PDA

View Full Version : Parable of the 10 Virgins: Wise & Unwise

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23

ChristIsKing2008
November 12th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Thank you for the answer to that question. Puts things into more perspective. I know for me that I am not one of them "Christian in name only' people.
I believe that all of us who are born again, and have accepted Jesus and made him Lord and Saviour, will go in the rapture. So, I guess that means all of us on here! :rapture :yeah :ghug

Castle
November 13th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Well, here's where this gets a little tricky. If oil represents the Holy Spirit, then all 10 virgins have the Holy Spirit. The difference is that when the groom arrives, the foolish virgins are running out of oil ("Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out"). Note that the difference between the groups isn't that one group has oil and the other doesn't, one group has EXTRA oil in jars in addition to the oil in their lamps and the other group doesn't. So you can see the problem here, if one believes that the oil represents the HS then the foolish virgins would have to be people who have the HS, but then lose it. This contrasts with the OSAS doctrine though. Another possible meaning is that this is in reference to believing and unbelieving Israelites. Here's an excerpt from an article on RR:

Link: http://raptureready.com/featured/ice/AnInterpretationofMatthew24_25_36.html

This at least answers it without creating problems with OSAS doctrine. But I'm not convinced this is completely correct either, but that's a subject for another thread :)

Personally, I believe there are as many varying commentaries on the 10 virgins as there are "scholars". I can't think of many passages that have this many divergent opinions.

My take-away message from this parable is simply "BE PREPARED".

So I really don't know beyond that.

Having said that - one thing I have noticed. The five Virgins w/o oil may have NEVER had any oil. There is no evidence from the parable that these 5 ever had any. The wick will burn brightly and flame out quickly w/o oil.

It could mean (I repeat "could", because I don't have a strong opinion either way) that these five didn't have the Holy Spirit even though they APPEARED To. Like many people in the church - they appear to have the HS, but they may not. Many in the church have the outward appearances and go through all the motions, but in fact, they are not saved.

Again, just showing another POV. Most folks who don't believe the 10 virgins has to do with the Rapture - are in the camp who believe that the whole Olivet discourse is ONLY directed to the Nation of Israel. IMO, that colors all other views of these parables, including the 10 Virgins.

Again - the take home message for us should be to "BE PREPARED" with any of the meanings.

Kem
November 13th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Having said that - one thing I have noticed. The five Virgins w/o oil may have NEVER had any oil. There is no evidence from the parable that these 5 ever had any. The wick will burn brightly and flame out quickly w/o oil.

Somehow I never noticed that before, thank you very much for pointing that out.

kgreen20
November 13th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Here's something else that's tricky. The 10 virgins were bridesmaids, not brides. The groom was not marrying 10 women; he was marrying just one. The 10 virgins were there to attend the bride. The Church is not called a collection of bridesmaids; the Church is called the Bride.

Needless to say, I don't want to be a bridesmaid, wise or unwise. I want to be part of the Bride! And thank the Lord, I will be!

Seated
November 13th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I am of the camp that doesn't see the parable as applying to the Church. Don't know if an earlier post pointed it out, but all ten virgins are sleeping during the time before the wedding feast. Hard to apply that to the Church. But it does fit the period of "partial hardening" which Paul said would apply to Israel, with the 5 wise virgins representing the Remnant.

As far as the "oil" goes, the only passage where Jesus indicated what He will be looking for upon His Return is here:

Luke 18:8b ...However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?"

Faith is what I believe the "oil" is, and I agree with some here that the 5 foolish virgins either never had it or lost it.

Buzzardhut
November 13th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I advise everyone to read over the thread again from page 1 since it has been merged into (3) 10 Virgin discussions, very good insight! :thumb

Jacinth
November 13th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Needless to say, I don't want to be a bridesmaid, wise or unwise. I want to be part of the Bride! And thank the Lord, I will be!:pray Amen.

WarriorOfGod
October 21st, 2010, 02:59 AM
Matthew 25:1-13:
1) Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
2) And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
3) They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
4) But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
5) While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
6) And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
7) Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
8) And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
9) But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
10) And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
11) Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
12) But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
13) Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

Which event does this occur, at the Rapture or the Second Coming? I heard there is much debate about this subject. I have read that the bridemaids (virgins) are not the Bride (the Church), but they represents people on earth during the Great Tribulation after the Church has gone at the Rapture before the Second Coming of Christ. Or are they represent saved people (5 wise virgins) and unsaved people (5 foolish virgins) before the Rapture? But verse 13 says that the Son of man cometh, it appears to mean Second Coming of Christ. Can anyone help with that?:hat

Anddra
October 21st, 2010, 05:42 AM
Interesting article by Jack Kelley here ...

http://gracethrufaith.com/selah/parables/the-parable-of-the-ten-virgins/

His Bride
October 21st, 2010, 08:19 AM
Always better to a part of His Bride! :rolleyes