PDA

View Full Version : Catholics urged to give up text messaging and iPods for Lent

Pages : [1] 2 3

BornAgain123
March 6th, 2009, 05:54 AM
http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v/12346195

Rebecca S
March 6th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I've never understood Lent. To me, you should give something up because of a personal conviction not because the "church" told you to do so. It just seems like an empty offering.

His Bride
March 6th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Hosea 6:6 For I delight in loyalty rather than sacrifice, and in the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.

It's always been about the heart.

Gabby
March 6th, 2009, 10:22 AM
It is better to obey than sacrifice... I Samuel 15:22

Still though...not knocking sacrifice. I don't think we do enough of it. But not in the context of what the RCC says.

BornAgain123
March 6th, 2009, 06:30 PM
It is better to obey than sacrifice... I Samuel 15:22

Still though...not knocking sacrifice. I don't think we do enough of it. But not in the context of what the RCC says.

Satan will do everything in REVERSE of the bible.

Abigail
March 6th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I was raised RC and never understood the "sacrifice" of eating seafood poboys on Fridays during lent.

Some sacrifice!!:lol2

BBB
March 6th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I hope I am not breaking any rules doing this, but this is from a MB from a Catholic about Lent. I am wondering just what is wrong with what they are doing here. I mean, I know that it is ceremony (needless?) that the RCC really gets into and adores, but is there really anything biblically wrong with it?

"I'm happy you're interested in getting a Catholic refresher on the observances of Lent, xxxxx. There's more that's not been covered yet.

The 40 days of Lent are observed to prepare us in the same way Jesus fasted and prayed in the desert to prepare for His Public Ministry. Lent prepares us to better serve His Ministry that He established, which includes fasting, prayer, alms-giving, and doing good works. It prepares us to better live the Gospel He gave us by bringing us closer to Him...a 40 day revival, if you will.

Things speed up during Holy Week. Palm Sunday (Passion Sunday), The Chrism Mass (Bishops over the world consecrate Holy Oil for use in the coming year), Holy Thursday is the Mass of the Last Supper, Good Friday we remember the Crucifixion and is the only day of the year no Mass is celebrated anywhere on earth, Holy Saturday is the Vigil Mass of the Risen Lord. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday are known as the Holy Triduum. Then we have Easter Sunday, followed by 50 days of celebration until the coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.

In looking around, I found a writing by Pope Benedict that was given last year on this subject. If you have the time, it's worth the read... it begins less than half way down the page with "The Pope then went to the Paul VI Hall and delivered the following Catechesis in Italian, a translation follows:

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

We have arrived at the eve of the Easter Triduum. The next three days are commonly called "holy" because they make us relive the central event of our Redemption; in fact, they lead us back to the essential nucleus of the Christian faith: the Passion, death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. They are days we can consider as a single day: they constitute the heart and fulcrum of the entire liturgical year as well as of the Church's life. At the end of the journey through Lent, we too are preparing to enter the same atmosphere that Jesus lived then in Jerusalem.

Let us reawaken within us the vivid memory of the suffering Jesus bore for our sake and prepare ourselves to celebrate with joy next Sunday, "the true Passover which Christ's Blood has covered in glory, the Passover on which the Church celebrates the Feast that is the origin of all feasts", as the Preface for Easter Day says in the Ambrosian rite...."
http://www.ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/b16triduum08.htm

BornAgain123
March 6th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I hope I am not breaking any rules doing this, but this is from a MB from a Catholic about Lent. I am wondering just what is wrong with what they are doing here. I mean, I know that it is ceremony (needless?) that the RCC really gets into and adores, but is there really anything biblically wrong with it?

"I'm happy you're interested in getting a Catholic refresher on the observances of Lent, xxxxx. There's more that's not been covered yet.

The 40 days of Lent are observed to prepare us in the same way Jesus fasted and prayed in the desert to prepare for His Public Ministry. Lent prepares us to better serve His Ministry that He established, which includes fasting, prayer, alms-giving, and doing good works. It prepares us to better live the Gospel He gave us by bringing us closer to Him...a 40 day revival, if you will.

Things speed up during Holy Week. Palm Sunday (Passion Sunday), The Chrism Mass (Bishops over the world consecrate Holy Oil for use in the coming year), Holy Thursday is the Mass of the Last Supper, Good Friday we remember the Crucifixion and is the only day of the year no Mass is celebrated anywhere on earth, Holy Saturday is the Vigil Mass of the Risen Lord. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday are known as the Holy Triduum. Then we have Easter Sunday, followed by 50 days of celebration until the coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.

In looking around, I found a writing by Pope Benedict that was given last year on this subject. If you have the time, it's worth the read... it begins less than half way down the page with "The Pope then went to the Paul VI Hall and delivered the following Catechesis in Italian, a translation follows:

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

We have arrived at the eve of the Easter Triduum. The next three days are commonly called "holy" because they make us relive the central event of our Redemption; in fact, they lead us back to the essential nucleus of the Christian faith: the Passion, death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. They are days we can consider as a single day: they constitute the heart and fulcrum of the entire liturgical year as well as of the Church's life. At the end of the journey through Lent, we too are preparing to enter the same atmosphere that Jesus lived then in Jerusalem.

Let us reawaken within us the vivid memory of the suffering Jesus bore for our sake and prepare ourselves to celebrate with joy next Sunday, "the true Passover which Christ's Blood has covered in glory, the Passover on which the Church celebrates the Feast that is the origin of all feasts", as the Preface for Easter Day says in the Ambrosian rite...."
http://www.ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/b16triduum08.htm

This 40 days lent doesn't make any sense, why? I eluded to in another thread how the day before this starts, people are allowed to INDULGE in whatever their sin is, then only to give it up for ONLY 40 days.

Isn't that pretty much the OPPOSITE of what the bible teaches? When we REPENT of our sins, we accept Jesus Christ as our Savior, we are born anew, and our sins-past, present, and future-are FORGIVEN. Jesus died on The Cross at Calvary to bear all sin of mindkind FOREVER. And from here, we DON'T conform with the world, but RENEW our MINDS in Christ.

I mean when Lent is practiced, why isn't everyone told about Jesus bearing these sins for us? It's as if they're telling everyone ONLY mankind can bear these sins.

Chris
March 6th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Catholics urged to give up text messaging and iPods for Lent

I'm sure if the price is right the RCC will look the other way when it's members text or use their iPods. :hehee If there is money to be made the RCC will find a way. :doh :ohno :tsk

Buzzardhut
March 6th, 2009, 08:23 PM
http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v/12346195
Are ipods allowed in purgatory?