PDA

View Full Version : Yummy chicken salad

Looking for Him
July 22nd, 2008, 03:57 PM
It is hot-- and chicken salad on a roll, croissant, bread, or toast is awsome! No need to heat up the kitchen! Takes 5 minutes to make!

2 cans chicken breast-- packed in water-- drain. (Walmart's brand is $2.12 a can)

2 to 3 tbsp miracle whip or mayo (light) :thumb
2to 3 tbsp sour cream (I use light)
Stir these 2 together-- mix in.

3 stalks celery (chopped fine)
2 stalks green onion (chopped fine)
1/2 cup red or green grapes-- cut in half

This is SSSOOOO good-- better the 2nd day after the onion flavor goes through it. I just made some for our ladies bible study BBQ tonight--
and ate some. Try it. The sour cream really gives a velvety texture to this. You can make TUNA SALAD the same way-- but leave out the grapes. A friend of mine adds grated carrot to that.

debi208
February 11th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I got this very easy recipe from my neighbor who cooks from scratch almost every meal.

take 6 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts and simmer in about 4 cups water, along with some diced onion and salt. cool chicken and dice. Use Hellman's real mayo--it takes more than you would think because chicken breasts are kind of dry. Chop 3 large stalks of celery fairly small. Season with about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, a few sprinkles of garlic powder, and celery seed or celery salt, and salt to taste. Mix and that's it. My neighbor makes cream puff shells from scratch and puts the chicken salad in it for company, but we just make sandwiches.

kmendel
February 12th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I take a can of chicken breast meat, flake it in a bowl. Then add a diced rib of celery, a handful of chopped walnuts or pecans, and some quartered red seedless grapes. I mix lowfat mayonaise and some poppyseed dressing and add that to the bowl and mix well. Delicious! Everyone loves it. One time I didn't have any grapes on hand, so I substitued crushed pineapple.........it was really, really good, too.
Kathy

cocopea9052
February 12th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I LOVE CHICKEN SALAD!!! Thanks for this. :thumb

It is my fav lunch. I eat it 2-3 times a week. I usually have the grapes on the side (don't like them mixed in). And I always have it with a really good cracker...last box was Wheat Thins (Garlic and Parmesan). Made for such a savory lunch!

I get it from the Deli, and sometimes I do make it with leftover chicken! I like mine kind of dry, not too creamy.

Also, cashews is a good nut to use in it as well! And freshly ground black pepper really sets it right!

candlelight
February 13th, 2010, 05:09 AM
I do not really care for canned chicken, but make it with leftover chicken breast. My Mom always made such good chicken salad and I remember she used onion, celery and slivered almonds in hers. YUMMY! I have put dried cranberries in mine and it was really good.

candlelight
February 13th, 2010, 05:15 AM
I make this one occasionally

Chicken Waldorf Salad

Salad:
1 medium apple, unpeeled, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
2 cups diced cooked chicken (about 1 large breast)
1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup toasted walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
Dressing:
3/4 cup yogurt (preferably Greek non-fat)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
Juice of 1/2 orange (about 1/4 cup)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Serving suggestion: Baby greens, extra grapes, raisins and walnuts for garnish
Coat the chopped apple with the lemon juice in a large bowl. Add the chicken, grapes, celery, raisins and walnuts, and gently combine.

In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, orange juice and salt. Gently fold the dressing into the salad. Serve on a bed of greens.

candlelight
February 13th, 2010, 05:22 AM
This is an easy one when I am in a hurry. You can add fruit and nuts if you wish.

Ingredients
2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked 1/4 cup creamy salad dressing 4 tablespoons cole slaw dressing 1 stalk celery, chopped 1/4 onion, chopped salt and pepper to taste
Directions
Cube chicken, mix dressing and pour over chicken and stir to coat.

caligal
February 13th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I love the grape and walnut chicken salad, but I'm going to have to try the pineapple one.

Lucy
February 13th, 2010, 10:17 PM
My recipe is very similar but we also chop water chestnuts and use in the mix. The crunch is a wonderful surprise.

debi208
September 20th, 2011, 01:55 AM
I went to a baby shower and they had a bowl of chicken salad they got at chik fil A. It was excellent. I don't know if you have to order it ahead.