PDA

View Full Version : The Tattoo & Piercing page

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82

FrankBeMe
October 6th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Leviticus 19:28

28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

DAVEYBOY
October 6th, 2008, 01:13 PM
All these posts are interesting but I wouldn't get caought up in the "evil sin" of a tattoo! I have a tattoo of a looney tunes character on my arm and as long as I am still worshipping God and believing in Him and asking forgiveness, I doubt that I'm gonna be on the ouitside looking in because I have a tasmanian devil on my arm.

sethola
October 6th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Leviticus 19:28
i myself don't cut my sideburns but i DO stand guilty of enjoying my steak rare

Hootmon
October 6th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Leviticus 19:28Leviticus 19:27

'You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard.

faithandgrace
October 6th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Random thought/question;

In Leviticus 19:28, is the Lord giving one command or two commands?

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

I always assumed that the entire verse dealt with tributes to the dead.

Hootmon
October 6th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Random thought/question;

In Leviticus 19:28, is the Lord giving one command or two commands? Here is a variety of versions for comparison's sake...

Lev 19:28

(AMP) You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead nor print or tattoo any marks upon you; I am the Lord.

(ASV) Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am Jehovah.

(CJB) Don't cut gashes in your flesh when someone dies or tattoo yourselves; I am ADONAI.

(ESV) You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the LORD.

(KJV) Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

(MKJV) You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks on you. I am Jehovah.

(NASB) 'You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD.

(NIV) " 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

(YLT) `And a cutting for the soul ye do not put in your flesh; and a writing, a cross-mark, ye do not put on you; I am Jehovah.

Hootmon
October 6th, 2008, 01:38 PM
...but i DO stand guilty of enjoying my steak rareDont forget that you arent supposed to eat fruit from trees less than 4 years old...

sethola
October 6th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Random thought/question;

In Leviticus 19:28, is the Lord giving one command or two commands?

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

haha. this is a question i have so often wondered. i think the use of the word "nor" would suggest this is one commandment, as it connects the two statements. i guess...?:thinking

anyways, not the issue. i must ponder that if any of us would have been a bunch of believers, alive in the roaring 20s, if we would be throwing scripture at women wearing pants.

i like tatoos. i like the idea of this particular tatoo. i like piercings, and i like bloody steak. and i like the Messiah who makes us CLEAN.

Berean Girl
October 6th, 2008, 01:44 PM
This past sunday at church a friend of mine's daughter has an earring hoop through her lip.... i was shocked to say the least because this is a pretty conservative in some degree baptist church.... i think she looks better without the piercing but i tried to treat her just the same....

honestly, i wish she hadnt done it but apparently her mother is ok with it...

:idunno

faithandgrace
October 6th, 2008, 01:52 PM
haha. this is a question i have so often wondered. i think the use of the word "nor" would suggest this is one commandment, as it connects the two statements. i guess...?:thinking

anyways, not the issue. i must ponder that if any of us would have been a bunch of believers, alive in the roaring 20s, if we would be throwing scripture at women wearing pants.

i like tatoos. i like the idea of this particular tatoo. i like piercings, and i like bloody steak. and i like the Messiah who makes us CLEAN.

So do I. I'm fascinated by tattoos and piercings, although I don't have any myself.

I don't think these laws necessarily apply to Christians regardless, but my positive view of tattoos might change if I thought Lev 19:28 was applicable to all body markings. It's kinda like God's dietary laws in the OT. We're not required to keep them, but it might make me healthier if I abide by them.