PDA

View Full Version : Church of Christ

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

ncgeezer
February 14th, 2009, 07:34 PM
No they don't. At least not the one I'm a member of. We have a lot of music and yes instrumental and singing and a choir!

Your congregation would be an exception to the rule, in my experience. Maybe your local congregation is truly independent and unaffiliated in any way with the traditional Campbellite congregations. The autonomy of the local congregation would certainly permit it, but I can't imagine that more traditional congregations would consider yours to be in good fellowship status, at least in my experience with the COC. And, by the way, I am not criticizing your congregation, but rather the very narrow and legalistic views of matters such as this in the COCs I attended. I'd be much more comfortable in your congregation these days than I would be in any Campbellite congregation.

narnia's description concerning the use of instumental music and the salvific effect of baptism is entirely consistent with my experience in the COC.

narnia
February 14th, 2009, 07:37 PM
No they don't! At least not the one I'm a member of. We have a lot of music and yes instrumental and singing and a choir!
Then I'd say you're not going to a church of Christ that's part of the traditional churches of Christ across the southwest US.

I don't think I can post links yet, but if you go to the link posted above and to the "Bible Study" link, click on the "Truth for the World" link and go to "Tracts" you will find a couple of tracts on how they traditionally have viewed these things as not scriptural and their arguments for why not.

narnia
February 14th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Then I'd say you're not going to a church of Christ that's part of the traditional churches of Christ across the southwest US.

I don't think I can post links yet, but if you go to the link posted above and to the "Bible Study" link, click on the "Truth for the World" link and go to "Tracts" you will find a couple of tracts on how they traditionally have viewed these things as not scriptural and their arguments for why not.This is also from another one of their tracts at the same place "Does Baptism Save?" I would imagine there are many who would disagree with this.

What is necessary to save man from his sins? It takes Godís part which is grace (Ephesians 2:8), mercy (Titus 3:5), Christ Jesus (Matthew 1:21); His life (Romans 5:10); His blood (Romans 5:9); and the Gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4). It also takes manís part which is faith (Romans 5:1); works (James 2:24); calling on the name of the Lord (Romans 10:13); hope (Romans 8:24); our effort (Acts 2:40); and being baptized (1 Peter 3:21). The Bible does not teach that man is saved by anything alone! God, through His Word, the Bible, says it takes ALL of these things to save us from our sins. To deny such is to deny the Word of God!

ReadytoGoNow
February 14th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Your congregation would be an exception to the rule, in my experience. Maybe your local congregation is truly independent and unaffiliated in any way with the traditional Campbellite congregations. The autonomy of the local congregation would certainly permit it, but I can't imagine that more traditional congregations would consider yours to be in good fellowship status, at least in my experience with the COC. And, by the way, I am not criticizing your congregation, but rather the very narrow and legalistic views of matters such as this in the COCs I attended. I'd be much more comfortable in your congregation these days than I would be in any Campbellite congregation.

narnia's description concerning the use of instumental music and the salvific effect of baptism is entirely consistent with my experience in the COC.

We are not Campbellite. We are not affiliated with them. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I do not live in the south. So... Do NOT assume. This is what I said in my first post.

What I want to caution is that there are differences in churches specifically. I have found that just because a church is affiliated with Baptist, Church of Christ or another is that each church can be different - especially regionally.
But yes my church is very biblical.

The Church of Christ/Independent Christian Church is not the United Church of Christ. They are completely different

The Church of Christ/Independent Christian Church believe in the straight from the Bible six-day creation.
Yes MsSophie you are right.

ncgeezer
February 14th, 2009, 09:37 PM
We are not Campbellite. We are not affiliated with them. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I do not live in the south. So... Do NOT assume. This is what I said in my first post.

Why are you so defensive? From what you said about instrumental music in your church, it was fairly clear to me that your congregation was probably not a Campbellite congregation and so I used the term to distinguish between what narnia and I were describing and what your congregation does. I don't know enough about your congregation to criticize it in any way, so I didn't and I won't. If you are happy there and you feel like you are being well-shepherded there, then praise the Lord!

I do, however, know a good deal about Campbellite congregations, so I feel qualified to critique them as others ask about them. I can't be enthusiastic about recommending Campbellite congregations, for the reasons that narnia, myself, and others have given. As I have stated before, I think our experiences are more typical than yours. The original poster will need to attend the church to which he was invited and let us know what the affiliations are.

MsSophie
February 14th, 2009, 10:33 PM
They believe that instrumental music, solo singing or choirs (apart from entire congregational singing) is not scriptural and therefore not allowed.

They also believe that Baptism is essential for the forgiveness of sins and therefore salvation, which is problematic for some.

There are three different divisions in this church. The one you are speaking of is the Church of Christ non-instrumental. There is also the Church of Christ which broke off from them. They do have instrumentation. Then there s the Independent Christian Church. I used to go to the Independent Christian Church and they preach pre-trib, at least ours did.

Anddra
February 15th, 2009, 08:44 AM
<snip>

They also believe that Baptism is essential for the forgiveness of sins and therefore salvation, which is problematic for some.

This is not a brethren teaching.

Narnia, you really need to do more homework before posting here.

deerekid
February 15th, 2009, 09:41 AM
This is not a brethren teaching.

Narnia, you really need to do more homework before posting here.

I have a family member that is a minister for the Church of Christ. He has consistently told me that I must attend a church weekly and be baptized by full immersion to be saved. I love him dearly, but unfortunately, we cannot come to agreement on those issues.

From my own personal experience, Narnia is correct.

Buzzardhut
February 15th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Do they have a strong Christian doctrine? It appears by name they do but that does not always mean so. I've been invited to one tomorrow.
salvation through water baptism
some teach you must remain active and attend services or lose salvation

Struggling
February 15th, 2009, 09:56 AM
salvation through water baptism
some teach you must remain active and attend services or lose salvation

Where do people come up with all these laws? Looks like it will be another week before I go.