PDA

View Full Version : Want Recipes for Bread

Truthlover
August 31st, 2008, 03:00 AM
I was just wondering if anyone here might know of some recipes for some old-fashioned, knead it yourself, bake in the oven bread. (yum yum!) I used to have a simple recipe a few years back, and used it constantly. But, I lost it.....:tsk I truly do enjoy baking on the rare occasion when I have the time.

Now that I think of it, feel free to post recipes for cookies, cakes, and other good baked goodies too!:thumb

sojourner
August 31st, 2008, 08:47 AM
Here is my old bread recipe, from Michigan State University, Home Economics department, in the 60's.....it has never failed me and I make it every Thanksgiving for those day-after turkey sandwiches...good texture.../ taste..

MOMS WHITE BREAD
(my first bread recipe)

2 t. salt
2 T. sugar
3 T. butter
2 c. scalded whole milk
1 Tablespoons dried yeast
5-6 cups flour (bread flour)

Combine first four ingred., and cool to lukewarm. Blend in yeast, add three cups of the flour, and knead in mixer. with dough hook, or hand knead well. Add the rest of the flour until the dough is elastic- you may not need all of the rest of the dough. Cover and let rise until double, in a large greased bowl, covered in a warm place away from draft. Spray the top of the dough with Pam... Put into two greased loaf pans, and rise for the second rising. (again, spray the tops of the loaves with Pam....
Bake:
375 deg., for 10 minutes
350 deg., for 30-40 minutes longer
Remove from the pans immediately and brush melted butter all over.

for mini loaf pans:
10 minutes 400 deg
another 25-30 minutes 375 deg.
Remove from the pans immediately and brush melted butter all over.

ButterflyWay
September 9th, 2008, 04:59 AM
GRANDMA'S SOUTHERN BISCUITS

2 c. self-rising flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. canola or vegetable oil
3/4 c. milk (optional-skim milk can be added here or buttermilk for buttermilk biscuits)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a big mixing bowl, sift flour and salt together. Then add canola/veggie oil and milk. Knead several times, getting as much flour mixture as possible away from the sides of the bowl. Roll out on lightly floured board until about 1/2 inch thick. Cut with biscuit cutter or inverted glass. Place biscuit dough on cookie sheet which has been well-greased and press down very gently. Bake until browned, approximately 10-12 minutes. Wipe with butter, if desired. Serve with butter, honey, molasses, or favorite jelly.:thumb

*Now my mom is very brave. Instead of rolling the dough on a floured board, she'd actually leave it in the mixing bowl, and pull the dough apart with her hands (very OLD fashioned way), rolling the pieces in her hand to form a ball. She'd then put them on a pan already greased and set them about an 1/2 inch apart, then press down on them very slightly. You'd begin to see a biscuit form from this. This requires alot of practice in forming biscuits this way. But my mom's biscuits are big when they're done and mouth-watering. I've tried doing it her way several times, but I just can't seem to get the same effect that she does?:idunno:lol2 Try whatever feels the best for you* :)

ButterflyWay
September 9th, 2008, 05:06 AM
NO BAKE CHOCOLATE OATMEAL COOKIES

2 cups sugar
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup Pet milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups oats

In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients except peanut butter and oats and cook over medium heat. Let boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and oats.

Spoon out quickly onto wax paper or aluminum foil. Cookies will harden as they set.

*Wonderful recipe I got from my mom and grandma*Hope you enjoy:)

watching4Him
September 15th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Overnight Rolls

1 Cup Crisco
1/2 Cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 pkg. yeast dissolved in 1 Cup of cold water
1 Cup of boiling water
2 eggs, beaten
6 1/2 Cups of flour

Cream Crisco and sugar. Add boiling water, let cool. Add beaten eggs, yeast, flour and salt. Refrigerate overnight. Make rolls next day. Let rise for 1 hour before baking at 400 degrees for 20 minutes of until golden brown.