PDA

View Full Version : Proud Submarine Fan

overcomer
July 10th, 2007, 02:18 PM
http://www.sublant.navy.mil/GRAPHICS/NC%20LOGO.gif

Part of the latest Virginia Class Submarines - USS North Carolina SSN 777

*Also trying to see if I can post an image correctly.

No2Flesh
July 11th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Cool, is that a nuke sub?
I think the subs are one of our best weapons.

The Hunt for Red October was good...But my fav is U-571...I have it on dvd.

overcomer
July 12th, 2007, 12:46 PM
The way I understand it, the Virginia Class submarines are a "modular" platform. This means instead of building whole new subs for different missions, these subs can be fitted with floor sections designed for their specific mission, go perform that mission, and come back for a different set of moduls for a differrent mission. A nuclear modual is just an option.

Galoutofdixie
July 12th, 2007, 02:26 PM
My Dh was on the USS Bancroft in the late 70's. He was a sonar operator. He says they messed with the Soviet's in the Med for most of his 2 tours. Of course, that was vice/versa as well, the Soviets messing with them. :twitch

He loves to watch any show with Subs in it. We saw an interesting show on the Virginia class subs last Jan. ( I think). Boy, they are huge!!

My dh says a recruiting motto for the Submarine service should be... "Want to scrub a sub to Hong Kong? Join the Navy". :lol2

Wally
July 13th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Bluejacket fans,

These appear to be of the Seawolf testbed. Hunter, attack type, yes?
Are they replacing the Los Angeles class?

Red October was a great film. Of course I liked McHales Navy too. Seemed the Jap subs often ran aground.

Sand Dollar
July 15th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Submariners have a better workplace, better food and to me are the class of the Navy !!

Only negative is that the view out the window is not so good.

overcomer
July 20th, 2007, 11:21 AM
As I understand from all the programs I have watched on this new class of submarine - the Virginia Class subs are the next class of subs, superior to the Seawolf Class which only produced three subs and at a price that demanded them to stop the production of the Seawolf Class and start looking at a more cost efficinet, flexible sub. Although the three Seawolfs made are incredible pieces of machinery and technology, the latest subs are not of this class, they are the new Virginia Class.