PDA

View Full Version : Babylon News Bites (rebuilding of Babylon)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

OtherSideOfTheBoat
June 29th, 2009, 10:11 PM
If the Babylon of Revelation was the Babylon in Iraq what would be the mystery? Why would they call it Mystery Babylon instead of just Babylon?

iwillnotstumble
June 29th, 2009, 10:12 PM
BABYLON IS BEING REBUILT, JUST AS PROPHESIED

By Joel C. Rosenberg

(Washington, D.C., June 29, 2009) -- Keep your eye on Iraq. As the country once wracked with unimaginable violence becomes increasingly stable and secure, direct foreign investment is going to flood in, and the region once known as "Babylon" and "Babylonia" will become the wealthiest country on the planet.

Exxon Mobil, the world's largest company, for example, is positioning itself to become a major investor in the Iraqi energy sector. Other major oil companies are doing the same. The Iraqi government in recent months has been developing investment incentive packages to draw in such companies. This week, in fact, such energy companies will actually begin bidding for licenses to develop Iraq's immense but badly atrophied oil exploration, drilling, and refining industry. Consider this morning's headline from the Associated Press: "World's big oil companies prepare for return to Iraq."

And this is just the beginning.

Regular readers of this weblog and my books know that Bible prophecy says ancient Babylon, Iraq will be rebuilt and become the greatest center of wealth, commerce and power in the "last days" of history. The books of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and Revelation are explicit on this subject. Skeptics and cynics abound, to be sure, but the fact is the actual ancient city Babylon is being rebuilt right now, in part with U.S. taxpayer funds. Iraqi leaders hope that eventually millions of tourists will come to visit, and real progress is being made.

Yesterday's edition of Stars & Stripes, a U.S. military publication, had a fascinating story headlined: "U.S., Iraqi experts developing plan to preserve Babylon, build local tourism industry."

If this prophecy is true wouldn't this take decades to accomplish? How does this fit into tribulation time line?

have you ever seen pictures of Dubai built, its quite stunning how a city that size was built, if you look it up you'll read how 25% of the world's cranes were there helping build it. Now imagine if unlimited world resources were used to rebuild a huge city, un limited amounts of people came for work to undertake this project, i could see such a city being built in 6 years even sooner.

HisAlways
June 29th, 2009, 10:49 PM
According to Joel Rosenberg in Epicenter, Babylon could be rebuilt in a very short period of time. Especially when there is investment money pouring into it from all over the world.

Jesuslover_2002
June 29th, 2009, 11:23 PM
just reading it in joels newsletter today.. interesting development indeed.. wo we are getting closer.

ATYCLB
June 30th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Soldiers help preserve history
6-29-09
http://www.theredbulls.org/article172

Soldiers of the 172nd Infantry Brigade are enabling documentarians, historians and preservationists ensure ancient Iraqi history is preserved and documented in Babil Province. The 172nd Inf. Bde. provides these experts transportation and security as part of their ongoing mission in support of the Babil Provincial Reconstruction Team.

The Babil PRT hosted the World Monuments Fund to conduct site surveys of Babylon, an ancient city near the modern city of Al Hillah in Babil Province. These surveys were conducted to determine the possibility of making the Babylon ruins a sustainable historic and tourism site and to develop responsible tourism associated with the ruins.

The World Monuments Fund is a New York based private, non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of historic architecture and cultural heritage sites worldwide through fieldwork, education and training. The WMF is launching a project with Iraq to preserve the ancient city of Babylon, where King Nebuchadnezzar II, whose life spanned 630-562 B.C., built his hanging gardens, one of the Seven Wonders of the World.

“We are involving the local populace in the solutions to create a sustainable situation,” said Jeff Allen, the project team leader. “What you don’t want to do is develop something that outsiders are just going to profit from. You want something where the local populace benefits from it.”

“Future tourism will be one of the tools for economic development in Iraq, and we fear that Babylon could be eaten up by unmanaged development like the paving of roads,” World Monuments President Bonnie Burnham stated at the beginning of the project. “The city has never been mapped, and there have been very dramatic changes to it.”

More . . . (http://www.theredbulls.org/article172)

Marjorie
June 30th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Rebuilding Babylon as a tourist attraction of an ancient ruin is very different to rebuilding it as a modern functioning city. Will Babylon ever become a modern city such as it was in the Left Behind Series?

Jesus is the Way
June 30th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I am just studying up on this whole matter of Babylon and I don't believe that Joel Rosenberg is correct. The Babylon that is destroyed in Rev 18 does not sound like the Babylon of Iraq. Rev 18: 17-19
17In one hour such great wealth has been brought to ruin!'

"Every sea captain, and all who travel by ship, the sailors, and all who earn their living from the sea, will stand far off. 18When they see the smoke of her burning, they will exclaim, 'Was there ever a city like this great city?' 19They will throw dust on their heads, and with weeping and mourning cry out:
" 'Woe! Woe, O great city,
where all who had ships on the sea
became rich through her wealth!
In one hour she has been brought to ruin!

How can that describe Babylon of Iraq??? I can find no scripture that states the Babylon of Iraq will ever be rebuilt into a great city. I know that Joel Rosenberg says it's prophesied, but I'd like to know where he finds those scriptures. But again, I can also be wrong and since it's not a point of my salvation, I won't be too upset if I am.

I can't post links yet, so check out this thread A Woman Rides the Beast - Mystery Babylon - Revelation 17 & 18 The video from Dave Hunt explains a lot.

Dani D
June 30th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I am just studying up on this whole matter of Babylon and I don't believe that Joel Rosenberg is correct. The Babylon that is destroyed in Rev 18 does not sound like the Babylon of Iraq. Rev 18: 17-19
17In one hour such great wealth has been brought to ruin!'

"Every sea captain, and all who travel by ship, the sailors, and all who earn their living from the sea, will stand far off. 18When they see the smoke of her burning, they will exclaim, 'Was there ever a city like this great city?' 19They will throw dust on their heads, and with weeping and mourning cry out:
" 'Woe! Woe, O great city,
where all who had ships on the sea
became rich through her wealth!
In one hour she has been brought to ruin!

How can that describe Babylon of Iraq??? I can find no scripture that states the Babylon of Iraq will ever be rebuilt into a great city. I know that Joel Rosenberg says it's prophesied, but I'd like to know where he finds those scriptures. But again, I can also be wrong and since it's not a point of my salvation, I won't be too upset if I am.

I can't post links yet, so check out this thread A Woman Rides the Beast - Mystery Babylon - Revelation 17 & 18 The video from Dave Hunt explains a lot.

It's actually good news I think if Mystery Babylon is not literal Babylon, because I believe it will still be a few years for literal Babylon to be fully functioning as a tourist capitol.

That said, an interesting development occuring right now is a canal project to connect the Dead Sea with the Red Sea. Could this change the landscape to fit the above verses??

Also, upon reading these verses above I wonder if this is the same event as Damascus being destroyed? I could be totally wrong, but Damascus IS the oldest city and a lot is happening there right now. I could see the nations of the world wanting to have embassies there to secure peace for Israel...

ATYCLB
June 30th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I can find no scripture that states the Babylon of Iraq will ever be rebuilt into a great city. I know that Joel Rosenberg says it's prophesied, but I'd like to know where he finds those scriptures.

These may help:

Behold, I will stir up the Medes against them, which shall not regard silver; and as for gold, they shall not delight in it.

Their bows also shall dash the young men to pieces; and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eyes shall not spare children.

And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees' excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah.

It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation: neither shall the Arabian pitch tent there; neither shall the shepherds make their fold there.

But wild beasts of the desert shall lie there; and their houses shall be full of doleful creatures; and owls shall dwell there, and satyrs shall dance there.

And the wild beasts of the islands shall cry in their desolate houses, and dragons in their pleasant palaces: and her time is near to come, and her days shall not be prolonged.

Isaiah 13:17-22

I have laid a snare for thee, and thou art also taken, O Babylon, and thou wast not aware: thou art found, and also caught, because thou hast striven against the LORD.

The LORD hath opened his armory, and hath brought forth the weapons of his indignation: for this is the work of the Lord GOD of hosts in the land of the Chaldeans.

Jeremiah 50:24-25

Make bright the arrows; gather the shields: the LORD hath raised up the spirit of the kings of the Medes: for his device is against Babylon, to destroy it; because it is the vengeance of the LORD, the vengeance of his temple.

Set up the standard upon the walls of Babylon, make the watch strong, set up the watchmen, prepare the ambushes: for the LORD hath both devised and done that which he spoke against the inhabitants of Babylon.

Jeremiah 51:11-12

The land of the Chaldeans is Babylon.
The Medes are the modern day Kurds.

The above hasn't happened yet.

Babylon has been, and is still, inhabited.

Then I turned, and lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a flying roll.

And he said unto me, What seest thou? And I answered, I see a flying roll; the length thereof is twenty cubits, and the breadth thereof ten cubits.

Then said he unto me, This is the curse that goeth forth over the face of the whole earth: for every one that stealeth shall be cut off as on this side according to it; and every one that sweareth shall be cut off as on that side according to it.

I will bring it forth, saith the LORD of hosts, and it shall enter into the house of the thief, and into the house of him that sweareth falsely by my name: and it shall remain in the midst of his house, and shall consume it with the timber thereof and the stones thereof.

Then the angel that talked with me went forth, and said unto me, Lift up now thine eyes, and see what is this that goeth forth.

And I said, What is it? And he said, This is an ephah that goeth forth. He said moreover, This is their resemblance through all the earth.

And, behold, there was lifted up a talent of lead: and this is a woman that sitteth in the midst of the ephah.

And he said, This is wickedness. And he cast it into the midst of the ephah; and he cast the weight of lead upon the mouth thereof.

Then lifted I up mine eyes, and looked, and, behold, there came out two women, and the wind was in their wings; for they had wings like the wings of a stork: and they lifted up the ephah between the earth and the heaven.

Then said I to the angel that talked with me, Whither do these bear the ephah?

And he said unto me, To build it an house in the land of Shinar: and it shall be established, and set there upon her own base.

Zechariah 5

Where was wickedness originally scattered across the nations from?

Where is her "base"?

In the land of the Chaldeans.
In the land of Shinar.
Babylon.

And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.

And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.

And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for mortar.

And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.

And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men built.

And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.

Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

Genesis 11:1-9

Iruntherace4Him
July 8th, 2009, 06:26 AM
http://www.khouse.org/enews_article/2009/1483/

Babylon is on its way toward popularity once again. A mere 2600 years ago, Babylon stood as the greatest city on earth, the capital of the world. The grandeur of the mighty city can be vaguely imagined by gazing on the heaps of broken rock at its ancient site on the Euphrates River. Now, the Iraqi and US governments are preparing to develop the area as a tourist attraction. While promoting tourism may not rebuild Babylon, it will bring money into the country and provide plenty of industry to the local populations. And it may bring Babylon into the public mind once again.

The security has improved drastically in the Babil province around ancient Babylon, and that offers the community some opportunities. The local people live on one of the greatest historical sites of all time. Babylon is where Nebuchadnezzar II built the Hanging Gardens and where Alexander the Great died. Millennia before that, mankind attempted to build a tower "whose top may reach unto heaven" (Genesis 11:4), and as a result, their languages were confused and they were scattered over the face of the earth. The area is appropriately called the "cradle of civilization."

Promoting tourism would be a great way to bring revenue into the area. A stream of tourists interested in the ruins of ancient Babylon would bolster the local hotels and the food and entertainment industries. The US State Department and the Iraqi Board of Antiquities and Heritage are beginning work on the Future of Babylon Project, to preserve the ruins of ancient Babylon and make the area tourist-friendly.

Babylon in its current form is a mere shadow of its former self. The Ishtar Gate has been in Berlin since WWI. Artifacts have been whisked away to various museums and private collections. The site has been badly looted, and Saddam Hussein built a city for his glory on the site of ancient Babylon as an effort to connect himself to Nebuchadnezzar and the greatness of the past. New walls were built around the ancient city, and Saddam also built fortifications on top of Babylon's ruins.

"Some of the past restoration work hasn't been very good," said Jeff Allen, hired by the US State Department to co-run the US side of the project. "Saddam was trying to inherit the power of the ancients and continue that legacy. His restoration methods helped reinforce that vision of himself, and he created a pattern of restoration and repair work that benefited a certain agenda."