March 2nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
I love Clara's videos. She is just precious:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DepressionCooking

Awwww... :)

I loved watching her. :hug Thank you! :thumb

BarbT
March 2nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
I have two, beautiful words for you people: THRIFT SHOPS :nod

I've been hooked on finding second hand bargains for 25 years -- even when I was making good money in better times. I know this may sound tacky to those of you who are used to buying "top of the line" but you'd be amazed at the great stuff you can find at these places.

A pair of $50 Levis at Macys will cost $5 for a nearly identical pair at a good thrift store. A person watching his finances can augment or replace his entire wardrobe for very little money. :thumb

KissyLoves
March 2nd, 2009, 09:15 PM
My grandma washes tinfoil and ziploc bags, and re-uses them (as long as it's not torn). After she wipes a counter with a papertowel, she lets it dry to re-use on the counter. And I've never seen someone boil one tea bag four times to make one gallon of tea, but it's acutally pretty good that way. She has always kept her freezers and cabinets packed. She was born just before the Great Depression hit. I hope she'll feel like showing me how to 'can' vegtables when the time comes.

IlovemyJesus
March 2nd, 2009, 09:25 PM
would someone explain to me what washing soda is???? Never heard of it.

savedatcamp
March 2nd, 2009, 09:30 PM
I have two, beautiful words for you people: THRIFT SHOPS :nod

I've been hooked on finding second hand bargains for 25 years -- even when I was making good money in better times. I know this may sound tacky to those of you who are used to buying "top of the line" but you'd be amazed at the great stuff you can find at these places.

A pair of $50 Levis at Macys will cost $5 for a nearly identical pair at a good thrift store. A person watching his finances can augment or replace his entire wardrobe for very little money. :thumb

BarbT, you are right on! Thrift stores!!:hat I shop them constantly and have for 10 yrs or so and find the best things. Today a pair of never worn $70 tennis shoes just in my size for $5.65, cute cheap t-shirts, I have found $80 Lucky brand jeans for $4.00, cashmere sweaters this winter for $3.00.... need I say more? You save a ton of money. Then, make a big pot of potato soup and douse a bunch of Franks Hot Sauce in it. Yummy, filling and so very cheap.
Blessings,
savedatcamp

Texas Girl
March 2nd, 2009, 09:42 PM
would someone explain to me what washing soda is???? Never heard of it.

Armon Hammer makes it. It is on the same isle as the laundry detergent. It comes in a big box like what you'd find dish washer soap in. You'll know it when you see it because it has that familiar Armon Hammer look to it. It is really for adding to your regular laundry soap but it makes a good laundry soap!

HooahWifey
March 2nd, 2009, 10:38 PM
I've been making a big attempt not to waste any food in our home. I always, always, always keep leftovers (even if it's two tablespoons of corn!) in tupperware in the fridge. If the kids eat their sandwich minus the crusts, I'll eat them. Whatever they leave on their plate, I eat it (in addition to whatever I ate). No sense throwing away their food, to find myself coming back to the kitchen two hours later for a snack. I try to take advantage of the meals to keep myself full as long as possible. This might not work for people who are trying to watch their diet/count calories, but I've found it's helping me to buy less snacky foods.

Seemomgonuts
March 2nd, 2009, 11:01 PM
Awwww... :)

I loved watching her. :hug Thank you! :thumb

You're welcome! :hug She makes me miss my Great Grandma. Makes me wish I was older before she died, so that I could have learned all of this. When I was paying attention to her in the kitchen, all I cared about was cakes! :lol2 So I can make awesome cakes, but I can't sew or can, both of which were her specialty! Oh well.....I bought my daughter a sewing machine, and we are learning together. I need to learn to knit too.

Free Indeed!
March 2nd, 2009, 11:20 PM
If I am cooking meat in the oven, I try to put the rest of the meal in as well, rather than using more power to run the burners on top of the stove.

Eg. Carrots cut up into water in a covered casserole dish will 'bake' to perfect doneness along with the potatoes and meat loaf in an hour. Just make sure to have enough water that they don't cook themselves dry. They basically boil in the covered dish the same as they would on top of the stove.

If you like rice, put rice with the appropriate amount of water into a covered casserole, add celery and green onion (chopped) along with a dash of soya sauce. Let it cook in the oven beside the chicken.