PDA

View Full Version : Church of Christ

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Anddra
February 15th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I have a family member that is a minister for the Church of Christ. He has consistently told me that I must attend a church weekly and be baptized by full immersion to be saved. I love him dearly, but unfortunately, we cannot come to agreement on those issues.

From my own personal experience, Narnia is correct.

I had read Narnia's post as being in response to the previous poster, who was suggesting looking into 'Open Brethren' churches, which are not the same as the Church of Christ. Thus, I was answering in relation to Open Brethren, which I know a lot about, rather than to the Church of Christ, which I know very little about.

deerekid
February 15th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I had read Narnia's post as being in response to the previous poster, who was suggesting looking into 'Open Brethren' churches, which are not the same as the Church of Christ. Thus, I was answering in relation to Open Brethren, which I know a lot about, rather than to the Church of Christ, which I know very little about.

I'm sorry. I should have read more carefully.

Anddra
February 15th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I'm sorry. I should have read more carefully.

With posts it is often difficult to tell which post is being answered, so I may have got it wrong. :hug

cat
February 15th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I'm from a very small Oklahoma town with only about 5 churches left. I have dear friends that are CoC that I don't dare get into faith conversations with.
This particular CoC does not believe in musical instruments. If you cannot be there to partake of communion, they will bring it to you. You must be baptised. They believe their way is the ONLY way. They don't believe OSAS. A person told me it took her husband 3 years after they were married to convince her she was wrong...she was raised in another church.

MsSophie
February 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I'm from a very small Oklahoma town with only about 5 churches left. I have dear friends that are CoC that I don't dare get into faith conversations with.
This particular CoC does not believe in musical instruments. If you cannot be there to partake of communion, they will bring it to you. You must be baptised. They believe their way is the ONLY way. They don't believe OSAS. A person told me it took her husband 3 years after they were married to convince her she was wrong...she was raised in another church.

Yes, the Church of Christ non-instrumental consider it "their way or the highway". They are very non-ecumenical (which in some ways is good). That's one of the reasons for the split in the Church of Christ non-instrumental and the Church of Christ (Disciples of Christ) which started leaning toward ecumenicalism and also became somewhat more liberal. They also started wearing the vestments in their services.

I went to an Independent Christian Church for twenty years. There were some good things in that church. The members are very much in to Bible study. It's encouraged on a daily basis and the members in general know much more of the scripture than other churches I went to before and more than those I've been to since. Also, the people seemed very dedicated to Christian living. They were dedicated to all the services, Sunday morning, Sunday evening and mid-week services. The number of people in Sunday School almost equaled the number of people in the worship service. You don't see that often. They were pre-trib but I didn't agree with their stance on baptism and basically just ignored their negative stance on OSAS. Instead they believe a person is in the "process of being saved". They were also very much in to witnessing. Each church is autonomous so the leadership has a lot to do with many areas of how an individual church is run. The pastor is considered to be another elder and has no more say so than the other elders. They are very fundamental in that women don't teach men nor are they elders or deacons. Also, a man who has never been divorced but is married to a woman who has been divorced in the past is not allowed to be a deacon or elder.

These are just some things I can tell you about this particular church. I no longer go there and it's disappointing that I can't find another denomination where the members are as dedicated to Christian living and Bible study for all their members as this one.

Struggling
February 15th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Yes, the Church of Christ non-instrumental consider it "their way or the highway". They are very non-ecumenical (which in some ways is good). That's one of the reasons for the split in the Church of Christ non-instrumental and the Church of Christ (Disciples of Christ) which started leaning toward ecumenicalism and also became somewhat more liberal. They also started wearing the vestments in their services.

I went to an Independent Christian Church for twenty years. There were some good things in that church. The members are very much in to Bible study. It's encouraged on a daily basis and the members in general know much more of the scripture than other churches I went to before and more than those I've been to since. Also, the people seemed very dedicated to Christian living. They were dedicated to all the services, Sunday morning, Sunday evening and mid-week services. The number of people in Sunday School almost equaled the number of people in the worship service. You don't see that often. They were pre-trib but I didn't agree with their stance on baptism and basically just ignored their negative stance on OSAS. Instead they believe a person is in the "process of being saved". They were also very much in to witnessing. Each church is autonomous so the leadership has a lot to do with many areas of how an individual church is run. The pastor is considered to be another elder and has no more say so than the other elders. They are very fundamental in that women don't teach men nor are they elders or deacons. Also, a man who has never been divorced but is married to a woman who has been divorced in the past is not allowed to be a deacon or elder.

These are just some things I can tell you about this particular church. I no longer go there and it's disappointing that I can't find another denomination where the members are as dedicated to Christian living and Bible study for all their members as this one.

That is impossible to find these days. We had some friends over who attend a assembly of God. We went there for a few months. It was too emotion based with the members have little Biblical knowledge. I also see a lack of fruit. We went out to eat and I flipped the bill to be nice which was over $100.00. I thought they would leave a tip and they never. To me this shows greed so I ended up leaving the tip too. I noticed many little things like this about the members of that particular church other than they know very little about the Lord they claim to serve. Which to me is no small thing.

tlroffice
February 18th, 2009, 08:50 PM
That is impossible to find these days. We had some friends over who attend a assembly of God. We went there for a few months. It was too emotion based with the members have little Biblical knowledge. I also see a lack of fruit. We went out to eat and I flipped the bill to be nice which was over $100.00. I thought they would leave a tip and they never. To me this shows greed so I ended up leaving the tip too. I noticed many little things like this about the members of that particular church other than they know very little about the Lord they claim to serve. Which to me is no small thing.

Just like several posters have indicated, there are differences among churches even if they are the same denomination. It's just not right to lump all churches of a denomination together.

I attend a nondenominational church which once was affiliated with the AoG. My pastor preaches from the Word weekly, and while I am nowhere near an "expert" on Scripture, I learn something new from the sermons each week. I'm hoping that you are just referring to that particular church and not speaking of the entire denomination. Just my .02

Struggling
February 19th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Just like several posters have indicated, there are differences among churches even if they are the same denomination. It's just not right to lump all churches of a denomination together.

I attend a nondenominational church which once was affiliated with the AoG. My pastor preaches from the Word weekly, and while I am nowhere near an "expert" on Scripture, I learn something new from the sermons each week. I'm hoping that you are just referring to that particular church and not speaking of the entire denomination. Just my .02

I went to a couple churches of that denomination. They were similar experiences.

toadster
February 21st, 2009, 08:56 PM
I remember going to a CoC with a friend of mine for awhile. I liked some of what they taught, but struggled with some of the key issues they believed in.
I guess the only reason I went is b/c I liked (at the time) the person I was going with.

They had literature on the the things they believed in, and why they believe what they believe.

Some of the things were the things already mentioned:

You can lose your salvation
Must be water baptized to earn salvation
Instruments are not allowed
The book of Revelation has already happened.

I know there are exceptions to the rule, as at least one of the posters have already mentioned...but just be careful if you decide to go.

MsSophie
February 22nd, 2009, 01:37 AM
As mentioned earlier Toadster, there are different splits in the Church of Christ. I think the OP was not speaking of the Church of Christ non-instrumental. There are three branches, Church of Christ non-instrumental, Church of Christ Disciples of Christ and the Independent Christian Church. They are all somewhat different and since they are autonomous except I believe the Disciples of Christ are ecumenical they all vary somewhat. For instance I went to an Independent Christian Church for twenty years and they do believe in the pre-trib and they have musical instruments.