PDA

View Full Version : Hints for Economizing

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

gal36
March 10th, 2009, 08:11 PM
My stepmom is 70 and has the face of a 50 or so year old. I asked what her secret was, since about 5 or 10 years ago she looked much older than she does now. I started using this a few months ago and have great results. I used the bees wax version. This is much less expensive that over the counter moisturizers. I also use this during the day. I wipe it off after an hour. This is what she does:

4 ozs. almond oil, 3 ozs. of olive oil, 1 oz. shaved candlewax or bee wax, Onion juice added and mixture was melted, stirring until cool and scented with rosewater. Squeeze the juice out of a piece of ionion with an ordinary garlic squeezer. Stir over heat until melted, adding a tsp of rosewater. Allow to cool, and bottle it for storage and future use. I pour it into a glass container and leave it uncovered to cool and harden.

Apply once a day to forehead, face and neck at bedtime. Cover the pillow with something to prevent staining. Wipe off a few hrs. later or upon awakening with cotton balls soaked with rubbing alcohol. The use any gentle commerical skin cleanser and toner or moisturizer. I use witch hazel for a toner.

Now this does not happen over night. It takes a long time to see results so don't be a hurry.

PS let me know if you like this.

gal36
March 10th, 2009, 08:15 PM
About 10 years ago I stopped using deoderant or antiperspirant. Instead I use a salt crystal that can be bought in health food stores. They cost less than $10.00. I have used the same one for three years now. That is a significant savings.

It took about a month to adjust. I perspired a little more but that subsided. I use it after taking a shower and it lasts all day. It does not stain clothes or leave residue.

gal36
March 10th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I just thought of another thing I do that is economic for me and reduces my intake of soda, tea, coffee, etc...

I make juice from my leftover fruit. I go to costco and buy large bag of fruit that I eat. When I have left over fruit, which I usually do, I juice it and then freeze it in ice cube trays or small yogart cups. Then when I feel like drinking something other that just water I use the frozen juice as ice cubes. I usually empty the tray of ice into a freezer bag to prevent that icy buildup from a freezer that has auto defrost.

I have done this with oranges, grapefruit, lemons, apples, pomegranites, etc... The only type I found a bit sour was the lemons, which I added stevia or honey to the water.

JoyfulSister
April 1st, 2009, 11:36 AM
I found a great website that I found informative and interesting. Lots of how to's and step by step.
http://frugalliving.about.com/

markofthebest
April 1st, 2009, 12:13 PM
Cool! Thanks!

cris
June 27th, 2009, 01:29 PM
The Economy doesn't look good.

3kidzmom
June 28th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I've always been a frugal shopper, but now more than ever.

I buy only very few name brand items... most cleaning products or grocery items in store brand versions are just as good.

I used to just shop at yard sales and thrift stores. Now, I trade out volunteer work hours at a local thrift store in exchange for items I can use in my house-- or clothing items that my family can use. It's not a bad agreement, because I sort items as they come in- and if it's something I can use, I get first choice on whether I want it for myself or if it goes out for sale. I've gotten a lot of needed items for my children's wardrobes this way. I just wish I could find more jeans for my husband to wear to work!! LOL

I buy in bulk on household items that we use on a regular basis in one trip to Sam's club-- and I stay away from Walmart and other places where the temptation to grab items on impulse is the greatest. I try to limit grocery shopping trips to once a month, and only pick up bread, milk and eggs as needed in between. Most everything else can be gotten in the monthly shopping trip. I could even do the same with the milk, bread-- but there's no freezer space to keep those items. I also try to watch sales circulars for loss leader items, and buy needed items at those times to stock up on extras. I've done that for years, and it always saves me money.

Due to gas prices, we've cut back on mowing weekly, to mowing every two weeks. It's been fairly dry here the last several weeks so it's not growing as fast anyway.

Food prices have inspired us to plant a much larger garden than usual-- and we will be canning and preserving as much as possible.

We have never been ones that eat out on a whim-- or go out for entertainment. We entertain ourselves at home, and prepare meals at home as well. We can make steaks, baked potatoes, veggie kabobs & Salads at home for everyone cheaper than we could all go out and eat a burger combo meal. Our church also offers all kinds of activities for our family at no cost or very little cost to us-- so we take advantage of participation in those activities.

We borrow movies from the library, pop our own popcorn the old fashioned way on the stove. It only costs pennies to feed everyone all the popcorn they want-- and we drink iced tea or lemonade. We have family game nights. We love board games, and have a large collection of them that we've accumulated-- mostly from yard sales or gifts given to the kids on birthdays, etc.

When we leave home for doctor office visits or other reasons, we take a cooler of water & snacks so that we don't have extra expenses if out longer than expected.

We try to take care of multiple errands with one trip to save on fuel costs.

I have a website online that brings in a little extra side income for me, so that helps out. I used to sell items on ebay, but have run out of items to sell! Since the seller fees have increased, it's hardly worth it anyway unless I come across something I can really make a large amount of money on.

I use several internet trade forums. I list items I have to offer, and so do other people. We buy from each other, or trade if we have an established relationship to trust each other to do that. It's another great way to get needed items like trading off books children have grown tired of for new reading material, etc.

There's more, but my mom is at the door... I'll be back later. :)

Old Bullrider
August 5th, 2009, 09:35 PM
The many uses of WD40, Vinegar and Baking Soda

http://www.allthingsfrugal.com/vinegar.htm

http://thenewhomemaker.com/vinegar

http://www.vansopinion.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=123

http://www.essortment.com/home/manyuseswdh_sjsr.htm

http://www.i4at.org/lib2/60soda.htm

http://www.bellybytes.com/articles/bakingsoda.shtml

There is another use for baking soda and that is for cleaning wax out of your ears. I have an extreme problem with wax build up in my ears. I sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of baking soda in the bathroom sink with about 3 inches of hot water. Then using a bulb syringe spray the mix into my ears. My mother did this for me when I was a child.

texasgirl
October 22nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
Just got a chance to read this.......great ideas!

But on the air conditioner part...it gets so hot here in Texas....like 105....we would burn up without the A/C. There isn't even a breeze. It gets pretty bad..lol...

I am cutting back and trying to save money.......baby steps......

OneDayNearer
October 24th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Just got a chance to read this.......great ideas!

But on the air conditioner part...it gets so hot here in Texas....like 105....we would burn up without the A/C. There isn't even a breeze. It gets pretty bad..lol...

I am cutting back and trying to save money.......baby steps......

I'm in Texas too and this year we got solar screens put on our windows to help with the brutal summers. I only wish I had done it sooner! They are wonderful! Our electric bills have dropped approx. 30% and it is soooo much more comfortable.

We're going to leave them on year-round because in the winter they help to keep the cold winds off the windows, so you get energy savings all year.

The solar screens easily pay for themselves. :thumb