PDA

View Full Version : Receding Euphrates .....

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

hurryupJesus
June 10th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I remember when I was little oh maybe ten or so, I had heard this river would dry up so the "armies" could cross for a great battle." I used to go around saying to my friends..."when the euphrates river dries up then you'll know it's time".
I guess I have been interested in prophecy a lot longer than I thought!

ByFaithIFly
June 10th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I think I read once that the river could be dried up in day's by stopping the waters at the Anwar Dam.

In Christ
June 10th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I think I read once that the river could be dried up in day's by stopping the waters at the Anwar Dam.

I was just going to post on the same subject then noticed your post. However I think it is the Ataturk dam in Turkey which is the one that could stop all water flow on the Tigris/Euphrates. In the end times this river will dry up, and if it is not natural it will be manmade...

tfcrew
June 10th, 2010, 05:41 PM

Yeah...actually that is the Aswan Dam [in Egypt]
"Anwar" was Mr Sadat [Egyptian president] who was assassinated in years previous.

KRSlaton
June 11th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Indeed, this bit from the article caught my attention (they even have a link so you can see the verse):

The shrinking of the Euphrates, a river so crucial to the birth of civilization that the Book of Revelation prophesied its drying up as a sign of the end times, has decimated farms along its banks, left fishermen impoverished and depleted riverside towns, forcing farmers to flee to the cities looking for work. (emphasis mine)

It is true that the Tigris and Euphrates rivers subside seasonally, but it appears that the usual ebb and flow cycle has been interrupted. Enough so that it has become newsworthy. The article also notes that while droughts are not uncommon in Iraq, there have been more of them recently. Turkey has agreed to release more water from its reservoirs, which has restored the Euphrates to about 60% of its usual flow.

Wait and see, I guess.

As a P.S., the article also talked about Iraq's wheat and barley production being severely reduced reminded me of Rev. 6:6 "Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, "A quart of wheat for a day's wages, and three quarts of barley for a day's wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!"
Don't know if that verse applies directly to this situation, though.

BabeinChrist
June 11th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Yes, there is another thread about this from about a year ago adn it also has some pictures too. I read another article very recently where the old article was referred to by a journalist and was questioning it as well, there was some reference to end times, I think it was NYtimes.

ByFaithIFly
June 11th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Yeah...actually that is the Aswan Dam [in Egypt]
"Anwar" was Mr Sadat [Egyptian president] who was assassinated in years previous.
That's it!!Thanks Karl...:hat

The Shelter of His Wings
June 11th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Wow--this is a very exciting post! Thanks so much for this!

Perhaps what we should be looking at as far as how this relates to bible prophecy is not that the river dries up every year, but that now TURKEY IS IN CONTROL OF THE ATATURK DAM!

We know that because of the flotilla incident, Turkey alligned with the enemies of Israel, just in time for the Ex 38-39 alliance!

I still think it is significant that the water level is so low that ancient civilizations that have never been seen are popping up! WOW!

Here is an article that I found with some interesting info about the Euphrates drying up.

Praise the Lord, His word is true down to the LETTER! We are going HOME SOON!

Euphrates Drying Up

Fresh water has never been plentiful in the Middle East. Rainfall, what there is of it, only comes in the winter, and drains quickly through the semiarid land.

Now the region's accelerating population, expanding agriculture, and industrialization demand more fresh water. Nations like Israel and Jordan are swiftly sliding into that zone where they are using all the water resources available to them. They have only 15 or 20 years left before their agriculture, and ultimately their security, is threatened ("Water: The Middle East's Critical Resource", National Geographic, May 1993).

Some experts feel that water wars are imminent, and that water has replaced oil as the region's most contentious commodity. Scarcity is one element of the crisis. But in this patchwork of ethnic and religious rivalries, water seldom stands alone as an issue. It is entangled in the politics that keep people (even diverse Arab peoples, much less Arabs and Jews!) from trusting and helping each other.

Compared with the United States, which has a freshwater potential of 10,000 cubic meters a year for each citizen, Iraq has 5,500, Turkey has 4,000, and Syria has 2,800. These are the "haves" in the regions; the "have-nots": Egypt: 1,100; Israel: 460; Jordan: 260. But these are not firm figures, because upstream use of river water can dramatically alter the potential downstream.

Nowhere is this more evident than in the mammoth Southern Anatolia Project, with its huge Ataturk Dam on the Euphrates River in Turkey. Ataturk is the centerpiece of Turkey's plans for 22 dams to hold the waters of the Euphrates and the Tigris, which also originates in eastern Turkey, and to fill reservoirs that will eventually hold more than ten times the volume of water in the Sea of Galilee.

When nations share the same river, the upstream nation is under no legal obligation to provide water downstream. But the downstream nation can press its claim on the basis of historical use. This is what happened in 1989 when President Turgut Ozal of Turkey alarmed Syria and Iraq by holding back the flow of the Euphrates for a month to start filling the Ataturk. Full development of the Anatolia project could eventually reduce the Euphrates' flow by as much as 60%. This could severely jeopardize Syrian and Iraqi agriculture. A technical committee of the three nations -- Turkey, Syria, and Iraq -- has met intermittently to address such questions, but no real headway has been made.

In turn, less water in the Euphrates has meant lower power output at Syria's own large-scale Euphrates Dam at Tabqa. And, predictably, Syria's big dam has kindled fear of scarcity further downstream in Iraq, adding to longstanding tension between these two nations, apart from their respective tensions with Turkey.

Other water problems abound in the region. Israel -- in its National Water Carrier project -- has been tapping the Sea of Galilee to channel water as far south as the Negev, virtually drying up the southern Jordan River. This has caused substantial hard-ship for Jordanian farmers, and outraged their government, which calls the transfer of water from the Jordan basin a breach of international law. King Hussein of Jordan has said that water is such a volatile issue that "it could drive nations of the region to war."

And now Egypt, nearly totally dependent on water from the Nile River, is troubled by an unstable Ethiopia, source of 85% of the Nile's headwaters. No wonder that UN Secretary-General Bhoutros-Ghali, while he was still Egypt's foreign minister, said, "The next war in the Middle East will be fought over water, not politics."

Does all this have relevance to Bible prophecy of the Last Days? Or is it the merest coincidence that, in Revelation, the great event that immediately precedes the battle of Armageddon is the drying up of the Euphrates River?: "The sixth angel poured out his bowl on the great river Euphrates, and its water was dried up to prepare the way for the kings from the East... Then they gathered the kings together to the place that in Hebrew is called Armageddon" (Rev 16:12,16).

Historically, the Euphrates River was diverted and dried up by the invading Persians as part of the campaign that led to the fall of the Babylon of Nebuchadnezzar's successors in 536 BC (Dan 5). This led, in short order, to the repatriation (under the benevolent Cyrus of Persia) of Jewish refugees back to the Land of Israel, from whence they had been transported away by Nebuchadnezzar in 587 BC.

This history suggests that, in the Last Days, the "drying up of the Euphrates" will lead again to the fall of modern "Babylon" (cp Rev 16:12 with Rev 16:19), which answers geographically to Iraq (and Syria and Jordan?).

Rev 16:12 echoes its Old Testament counterpart (Isa 11:10-16): "In that day the Root of Jesse [Jesus, son of David and thus son of Jesse too] will stand as a banner for the peoples; the nations will rally to him, and his place of rest will be glorious. In that day the Lord will reach out his hand a second time to reclaim the remnant that is left of his people from Assyria [modern Syria and/or Iraq], from... Egypt, from Babylonia [Iraq]... He will raise a banner for the nations and gather the exiles of Israel; he will assemble the scattered people of Judah... They will swoop down on the slopes of Philistia to the west; together they will plunder the people to the east. They will lay hands on Edom and Moab, and the Ammonites will be subject to them. The LORD will dry up the gulf of the Egyptian sea; with a scorching wind he will sweep his hand over the Euphrates River. He will break it up into seven streams so that men can cross over in sandals. There will be a highway for the remnant of his people that is left from Assyria, as there was for Israel when they came up from Egypt."

This cross-reference, together with the history, suggests that the "kings of the east" who return through the dry Euphrates riverbed will be the remnant of Israel who had been previously carried captive by victorious Arabs (Zec 14:2). From their concentration camps in Egypt, but especially in Syria, Jordan, and Iraq, they will call upon the God of their fathers, and upon His Son. And from thence they will be delivered back to their own Land, as part of the process by which their Savior will reestablish the Kingdom of Israel in Jerusalem again. Why are they called "kings"? Because, along with Jewish and Gentile believers from others ages and other nations, they will then reign with Christ over the nations (cp Rev 1:6; 2:26,27; 5:9,10).

[Other prophecies which present the same basic picture, ie, of a believing Jewish remnant brought back out of the Arab nations in the Last Days: Isa 19:23-25; 27:12,13; 35; 43:1-7; 52:1-10; Jer 3:18; 16:14, 15; Joel 3:2-7; and Zec 10:9-11.]

It is possible that God, through Turkey's project at Ataturk, is presently arranging the "pieces of the puzzle" for the future -- when the drying Euphrates will accelerate the time of war in the Middle East. In the near future, the Arab nations may fight with one another, and with Israel, about water (and land, and "holy places" too, of course!). The outcome of the last such war will be the defeat of Israel. But, in some strange way as yet difficult to perceive, the continuous shortage of water for "Babylon" (Iraq/Syria/Jordan?) will contribute to the weakening of Israel's enemies, and the subsequent return of Israeli captives (prospective "kings from the east") to Jerusalem to participate in Christ's kingdom.

How exactly will this be brought about? Who will finally dry up the Euphrates? Turkey, or Christ? When will it be finally accomplished? Before Christ comes, or after? For the present, we can only guess at the answers. Perhaps there are other "puzzle pieces" lying right in front of us, which we simply haven't thought of in the right context yet.

[One final question: Is there any significance to the verbal similarity between the "east" -- in Greek, anatole -- of Rev 16:12, and the region of Anatolia in eastern Turkey?]

http://www.christadelphianbooks.org/agora/art_less/e23.html

The Shelter of His Wings
June 11th, 2010, 09:41 PM
The Euphrates River in Prophecy

The Euphrates River has a lot of significance in Bible Prophecy. Not only is it mentioned in Genesis as being one of the four rivers that proceeded out of the Garden of Eden, but it is also identified in the Abrahamic Covenant as the northeastern boundary of the Promised Land. (Genesis 15:18 In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates) In I Chronicles chapter 18, the writer conveys that King David conquered Damascus and extended the Israeli kingdom all the way to the Euphrates River. But this extensive border was short-lived, and Israel gradually lost its northern expanse. Thus, Israel has never realized its promised kingdom. In fact, later, the Disciples inquired of Jesus after his resurrection, and witnessing many infallible proofs that he was the long awaited King of Israel, if he would then restore the kingdom unto Israel. But the Lord answered by saying: (Acts 1:6-7 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.)

Thus the Kingdom of Israel, replete with its borders and the blessings of God is appointed for the day when the Lord Jesus Christ returns to destroy the gods of this world and all those who follow after them. That grand climactic appointment with destiny has ramifications for the angels and demons that are bound in the great river Euphrates.

Revelation chapter nine depicts the Euphrates River as being the location where four great fallen angels are bound. The Revelation account conveys that these angels will be loosed during the Great Tribulation, and cause the death of 1/3 of the earth’s Tribulation era population. Some eschatologists believe that the 200,000,000 horsemen are actually a demonic legion of evil spirits with four great overlords directing them. Still other prophecy scholars view this horde as the size of the invading armies of the Kings of the East who will launch an invasion upon Israel when the Euphrates is supernaturally dried to permit a vacuum for easy access into the western portion of the Middle East region. Many scholars have concluded that the “drying up of the waters of the Euphrates” is a literal drought-like event that permits the invading armies to advance against Israel.

* However FOJ takes the position that this “drying of the Euphrates” is connected to the release of the demonic hordes bound in the river, for they act as evil spirits that go forth to the kings of the whole world to gather the armies to Armageddon.

Revelation 9:14-16 Saying to the sixth angel which had the trumpet, Loose the four angels which are bound in the great river Euphrates. And the four angels were loosed, which were prepared for an hour, and a day, and a month, and a year, for to slay the third part of men. And the number of the army of the horsemen were two hundred thousand thousand: and I heard the number of them. (200,000,000)

The prophecy of Revelation 16:12-16 reveals that the demonic spirits locked away in the Euphrates River also will play a role in world events that will culminate in Armageddon. These angels remain bound in the Euphrates, restrained from carrying out their ancient subversive desires that were part of the Luciferic Rebellion. The ancient rebellion of Satan and 1/3 of the host (angels) of Heaven resulted in their being cast out of Heaven to the earth sometime after the week of the creation. Undoubtedly they came immediately to the Eden-Euphrates garden region to entice mankind into that great cosmic war. Satan’s initial war strategy included an attempt to corrupt all of mankind, first by corrupting the seed-line of mankind through the fall of Adam, and secondly by infiltrating the human race (nephilim) by utilizing the woman to mix with the seed of man. These ancient agents that left their natural abode, and co-mingled with human women were consigned into Tartarus, in chains of darkness.

The primeval Euphrates that emerged from the Garden of Eden probably drew its flowing waters (life) from the vast underground reservoir that welled up to the surface by the design of God, and from there flowed out to water and preserve the garden in a pristine and non-entrophy condition. Afterwards, with the fall of man, earth’s pristine geography also fell under the curse and the paradise that was the Euphrates Valley gradually began to become a mere image of their former glory. It is easy to perceive that the former glory of the presence of the Lord evaporated from the Euphrates region, and the emergence of the deceptive powers of Satan and his demons took greater and greater hold. As the Cainitic civilization developed on the Euphrates, it tended more and more towards decadence. Later, after the flood judgment, the Nimrodic civilization followed the same pattern, submitting to the same spirits of devils and before long the Babel system was installed and the worship of the hosts of heaven atop a mighty tower that offered a gateway into paradise was prevalent the word over. The tower of Babel stood as the ultimate blasphemous affront to the one true God that placed Adam and Eve in the original paradise of the Garden of Eden.

So, it seems highly logical that God almighty would confine the fallen angels and the infamous evil "sons of god” that cohabited with the daughters of man in the same place as where the human rebellion took place, and to exact judgement on the whole at an appointed time.

Revelation 16:12 And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared.

Revelation 16:13-16 And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet. For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty. Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame. And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.

The Euphrates River & the North Country

Today, the world has divided itself into four spheres of influence, as measured from Jerusalem; (Jerusalem may have been the creation spot, as God placed man in the Garden of Eden, which was eastward of the creation locale) 1.) Russia (Magog) to the north, 2.) China to the east, 3.) the Islamic Middle East and Africa to the south, and 4.) Europe to the West. America is a sphere of influence unto itself, being primarily a part of the West, but resented by all four because of its support for Israel. This is the precise lineup of nations predicted by Scripture for a horrible end-times war that will engulf the whole earth in the Armageddon scenario. The Scripture assigns a role to each of these four; Gog-Magog, the Kings of the East, the Kings of the South and the revived Roman Empire of Antichrist, who will likely control the Western Empire.

I cannot help but sense that the Euphrates River Valley is becoming America’s own Middle East crossroads. The Prophet Jeremiah depicted the scenario of the Euphrates River region becoming a geo-political quagmire that would explode into the era known in prophecy as the Day of the Lord. Ironically, today, America is placing all its eggs in the Iraq basket.

Jeremiah 46:10 For this is the day of the Lord God of hosts, a day of vengeance, (wrath) that he may avenge him of his adversaries: (enemies of the God of Israel) and the sword (Islam?) shall devour, and it shall be satiate and made drunk with their blood: for the Lord God of hosts hath a sacrifice (see Revelation 14:16-20) in the north country by the river Euphrates.

President Bush’s vision for freedom and liberty is a wonderful concept, but according to the Biblical Signs of the Times, his experiment in the Middle East in an attempt to thwart the seeds of terrorism by transplanting democracy, especially while coercing Israel to accept a 2-state solution to the Palestinian question is a formula for infringing upon the curse of God. America’s venture into Iraq will require America to take a fork in the road very soon! That fork is to extend the war on terror into either Syria or Iran!

Syria and Iran are both already preparing for war with the US. Syrian President Assad is looking to Russia for sophisticated weaponry to counter the US moves in the region. In my humble opinion, Bible prophecy indicates that the US or perhaps Israel will take the left turn from the Iraqi-Euphrates strategy. Presently, the strategy in the war on terror has enabled the US to completely encircle Iran, (Persia in Ezekiel 38) and to dissect the direct geographical link between Teheran and Damascus. Damascus is the control center for the terrorist operations in the West Bank and Gaza. (For the false covenant-peace of the AC to emerge, and for Israel to be enticed into its fateful destiny, Damascus will have to be dealt with)

The Damascus scenario of Isaiah 17 may quickly be coming upon us. The reason that I feel that the “left hook” from Iraq, will occur is because the prophet Ezekiel reveals that Iran will be spared a confrontation with the great Western power until the time for the great Northern Magog-led coalition against Israel. Russia is way too smart to insert itself against the power of the US at this present time, and will likely wait for the war on terror, and for the Rapture event to take a toll on the American structure.

These two dynamics will render the US as nothing more than a bit player in end-time events and likely lead to the political amalgamation of the US into the rising empire of the EU. Eventually, Russia will come down upon Israel after the emergence and revelation of the Antichrist, at a time when Israel has already entered into a “false peace-safety covenant” with the new Man of peace (Antichrist) that rises to the apex (Super President) of the Roman-EU sphere of power.

Jeremiah’s prophecy (Jeremiah 46:10) concerning the sacrifice that is building in the north country (Syria) by the river Euphrates has connections to the Day of the Lord, (tribulation) and the time of vengeance when the Lord will settle the ages old controversy (Jeremiah 25:31) that he has with the nations of this world that hate his people Israel.

http://focusonjerusalem.com/euphrate...eprophecy.html

The Shelter of His Wings
June 11th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Ataturk Dam

]Dam on the Euphrates River in southeastern Turkey, the centerpiece of the Southeastern Anatolia Project. The Ataturk Dam is the largest in a series of 22 dams and 19 hydroelectric stations built on the Euphrates and Tigris rivers in the 1980s and '90s in order to provide irrigation water and hydroelectricity to arid southeastern Turkey. Completed in 1990, the Ataturk Dam is one of the world's largest earth-and-rock fill dams, with an embankment 604 feet (184 m) high and 5,971 feet (1,820 m) long. Water impounded by the dam is fed to power-generating units at Sanliurfa that have a capacity of 2,400 megawatts. From there the water is gravity-fed to vast irrigation networks in the Harran Plain and elsewhere in the vicinity.

GAP OVERVIEW
(The Project that covers all southeastern region)

The Southeastern Anatolia Project (GAP) is a massive $32 billion public project to harness the power and potential of the upper reaches of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers and to irrigate the fertile plains that lie between them. When completed in 2010, 21 dams and 17 hydroelectric power plants will produce approximately 22% of Turkey's projected electricity requirements, equivalent to the entire national energy consumption in 1988. The Ataturk Dam, the sixth largest rock filled dam in the world, is the key structure for the development of the Lower Euphrates River region. Completed in 1993, it presently generates 8.9 billion kWh in electricity and is responsible for opening more than 180,000 acres of farmland to irrigation in the Harran plain.

The new irrigation systems created by the GAP will double Turkey's irrigable farmland in a region which has traditionally suffered from light rainfall. New irrigation has already brought about a corresponding boom in agricultural activity. From just one crop per year, in many areas five crops in a two-year cycle have become or will soon be possible. Crop yields of cotton, wheat, barley, lentils and other grains have reportedly tripled in the Harran plain as a result of irrigation from the Ataturk Dam. Land values have risen rapidly. Family income, number of personal vehicles and number of tractors in the region have nearly tripled in the past eight years. The range of new products under cultivation is also expanding. Farmers are now experimenting with new varieties of fruits, vegetables, and nuts.

But the Southeastern Anatolia Project encompasses more than dams and tunnels. The purpose of the GAP is to eliminate disparities in the levels of development existing between this region and other regions of Turkey by raising income levels and living standards of the people who live in Southeastern Turkey. The GAP is a fully integrated development project designed to create economic and social opportunities with the full support of the Turkish government.

While dams and irrigation tunnels are being constructed, the Government of Turkey promotes business development through industrial zones in each of the provincial capitals in the GAP region. It is training farmers in the most sustainable and economical land use practices; building airports and highways to ensure sufficient infrastructure for market development; and building schools and other institutions to raise the economic and social standards of the six million people who live in the region. The Government's stated goal is to increase the income level in the region five-fold and generate employment opportunities for 3.5 million people.

The GAP region consists of eight provinces in Southeastern Anatolia: Adiyaman, Batman, Diyarbakir, Gaziantep, Siirt, Sanliurfa, Mardin and Sirnak. Of these, Gaziantep, Sanliurfa and Diyarbakir are now particularly poised to welcome U.S. direct foreign investment and expanded trade opportunities. In addition, the nearby provinces of Adana and Mersin, both outstanding growing areas with access to major population centers and the Mediterranean Sea, merit strong consideration for U.S. firms contemplating an investment in the region. Kahramanmaras, like Gaziantep and Sanliurfa, has exploited new investment in the region to become an industrial power. Finally, Malatya, a major growing area with solid infrastructure and a dynamic municipal. government, is ready. to welcome new business activity

ATATURK DAM INTERNATIONAL SPORTS FESTIVAL

Ataturk Dam Lake is the symbol of an important geographical change which opens up new horizons for the rich cultural heritage of the region. Extending over an area of 817 square kilometers, the dam is called "sea" by local people. The dam has already started to affect people's daily life. "Ataturk Dam Water Sports Festival" which has a history of four years is an important activity expected to enhance the culture of the region in the context of sports.

The festival is organized jointly by the Turkish National Committee of Olympics, GAP Administration, General Directorate of State Hydraulic Works and the General Directorate of Youth and Sports. The objective of the festival is to promote tourism, publicize the versatile character of GAP, integrate socio-economic development with the advent of sports activities and to imbue the young people of the region with the spirit Olympics. The first of this annual festival was held on 6-7 October 1995. Then came the second (4-5 October 1996), third (3-4 October 1997), fourth (9-10 October 1998) and the fifth (24-25 September 1999) festival.

The last festival was participated by 396 athletes in the branches of sailing, rowing-canoeing, swimming and underwater sports. Among these athletes, there were 22 from Israel and Romania. Also 190 athletes were participated from Sanliurfa and Adiyaman.

The festival will take place each year in October or September.

EUPHRATES RIVERS

The Tigris and Euphrates river basin and its drainage network.

The two greatest rivers of Southwest Asia have their sources within 50 miles (80 kilometres) of each other in the mountains of eastern Turkey and travel in a southeasterly direction through northern Syria and Iraq to the head of the Persian Gulf. The lower portion of the region that they define, known as Mesopotamia (Greek: "Land Between the Rivers"), was one of the cradles of civilization. The total length of the Euphrates (Sumerian: Buranun; Akkadian: Purattu; biblical: Perath; Arabic: Furat; Turkish: Firat) is about 1,740 miles (2,800 kilometres). The total length of the Tigris (Sumerian: Idigna; Akkadian: Idiklat; biblical: Hiddekel; Arabic: Dijlah; Turkish: Dicle) is about 1,180 miles (1,890 kilometres). The rivers usually are discussed in three parts: their upper courses, restricted to the valleys and gorges of eastern Anatolia, at elevations diminishing from those of their sources at 6,000 to 10,000 feet (1,830 to 3,050 metres) above sea level; their middle courses, in the uplands of northern Syria and Iraq, at elevations varying from 1,200 feet at the foot of the so-called Kurdish Escarpment to 170 feet at the head of the delta; and the alluvial plain, which has been created jointly by the two rivers. At Al-Qurnah the rivers join to form the Shatt al-'Arab.

http://www.adiyamanli.org/ataturk_dam.htm