselves.

But then you come to the choices you have mentioned: the subliminal anti-God messages and unspeakable filth intertwined in much entertainment. IMO, it's a dead giveaway when the "enertainment" costs a huge amount of money. That could indicate that many are missing things that God provided for free: the smell of a rose, the imagery in a cumulus cloud. It may cost a little to buy a CD of Bach or Beethoven classics - but it's worth it, if only because you carved out the time to hear them. Not every form of re-creation in Jesus' time was evil, and it's the same now. It's just that our technology has outstripped our humanity in our time, and there's toxic evil dripping from many forms of "entertainment".

There's a difference between being made "happy" for a season and experiencing "joy" which can only be based on things that can be traced back to the Creator, who is also the ultimate "Re-Creator".

nanny
July 4th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I think walking on water, raising the dead, feeding crowds of people with a couple o fishes would be very entertaining.:yipee

Jan51
July 4th, 2012, 11:22 AM
It might be helpful to consider that only fairly recently has society got into the recreation/entertainment mentality. In earlier times, people did relax and have fun, but life was more about making a living and meeting daily needs.