PDA

View Full Version : Anyone learning to play the guitar?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Kliska
January 6th, 2009, 01:54 PM
and it is more difficult to sound good with because all the mistakes and artifacts are amplified as well.

This is exactly why my electric guitar intimidated me much more than my acoustic; it is taking me awhile to get used to hearing my mistakes (and even my pick on the strings) amplified as I play. Just this week I've made myself play with the amp on every day, and that's helped.

Lessons tomorrow; he knows I'm bringing in my electric, so hopefully I'll have something more to practice on it...so far all the long songs and patterns I've learned are for acoustic (more strumming than anything else).

lisa
January 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM
So there's a "Rock Band" class before/after school at the middle school where I work. It's cool because the kids are actually learning instruments and not playing the video game. They've only been playing a few months, but they ROCK!! I'm so impressed. The instructors have invited me to come in and work with the kids and I couldn't be happier about it. :yeah Gotta find a small, lightweight practice amp I can bring with me in the mornings.

Praise Warrior
January 6th, 2009, 04:08 PM
They have very small low-quality amps at some walmarts.

The other thing with my amp is that it is difficult to hear myself sing over the guitar now. So I have to either find a microphone that plugs directly into the wall, a mic mixer or preamp that i can use to plug the mic in to the aux-in line on my guitar amp (if I can even do that, not sure), or try to sing louder and/or use my hifi earplugs, which might block out my guitar since the amp isn't *that* loud.

fracturedInfinity
January 6th, 2009, 04:18 PM
So there's a "Rock Band" class before/after school at the middle school where I work. It's cool because the kids are actually learning instruments and not playing the video game. They've only been playing a few months, but they ROCK!! I'm so impressed. The instructors have invited me to come in and work with the kids and I couldn't be happier about it. :yeah Gotta find a small, lightweight practice amp I can bring with me in the mornings.

I don't recommend the FirstAct ones you can buy at Walmart, at least not for a bass anyway. Matter of fact, it's probably not made for a bass though. It buzzes weird when I play on the E string. :lol2

Might be ok for a regular guitar.

Kliska
January 6th, 2009, 06:03 PM

That is really neat! :thumb

All the "guitar hero" and "rock band" craze is one reason why I wanted to take lessons...it is disheartening to think that people really believe they are playing when they are playing those video games. On the other side of things, I suppose several will actually try out the real deal and stick with it because of the games, so there are up sides and downsides to video games such as that, I suppose.

Praise Warrior
January 15th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Well, this month I started looking at voice lessons. I figured if I couldn't find any guitar instructor who would help me improve in worship leading, maybe a voice instructor would be more willing for that.

So I met with one, and as it turns out not only does he do voice lessons, but also plays guitar and leads worship in church, knows the music, knows the style, etc. :thumb and he's willing to help with the whole package! Such a blessing! :yeah

dan_L
January 15th, 2009, 06:54 AM
hey if you havent gotten the software guitar pro i highly recommend it. you can download just about any song you can think of for free. and it will be completely tabbed . the software reads the tablature and plays the song. you can slow down the tempo of the song to play your favorite songs at your level. this is a god sent.

Kliska
January 16th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Well, this month I started looking at voice lessons. I figured if I couldn't find any guitar instructor who would help me improve in worship leading, maybe a voice instructor would be more willing for that.

So I met with one, and as it turns out not only does he do voice lessons, but also plays guitar and leads worship in church, knows the music, knows the style, etc. :thumb and he's willing to help with the whole package! Such a blessing! :yeah

Awesome news! Let us know how it goes! :thumb

I've made good friends with my electric guitar now, so am quite happy on that score. I've been trying to play for a good span of time on my acoustic everyday, to strengthen my fretting hand, and especially strengthen my pinkie.

I have a question; what all are pedals good for? Do they hook up with any electric and any amp?

Rebecki
January 16th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Speaking of Guitar Hero (the game) I don't watch South Park, but I heard there is a pretty funny episode where all the kids are playing the game and one of the dads comes out and teases the kids about how they think they can play the guitar. The he goes and gets his electric guitar and shreds on it and tells the kids "that's a real guitar" and they laugh at him and go back to playing the game.

Sounds like everyone is just moving right along. :yeah

I've been spending more time in my practice and it's really helping quite a bit. I'm finally starting to learn where my fingers go for the chords without looking, so I'm speeding up on that. I'm also doing better at tab, which is my favorite thing to do right now. My instructor gave me the full song "Smoke on the Water" with power chords and I've been working on that. I just learned how to make my amp sound distorted, so that's good.

I was at the music store today and they are talking about having a weekly jam session in the evenings for students so they can get together and play and learn from each other. Not sure I'd want to participate right away, but I'd probably go and watch for the first few times.

Lisa, you might be able to find a good small used amp at a local music store. That's where we got our DD's first guitar; a used Fender Squire and amp.

Rebecki
January 19th, 2009, 03:52 PM
How's everyone doing? I'm practicing more and I'm enjoying it very much. I'm glad I started doing this.

This morning I went over to the local music store where DH bought me that pedal and one of the store assistants sat with me for an hour teaching me about my guitar (what the switch does, which pickup is for which nob, etc. My instructor didn't even do that), and about several features of the pedal. He only taught me the basics about the pedal, but said that when ever I was ready to learn some of the more intricate options on the pedal to come on back. Our music store is so customer oriented. They are great! They will even restring my guitar for the first time for free, then it's just a $10 charge on future restringings.

I seem to be doing better on learning Tab as chords are more difficult, but I still practice chords daily.