PDA

View Full Version : Mother Told She'd Be Arrested for Bringing Autistic Son to Church

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ggkk
May 19th, 2008, 01:46 PM
BERTHA, Minn. The mother of a 13-year-old autistic boy says she wanted to take him to Mass on Sunday despite a court order that bans him from her church.

Carol Race ended up attending a different church after the Todd County, Minn., sheriff stopped her and said she'd be arrested if she brought Adam to the Church of St. Joseph in Bertha.

There is a restraining order barring Race's son from St. Joseph's. The Reverend Daniel Walz wrote in court documents that Adam's behavior was disruptive and dangerous. Adam is more than 6 feet tall and over 225 pounds.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356588,00.html

lyngraphics
May 19th, 2008, 01:49 PM
You would think people in the church would want to help out this family instead of banning them...

lisa
May 19th, 2008, 01:49 PM
The pastor wrote that Adam spits, urinates and once struck a child during Mass.

Race says Adam doesn't spit, and that the urination is incontinence. She admits he once struck a child.

Hmmm. Sounds like there are 3 sides to this story.

LoveforChrist
May 19th, 2008, 06:51 PM
My parents are leaders in their church with children that have this type of behavior. Never have these types of problems. But has anyone ever been to a mass? Quite BOOOOORRRRRRIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGG.

I'm not saying its a dead church. But I'm just saying

iminchargeof4111
May 19th, 2008, 10:06 PM
My parents are leaders in their church with children that have this type of behavior. Never have these types of problems. But has anyone ever been to a mass? Quite BOOOOORRRRRRIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGG.

I'm not saying its a dead church. But I'm just saying

Never been to a mass. But what I really came on to say is that I LOVE LOVE LOVE your avatar. Kermit rocks!:)

PrincessofHeaven
May 19th, 2008, 11:30 PM
i think this needs a whole of lots prayers ..........

lovinlife4
May 20th, 2008, 07:36 AM
At my family's church, there is a 12 year old girl with severe autism. Yes, she's disruptive and she can have a violent outburst but she is welcomed instead of shunned. What a shame. I think it's great she's attending church for worship WITH her son! But maybe there's more to the story...

HisAlways
May 20th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Hmmm. Sounds like there are 3 sides to this story.
Yep....I agree. More than we know, and shouldn't jump to judgement.

Tamed4ever
May 20th, 2008, 11:03 AM
My father had alzheimer's and my mother kept bringing him to church every Sunday. Once in a while he'd belt out some profanity, but mostly he'd mumble and make airplane noises.

I honestly believe that the best way to handle situations like this would be to dedicate an area for people with disabilities that in some way sound wouldn't easily pass to the rest of the congregation. In some very large churches I've seen rooms for mothers who are nursing; that *sorta* comes to mind, but I'm not sure I like the idea of keeping people with autism, etc., behind glass. But that's just my two cents.

If it's all about the noise, ways can be found to diminish the noise level; it just depends on if/how it can be implemented. So I agree that everyone should be able to go to church. In this particular case, there seems to be a little more to it so I can't comment one way or another here.

markofthebest
May 20th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I have been in services where the pastor has instructed the parents of a screaming baby or rowdy child to remove them from the service.

I agree totally, too - and can't believe someone should have to be "told" to do it when it's common courtesy...and something they would'nt THINK about doing in a movie theatre, concert, etc.

I think the family of this kid needs to think this through - this is unfair to all the other folks in the service. I know I cannot stand this type of disruption. When my MIL's dementia worsened, we STOPPED taking her to church and out to eat. She was disruptive, she was inappropriate, and sometimes, downright disgusting. It wasn't her fault, but neither was it the fault or the responsibility of the other people in attendance. These people need to either find a caregiver or alternate who goes to the service. What is this boy going to get from the service anyway? These folks are going to turn this into a "cause celib."