PDA

View Full Version : Hints for Economizing

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

Texas Girl
March 9th, 2009, 07:05 AM
wow! Those are some great ideas! Thank you. I think I'm going to start some of it today! :rotfl

Abigail
March 9th, 2009, 07:29 AM
If anyone has any wonderful ideas for keeping the electricity bill low in the summer I would love to hear it. Here in central Texas it gets into the 100s for days at a time. It will be in the low 90s tomorrow! Ugh! I don't think there's much hope of keeping the bill down, but maybe??? :idunno

I lived in the deep south all my life until a few months ago, so I feel your pain!

We experienced several hurricanes, including Katrina, so I've learned a few things about enforced NO A/C...no fans either. Thankfully, we had ICE.

One thing that really works is to soak a small towel in ice water and drape it around your neck. There are also commercial "neck coolers" that use crystals to achieve the same purpose. This really helps to cool you down, so that the raised thermostat doesn't bother you as much.

For the ladies, I always found sundresses cooler than shorts and tees.

Used ceiling fans in every room for years; the air circulation alone allows you to raise the thermostat.

I do agree with Sunny, though...we're wimps! A big part of the problem is that we're just not acclimated to the heat as former generations were. However, with the way the economy is going, we may soon have no choice but to get used to it.

Unfortunately, a big issue is the fact that modern houses are not built to function efficiently without climate control systems. The old houses in the deep south had high ceilings, transoms on the windows, windows placed to take advantage of cross ventilation. Doors had screens so they could be opened for cross ventilation purposes as well. Windows often had awnings to cut out on the sunlight...Big trees helped too. If you are fortunate to have a house that has these features (or at least some of them) this will help too.

All this is reminding me of how much I don't miss Louisiana!!

Texas Girl
March 9th, 2009, 08:22 AM
There is hope! Thanks y'all. Here's a link to make your own neck coolers...
http://www.p2designs.com/ShipCooler.htm

Sunny
March 9th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Amen on the sundresses!

Even while doing construction around here, when it is safe to do so, I wear dresses. I even regularly douse myself with a hose. (I can get away with that out in the country. :lol2) You get shade and air movement combined. I also have large umbrellas to keep cool if I'm outside gardening. I'll poke one in the ground next to my chair and work that way.

Neck coolers are wonderful. Thanks for the link!

Abigail
March 9th, 2009, 08:26 AM
There is hope! Thanks y'all. Here's a link to make your own neck coolers...
http://www.p2designs.com/ShipCooler.htm

That's it!! Thanks for the link!! Amazing how those things really do help.

Heartstorm
March 9th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I have made it all winter without once turning on the heat.... I have used the woodstove !!! I cut wood all summer and piled it up. My propane bill fell to 20 gallons a month !! Someone on another thread last year gave a recipe for making firestarters using egg crates and dryer lint, I made some ... then some more then got lazy and went to buy some and they were over 9 dollars !! So needless to say I passed and made my own again, I now have a huge pile of them. They work great !! and made from stuff you would throw away. My chickens have laid all winter and kept us in eggs plus I can sell them to the country store. Remember the 3 R's Reuse, Recyle, Repair !!! :preach

Heartstorm
March 9th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Woo hooo My sil just called me, they have bought a milk cow ! She is pregnant ! Due in August, I bartered, Labor helping build the pasture and shelter, taming, and mucking and learning how to milk the thing, for free milk and since she is a Jersey her milk is over 1/3 cream !! I can make butter !! and maybe one day cheese, Yogurt. Sour cream and cottage cheese ?? I also put dibs in on the baby if it is a girl !!! Now with our garden this year, and the cow that will give us a boost on the food bill. Just this week we traded labor for one case of green chilis and a case of fresh green beans, we roasted and peeled and froze the chilis and canned the beans!! Got 7 pounds of Cheddar cheese and grated it all and put into smaller bags and into the freezer. Keeping your eyes and ears open and speaking out loud and clear is amazing!!!

Texas Girl
March 9th, 2009, 08:59 AM
The price of coffee has gone through the roof! If you boil your grounds they go twice as far, cutting your cost in half. And I swear I made a very good pitcher of tea the other day by boiling ONE tea bag (for a little while)!

watchwoman
March 9th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Hello Texas Girl! Check the OP for some ideas on how to keep your house cooler in summer without the air conditioner. :wave

Texas Girl
March 9th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Woo hooo My sil just called me, they have bought a milk cow ! She is pregnant ! Due in August, I bartered, Labor helping build the pasture and shelter, taming, and mucking and learning how to milk the thing, for free milk and since she is a Jersey her milk is over 1/3 cream !! I can make butter !! and maybe one day cheese, Yogurt. Sour cream and cottage cheese ?? I also put dibs in on the baby if it is a girl !!! Now with our garden this year, and the cow that will give us a boost on the food bill. Just this week we traded labor for one case of green chilis and a case of fresh green beans, we roasted and peeled and froze the chilis and canned the beans!! Got 7 pounds of Cheddar cheese and grated it all and put into smaller bags and into the freezer. Keeping your eyes and ears open and speaking out loud and clear is amazing!!!

Wow!!!!!! I would be excited about the milk cow too! I pay $5 a gallon for organic hormone free milk for my daughter. I'm doing the happy dance for you! :yeah