PDA

View Full Version : The Tattoo & Piercing page

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82

His Bride
October 6th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Yes, but I hardly think that shaving is as serious an issue as tattooing. And I don't think that all of the laws should be eliminated, particularly those with spiritual consequences. That is why I believe that each believer must prayerfully consider his choices in the light of the Word of God. I have made choices for my family that others would disagree with. But I refuse to hold them to those personal standards, unless it completely violates the Word of God. We can find ourselves becoming legalists very easily.

InHisGrip
October 6th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Should we make sure that we blend in really well with the rest of the world when it's the thing to do? Do we want to make sure that people can't tell us apart? That's probably the biggest problem I have with any of these practices be it tattooing, piercing, current trends in tight fitting clothing, low tops for the girls and guys wearing their pants down around their knees, or whatever the next big thing is going to be.
I believe we are called out from the world and set apart to belong exclusively to Him. While I don't believe our distinctiveness should be based on externals rather than on the changed heart God has given us, I do think that any decisions we make in this area, should include how we represent Him to the rest of the world.

SherShalom
October 6th, 2008, 02:16 PM
"That is why I believe that each believer must prayerfully consider his choices in the light of the Word of God. I have made choices for my family that others would disagree with. But I refuse to hold them to those personal standards, unless it completely violates the Word of God. We can find ourselves becoming legalists very easily.

Yep, I agree with that!!!

Surafel
October 6th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Hey you guys! Looky what I found! Revelation 19:16 says that Jesus has "On his robe and his thigh he has a name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS" Now...Im not sure if it was his bare thigh, because this would be a tattoo. right? Or maybe it was a pair of pant-like clothes, but I doubt that Since he's wearing a robe and back in the olden days, they didnt wear anything under the robes, or so im told. Anyhow just an interesting correspondence with this topic.

Rebecki
October 6th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I hate tatoo's also, but I would much rather see my son get on his back what your son got on his arm. We raised our son in a Christian household and went to church most of the time growing up. He got a bar code tatoo shortly after he talked to me and he asked me if I would get mad at him if he were to get a tatoo. I printed off an article for him a long time ago before he ever decided to get one, and when he asked me if I would get mad, I gave him a good Christian explination of why it was wrong for him to get one. I was really mad. He went totally against my wishes, but has defied everything Christian by getting a bar code. :shocked

What's wrong with a bar code and why is it defying everything Christian? If you are thinking it represents the mark of the anti-christ, we don't know what that marking will be, and to speculate that it's going to be a bar code is putting the cart before the horse. At least he didn't get a tatoo of Satan, or 666, or a pentagram. Seems to me that a bar code is his sarcastic way of saying that he's just another product or statisic in this world.

Also how is it wrong to get a tatoo? If you are going to follow one law from the OT, then you should be following all of them. The levitical laws were set up for the Israelites only, to keep them a separate people from the pagan nations around them. The only laws that are for everyone are the mosaic laws... the ten commandments.

We are living in the age of grace. Getting a tatoo is not a sin any more than eating shellfish or pork or cutting your beard. If we still had to follow those laws then how come women aren't living on the edge of town for 7 days when they are on their periods?

CharlotteMc
October 6th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Hootman, here is an article I found on Chabad.org about beards:

The Beard

By Aron Moss

Question:

I have often wondered why many religious Jews have long hairy beards. Is this, like the kipah, a means of identifying oneself as a Jew or do the beards serve some other purpose?

Answer:

There is more to the beard than just identifying as a Jew. According to Kabbalah the beard should not even be trimmed, but should be allowed to grow freely. Why?

Kabbalistically, our outer physical appearance is a reflection of our inner spiritual reality. The hands represent our ability to give and receive. The feet symbolize the power to progress. What does the beard represent?

One of the greatest struggles in life is to live up to our ideals. Many of us know what is right in our minds, but find it difficult to apply that knowledge in our daily lives. Often we do things that we know are wrong, but feel we "couldn't help ourselves". For example, we know that it is wrong to lose our temper, but when we get annoyed at someone we find it impossible to control our anger. Or we may know that it is good to give charity, but never get around to actually giving.

Between theory and practice there is a huge gulf. It is one thing to have good intentions, but that is far from actually doing good. It is like realizing a dream; without diligence, determination and hard work, it will always remain just a dream.

The greatest step we can take in our personal growth is learning to bridge this gap and implement our good intentions.

This is what the beard represents. The beard is hair that grows down from the head to the rest of the body. It is the bridge between mind and heart, thoughts and actions, theory and practice, good intentions and good deeds.

So we don't cut the beard, but rather let it flow freely, to open a direct flow from the ideals and philosophies of our minds into our everyday lifestyle.

1angel4u
October 6th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Wow! Look at all the responses! Some good, some bad. Thanks for all the input, folks!!

Oh, and I was wrong on the celtic cross...it's not. I don't know exactly what it's called.

Here's a photo:

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd357/Carollowery2008/DSCF0089.jpg

sethola
October 7th, 2008, 08:35 AM
the cross is really good work. and the fish is such an awesome idea! i'd like to get something similair. now please pray for me as i am wearing my pants below my waitline!! RAAAH!! :tsk:preach

Beulahland
October 7th, 2008, 10:02 AM
The Bible certainly has it's reasons for what it asked of it's believers, God certainly knows far better then any of us what is and what isn't. Is it a sin or isn't? But isn't it really the motive behind what we do? God certainly knows our hearts. But the question might be, Why did you or does anyone get a tatoo? What is it's purpose? Is it a worldly issue? For instance, my sister inlaw has a tasmania devil, right in the middle of her, ummm chest... So asked my brother, how he likes everyone looking at his wife's chest, and of course she wears low cutting shirts to show it off, ummm, is this a good thing?
What would you think? Could be alot of things, but really why? Not enough attention already? Hmmmm.

sethola
October 7th, 2008, 10:17 AM
The Bible certainly has it's reasons for what it asked of it's believers, God certainly knows far better then any of us what is and what isn't. Is it a sin or isn't? But isn't it really the motive behind what we do? God certainly knows our hearts. But the question might be, Why did you or does anyone get a tatoo? What is it's purpose? Is it a worldly issue? For instance, my sister inlaw has a tasmania devil, right in the middle of her, ummm chest... So asked my brother, how he likes everyone looking at his wife's chest, and of course she wears low cutting shirts to show it off, ummm, is this a good thing?
What would you think? Could be alot of things, but really why? Not enough attention already? Hmmmm.

probably an outward expression of what she finds to be visually appealing?