PDA

View Full Version : Anyone learning to play the guitar?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Rebecki
November 30th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Resurecting the thread because I wanted to share my frustrations!!! :gaah

I know it's only been about 4 weeks since I started lessons, but I feel so slow. I practice every day but I'm really struggling to get my fingers to stretch to the top two strings and get them close to the frets on the notes (particularly that F chord).

He has given me some songs to learn which uses strumming, and he's also given me some basic tabs to do.

I'm enjoying it, but I'm getting impatient. :candle

Kliska
December 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM
Resurecting the thread because I wanted to share my frustrations!!! :gaah

I know it's only been about 4 weeks since I started lessons, but I feel so slow. I practice every day but I'm really struggling to get my fingers to stretch to the top two strings and get them close to the frets on the notes (particularly that F chord).

He has given me some songs to learn which uses strumming, and he's also given me some basic tabs to do.

I'm enjoying it, but I'm getting impatient. :candle

I understand your frustration! I've been really sick for three weeks, thank goodness I'm feeling better now, but it slowed my progress on my guitar and lessons pretty badly.

One thing that has helped me is to have a song/strum pattern to practice that has the chord I'm trying to hit in it (that I'm struggling with), but also to have a song/pattern that has a similar chord in it, but not the actual one, one that I can manage easier. I switch off practicing the songs, and it seems to help. (If that explanation makes any sense at all...LOL I'm still medicated :heh) My instructor comes up with a pattern for me to practice.

My problem is still coordinating my fingers to switch chords quickly, and every now and then the palm of my fretting hand interferes with the first string and I mute my notes on certain chords. I'm getting there, but it does take weeks and months...I don't think we should give up!! :madgrin

I'm actually practicing "What Child is This?" to play accompaniment to my mum on piano at church the Sunday before Christmas...my instructor has faith in me, but I'm dubious. It has one barre chord ( B minor) in it...which, to my delight, I can manage, but can't switch to quite fast enough yet.

Wally
December 1st, 2008, 04:38 PM
If you are having trouble with barred chords, check your guitar or have a set up done.

Lighter strings may help. Also lowering the bridge (or shaving the bottom of the bridge down) - gets the strings closer to the fretboard. If you have to use too much pressure that makes the chord change difficult. That is where a quality guitar really shows its stuff.

I'll look for my "As the Deer Panteth for the Water" it gives a good workout for F#m and the Bs - Bm Bm7 B7. Hopefully you are familiar with the tune?

Another trick is some chords do not need all strings. Your instructor should show you some chords with muted strings so that you only play 4 or 5 notes. I had such trouble with F that I would play Am Am7 Adim Dm or something else during some progressions - but only play the highest 4 strings.

DBW was at the guitar store and almost surprised me with a used Martin. Foutunately I told her I have to try the action and I need a wider neck. (she almost got one really narrow) :panic
She did see a Seagull model and the tone was very nice.

Rebecki
December 1st, 2008, 05:57 PM
I understand your frustration! I've been really sick for three weeks, thank goodness I'm feeling better now, but it slowed my progress on my guitar and lessons pretty badly.

One thing that has helped me is to have a song/strum pattern to practice that has the chord I'm trying to hit in it (that I'm struggling with), but also to have a song/pattern that has a similar chord in it, but not the actual one, one that I can manage easier. I switch off practicing the songs, and it seems to help. (If that explanation makes any sense at all...LOL I'm still medicated :heh) My instructor comes up with a pattern for me to practice.

My problem is still coordinating my fingers to switch chords quickly, and every now and then the palm of my fretting hand interferes with the first string and I mute my notes on certain chords. I'm getting there, but it does take weeks and months...I don't think we should give up!! :madgrin

I'm actually practicing "What Child is This?" to play accompaniment to my mum on piano at church the Sunday before Christmas...my instructor has faith in me, but I'm dubious. It has one barre chord ( B minor) in it...which, to my delight, I can manage, but can't switch to quite fast enough yet.

The bolded part above it most of my problem. I'm doing okay going from C to Am on one song he gave me, but still struggle with the rest of it. The song is Hallelujah from Shrek. There's other partial songs he gave me, but this is the first full song he's given me.

I'm not giving up. I want this too badly!

Kliska
December 1st, 2008, 06:12 PM
The bolded part above it most of my problem. I'm doing okay going from C to Am on one song he gave me, but still struggle with the rest of it. The song is Hallelujah from Shrek. There's other partial songs he gave me, but this is the first full song he's given me.

I'm not giving up. I want this too badly!

Yup, I'm there with ya...I have problems switching "quickly" from chords like Am to G, but have been assured that it just does take time and practice...especially to build up "finger memory" so your fingers just "naturally" go to the correct positioning. No, right now it don't feel natural at all LOL :lol2

Praise Warrior
December 1st, 2008, 07:53 PM
I have to do Christmas songs for awhile for a bunch of people this weekend. I have no time to practice, and they're filled with F#ms (the only barre chord I've been able to do regularly, and I'm out of practice), other chords I just learned a week ago, and very fast progressions between them. Should be fun, woohoo! :rolleyes

Rebecki:
Lincoln Brewster has done a Christian version of "Hallelujah". It's called "Another Hallelujah". http://www.e-chords.com/guitartab.asp?idmusica=116712

We did it on occasion at my previous church. The open F is much like the C, and it is really easy to switch back and forth from. Also G. I still have trouble with the F barre, but the open one I could do just as quickly as C.

I got proficient on that on this version of Victory in Jesus: http://www.eileenjahna.com/worship/victoryinjesus.pdf

Kliska: I play an open version of the Bm, which has done the job so far when I've had to play it. It's close to a version of the F#7 which I also see a lot in Christmas and Messianic music.

Rebecki
December 1st, 2008, 09:20 PM
I have to do Christmas songs for awhile for a bunch of people this weekend. I have no time to practice, and they're filled with F#ms (the only barre chord I've been able to do regularly, and I'm out of practice), other chords I just learned a week ago, and very fast progressions between them. Should be fun, woohoo! :rolleyes

Rebecki:
Lincoln Brewster has done a Christian version of "Hallelujah". It's called "Another Hallelujah". http://www.e-chords.com/guitartab.asp?idmusica=116712

We did it on occasion at my previous church. The open F is much like the C, and it is really easy to switch back and forth from. Also G. I still have trouble with the F barre, but the open one I could do just as quickly as C.

I got proficient on that on this version of Victory in Jesus: http://www.eileenjahna.com/worship/victoryinjesus.pdf (http://www.eileenjahna.com/worship/victoryinjesus.pdf)

Kliska: I play an open version of the Bm, which has done the job so far when I've had to play it. It's close to a version of the F#7 which I also see a lot in Christmas and Messianic music.

So when you play the chord and sing all those words under it, do you keep strumming the chord or just play it once?

I think I'll print this out and give it a whirl. Thank you!! :)

Wally
December 2nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Doesn't it depend on the song?

Some songs need a rythum like
strum d strum strum - the first strum is on the down beat

G) I will delcare that

Your D)Love stands firm

For G) ever

C)I will declare that

your Faithfulness is

D) established in

the (G)Heavens

As the C)Heavens

Declare Your wonders

Oh my G)God

I will declare D)

Who is Like the G) Lord

Who is like the C) Lord

Who is like the G) Lord

You are faithfull and your righesousness surrounds you
Who is like the Lord
Who is like the Lord

You are holy and your covenant stands true.

Oh great my guitar is at home..... I think I have it so far.

Other songs do better with an arpeggio (pluck strings in series instead of a strum) like

D)
As the
F#m)
deer panteth
Bm)
for the water so my
G)
soul longeth
a7)
after
D)
thee

And then "He is Exhaulted" has both rythym and chord notes

I forgot my music today, I clean it up tomorrow.

Praise Warrior
December 2nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
So when you play the chord and sing all those words under it, do you keep strumming the chord or just play it once?

I think I'll print this out and give it a whirl. Thank you!! :)

Generally you play the chord while singing the word under it, and you keep playing the same chord until the next (different) one comes up. Some songs have different chords for every word or syllable, so you have to play them only once. Fast progressions. Like in "The First Noel"

D Bm F#m D G G D A
Noel, No-el, Noel, Noel
Bm G D G D A7 D
Born is the King of Is-ra-el

Others have slower and fewer progressions where you just strum out the same chord for awhile. "Victory in Jesus" is one. I like to play it in a swing style. Some progressions are faster than others in the song, you can see.

A lot of it depends on the song, on the tempo, how much you want to stick to the recording, on your wrist, and how you want to play it, and how much you want to tone down/add guitar. A bunch start out with fewer progressions and more filling-out is added later on in the song. A really good example is "Complete" by the Parachute Band.
[YOU TUBE VIDEO]Wk7nfr8SSW8[/YOU TUBE VIDEO]

The important thing is that you get the right chords to sound right, in the right places and that you match everyone else. That's how I started out-I'd just hit the chords when they came up in the song at least once, and fill in the rest to match when I could.

I don't pluck individual strings because I'm really bad at it right now, but you can do that. You can also do things like pluck the bass note and then strum the chord after it (for like southern gospel songs).

Wally
December 5th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Ok I made the mistake of going to the local music store,

It will be a Seagull Dreadnaut, Performance CW $700

Hopefully I'll sell enough firewood this spring.

Finger picking instructions $28/hr.

Gosh were the bar chords easy...