PDA

View Full Version : Analog to digital switch for TV

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

Acquitted
January 27th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I'm still waiting for the government to switch over to the metric system. It's only been about 40 years now. :rolleyes

Tall Timbers
January 27th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I don't have tv... and I think it is hilarious how important tv seems to be in our country... guess it is the main source of brainwashing propaganda and the government doesn't want to take a chance that a few citizens might get a clue of reality (truth) because their tv isn't working for a few days or more...

PurpleRobe
January 27th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Our local TV stations (we don't have TV but I will check news on the internet periodically) offered this explanation, "those most vulnerable will be left without local TV access."

"Vulnerable?" what the heck does that mean? :idunno :shocked :ohnoI am assuming the elderly, low-income. I guess TV station are so myoptic they forget about radio, computer, newspapers, etc. :nope

Well...when my mom was still here, she had tv on all the time. It kind of kept her from being lonely - couldn't read that well anymore, and she just never could get that computer thing down, you know?
It was easier to click remote buttons than trying to tune a radio dial....:wave

zhan
January 27th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I don't have tv... and I think it is hilarious how important tv seems to be in our country... guess it is the main source of brainwashing propaganda and the government doesn't want to take a chance that a few citizens might get a clue of reality (truth) because their tv isn't working for a few days or more...

Heh, I know what you mean. While I do have a TV, it's primary use is a Netflix movie watcher (lots of Doctor Who at the moment, made it to the 70ies so far). I actually enjoy not sitting in front of the tube all the time, though I do sit in front of the net.

-----

But back to topic, yeah, main reason for the switch is it will free up chunks of bandwidth in the transmission spectrum. Think of it like a hole in your wall where you bring water into your house. The hole is the spectrum. You can put 10 red pipes in that each do 10gal/min (analog), *or* you can fit 100 green pipes in it that each do 100gal/min. Not only can you fit more pipes in the same hole in the wall, but each pipe in and of itself can handle a *lot* more throughput. This is needed if you wish to receive HDTV and other nifty new things (broadcast internet) in the future. [note: numbers not to scale, they're just an example to illustrate the idea]

Some of the frequencies used now for analog will be re-tasked to digital broadcast as well to give the portion of the spectrum we're using for digital even more breathing room. Some will be re-tasked for digital EMS services (police, fire, rescue) but I doubt it will be analog unless they just have old equipment*. I think most of it will be bundled and resold (leased actually) to private interests. Whether those frequencies will be reused as analog or digital will depend solely on what the private company that buys the spectrum feels like doing with it.

As for Google and broadcast internet, I would imagine that Google would jump on the frequency range fire sale and lock up as much of the holes in the wall as it can. I would imagine though that they'd use that space to put out digital pipes, just because you can push so much more through them, which is needed for net access.

*I had to add this plug for analog though: One spot it is superior at is punching the signal through in marginal areas (like at the edge of the signal's range). Voice might come through distorted, but it will come through. The same goes for video, the old 'snow on the screen' effect might be there, but you can still make out the picture. With digital you have the bad tendency to lose an entire frame of information instead of just having flipped pixels or pops / static. Analog can handle a greater noise:signal ratio while still getting ineligible data through than digital. Mind you, you can just make the digital transmitters more powerful or add in lots of error correction code to make up for that tendency, but that's a whole nother conversation and I've blathered on too much already.

Jaiu
January 27th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I think the scariest thing at this point is them listening in. All of the cable boxes (or most) have a chip or device in them. If activated, the government can listen in on us.

twisty58
January 27th, 2009, 01:45 PM
nuh nuh nuh no! Something isn't right about this. There's something more to the story!
At this point I am considering doing away with my tv altogether. Obama and his homies are up to something.

logosone
January 27th, 2009, 01:49 PM
The reason Obama pushed this back is because the government ran out of the free coupons to help pay for the converter boxes. There was a huge outcry from the welfare sect that they couldn't afford the full price of the boxes.

There's probably a huge Black Market crack for TV racket going on :thinking

logosone
January 27th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Totally. It's like anything else, ya gotta moderate it.

felixthecat
January 27th, 2009, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=
Actually, Google is thinking of buying the unused analog frequencies and 'broadcasting' the internet over them. Basically, you might be able to get internet anywhere you currently get local TV in the future.[/QUOTE]

That might be useful for cellphones. It will also break up ABC, NBC and CBS.

But Google had better get control of their carbon footprnt from their search engines ... the GREEN police are eyeing them ... I'm not kidding ... I posted something on this on R/R .. forget where.

logosone
January 27th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Wait a minute. You mean to tell me Google is now going to take over TV? :faint