PDA

View Full Version : Analog to digital switch for TV

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

FrankBeMe
January 8th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Maybe Obama lost his $40 coupon to get one of the boxes and now has to find another way to keep his rabbit ear reception....

I guess that someone forgot to tell him that there are plenty of free cable hookups all over the White House

Silver
January 8th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I heard something the other day about needing congress to approve more money for vouchers for those switching over. I think it was on fox?! I'll try to find the article and post it. But this could be why he's wanting to post pone.

I am sure is has to do with money...

Silver
January 8th, 2009, 04:28 PM
You can still apply for the voucher at dtv.gov and you will be put on a waiting list until more funds become available.

http://www.kget.com/news/local/story/The-big-digital-switch-Are-you-ready/3_CFc5Noa0-E1oCIYKAwUw.cspx

kcofohio
January 8th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Okay, I wonder how many people actually will need one of these tuners. Here is a guide line:

Here are some general guidelines that may help:

If you bought your TV set before 1998, it probably doesn't have a digital tuner at all. Almost every TV set made before 1998 was a traditional "analog" set that can't display digital TV signals without either a special converter or a cable TV connection. If you bought a big-screen, projection TV between 1998 and 2004, it's possible there's a built-in digital tuner inside. But chances aren't great. Only a limited percentage of projection TV sets (and generally only those 42 inches in diameter or larger) included digital tuners before 2004.

If you've purchased a new TV set since 2004, your chances of having a built-in digital tuner improve dramatically. Starting in 2004, many of the TV sets sold at popular electronics stores have featured digital tuners that will let you receive the new digital over-the-air broadcasts starting in February 2009. But be wary: It's not a sure thing. Even some of the newer TV sets are purely display monitors that lack the internal circuitry needed to pick up digital broadcasts. Usually these sets have been advertised as "HD-ready" or "HDTV monitor" sets. That means they can display digital and high-definition signals, but they need help getting those signals in the first place. You'll still need a special converter or a cable TV connection.

Yeah, you know there is money making involved. I just wonder how many people end up buying a digital tuner, when they don't need one.:idunno

Biblenuggetlady
January 8th, 2009, 04:47 PM
If you have cable tv, you won't be affected, so how many folks watch TV without cable anymore? :idunno

I am so glad he's focusing on the minors with the majors going on in the world today. This makes me feel like he's trying to put his hands in too many pots. Maybe he should just buy every home a new TV, boost the economy and what's another $18 billion when we're in the deficit of trillions? My tv's are old, but if I lost all TV usage in a month, I don't see I'd be out much with the internet and RR anyway. :thumb

Seriously, with our economy and world upheaval, this is the least of my concerns.

tml1432
January 8th, 2009, 04:49 PM
they will give vouchers for TV boxes, but pass a law saying you can't buy or sell used childrens goods? I am sorry folks but this is INSANE!!!!

SeekingHim
January 8th, 2009, 04:59 PM
BibleNuggetLady...I understand what you are saying but I know many who have no cable or sattelite. :faint

My dad, brother and brother-in-law are the 3 closest taht come to mind quickly.

LoudRam
January 8th, 2009, 05:14 PM
We need to get a box for the TV in our travel trailer. It's just a small 13" that uses an antenna on top of our trailer.

Our house is fine, we have DirectTV.

semo
January 8th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Okay, I wonder how many people actually will need one of these tuners. Here is a guide line:

Yeah, you know there is money making involved. I just wonder how many people end up buying a digital tuner, when they don't need one.:idunno
I needed a converter box. I have an old tv from my undergrad days and no current cable. I use an antenna on my tv to pick up channels (without it I don't get any channels).

So there are still some of us around with no cable and old tv's. I got my $40 coupon for a converter box in the summer. I turned it on to see what would happen and I went from 7-8 (clear to semi-fuzzy channels) to one really clear channel. So I turned it back off. I hope I will have more than 1 channel come February.

christschild
January 8th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I just can't immagine what O is up to. This has been in the works for at least a year now.