PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make their own bread without a machine?

HVAC
July 31st, 2008, 01:50 PM
Do you make your own bread without a machine?

Got any good recipes?

Sealed
August 2nd, 2008, 10:09 PM
Hi HVAC, I do not use a bread machine. I do use my mixer on occasion to knead, though. I have taught myself how to bake bread with the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book. It is all about whole wheat bread, and there are some really good recipes in it.

Here is a white bread recipe for you to try. This makes sweet rolls.
It was my grandmother's recipe.

2 cups milk, scalded
1/4 cup shortening, melt in milk
1/2 cup sugar, dissolve in milk
1 t. salt, dissolve in milk

mix together the following in a large bowl and let sit about 5 minutes:
1 package dry active yeast
1 t. sugar
1/2 cup lukewarm water

combine milk mixture (when cool enough) and yeast mixture in the large bowl, gradually add
about 6 cups AP flour to form dough. Knead. Place in lightly greased bowl and let rise till doubled, about 1 hour. Punch air out. You could let dough rise again, but I never do. I make the rolls after the first rise. Shape the rolls and place in greased pan, let them rise again, about 1 hour, at 350 until brown.

Hope you enjoy them! :)

lyngraphics
August 3rd, 2008, 12:47 AM
My Mom makes bread without her machine sometimes (it was awesome as a kid)!
I will ask her, also!

kjlistrom
August 16th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Hi HVAC, I do not use a bread machine.

:)
I don't either, but I haven't made bread for a long time. Thanks for the recipe I'll try this one for the buns.

CharlotteMc
August 28th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I would not make bread any other way. There is something soothing and calming about kneading bread dough and nothing smells better than fresh bread baking. Here is a web site for lots of bread recipes:
http://www.breadworld.com

I also make my own pizzas. Pizza dough is one of the simplest doughs to make. Here is the basic pizza dough recipe I got from Food Network:

1 cup warm (110 degree F) water
1 (1/4 ounce) envelope quick rise yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil

In a small bowl mix water, yeast & sugar and let proof (until it gets foamy). In a large bowl mix flour and salt. After yeast mixture proofs add to flour and add olive oil. Mix and then dump on counter and knead about 5 minutes. Put in oiled bowl and let rise for about 20 minutes.

This will make one large crust or several small ones. This is great fun with the kids as you can put out a variety of toppings in bowls and let each child build their own pizza with their favorite toppings.

watching4Him
August 30th, 2008, 04:10 PM
This is just one of many that I use. I hope you enjoy.

Overnight Rolls

1 Cup Crisco
1/2 Cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 pkg. yeast dissolved in 1 Cup of cold water
1 Cup of boiling water
2 eggs, beaten
6 1/2 Cups of flour

Cream Crisco and sugar. Add boiling water, let cool. Add beaten eggs, yeast, flour and salt. Refrigerate overnight. Make rolls next day. Let rise for 1 hour before baking at 400 degrees for 20 minutes of until golden brown.

icebear
September 1st, 2008, 10:38 AM
This is just one of many that I use. I hope you enjoy.

Overnight Rolls

1 Cup Crisco
1/2 Cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 pkg. yeast dissolved in 1 Cup of cold water
1 Cup of boiling water
2 eggs, beaten
6 1/2 Cups of flour

Cream Crisco and sugar. Add boiling water, let cool. Add beaten eggs, yeast, flour and salt. Refrigerate overnight. Make rolls next day. Let rise for 1 hour before baking at 400 degrees for 20 minutes of until golden brown.

mmmm.... will be trying that soon....!