PDA

View Full Version : The Shroud of Turin: Is it Authentic?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

Enoch
September 22nd, 2007, 05:29 PM
Jacques*cough*DeMolay*cough*

LindaLee
September 22nd, 2007, 06:42 PM
I will point out something that perhaps you haven't thought of. This subject was discussed at another forum about 6 months ago. Hal Lindsey had a show that aired about the burial clothes of Jesus.

One thing one needs to remember is that people were wrapped like mummies and wrapped as the Egyptians buried their dead, and the Jews used this same custom...most people in the mid-east did during those times. They also used spices, herbs, oil, and perfumes for purification process, mummification and odor eliminators.

John 19:40 Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.

When you read the account of Jesus' entombment you will find that He was buried with Frankinsense and Myrrh, which these are very heavy oils. When they dry they are like a thick resin. The burial clothes, as they dried, would have become hardened because of the spices, herbs, oils, and perfumes used.

When Christ was resurrected the disciples found the burial clothes as is and the Napkin folded. That was the only thing limp and it was folded and was not laying with the rest of the burial clothes.

John 20:6 Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,
John 20:7 And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

In my humble opinion...the Shroud is a fake, just another deception satan uses to try to blind people to the Truth.

lisa
September 22nd, 2007, 06:44 PM
In my humble opinion...the Shroud is a fake, just another deception satan uses to try to blind people to the Truth.

:thumb I completely agree.

Just As I Am
September 22nd, 2007, 06:56 PM
Hi rose, I'm new here too. Aren't the people great? I don't know if the shroud is real or fake but a display did come to our area about 15 years ago. I was a lot younger then, but is was impressive/interesting. I was in high school, but I do remember feeling an overwhelming love for our Lord after the presentation. I also remember a quiet nudging doubt.....

dramama
September 22nd, 2007, 06:58 PM
I will point out something that perhaps you haven't thought of. This subject was discussed at another forum about 6 months ago. Hal Lindsey had a show that aired about the burial clothes of Jesus.

One thing one needs to remember is that people were wrapped like mummies and wrapped as the Egyptians buried their dead, and the Jews used this same custom...most people in the mid-east did during those times. They also used spices, herbs, oil, and perfumes for purification process, mummification and odor eliminators.

When you read the account of Jesus' entombment you will find that He was buried with Frankinsense and Myrrh, which these are very heavy oils. When they dry they are like a thick resin. The burial clothes, as they dried, would have become hardened because of the spices, herbs, oils, and perfumes used.

When Christ was resurrected the disciples found the burial clothes as is and the Napkin folded. That was the only thing limp and it was folded and was not laying with the rest of the burial clothes.

:thumb Agree 1000%!!

1angel4u
September 23rd, 2007, 12:58 AM
:wave Hi Rose, and welcome to RR :wave

As are some others here, I'm skeptical of the shroud too. I suppose I will believe it's a fake, unless and until Jesus tells me otherwise!!!

NewWorldOrder
September 23rd, 2007, 02:06 PM
I personally think the shroud is a fake. Jesus wants us to believe He died and was resurrected by faith, not by some tangible proof. This "shroud", in my opinion, is a form of distraction meant to confuse. God is not a god of confusion, but of truth. How many people have we seen go to these signs and worship them in some form. Whenever you hear of these miracles of apparitions of the Virgin Mary, or of Jesus' image crying or whatever, people will flock there and begin praying to those images, and worshiping them. We are NOT to put our faith into these things. It is all a deception. The shroud is probably the most dangerous deception and distraction of all, because it purports to have actually been on his body, and to actually have his blood on in it. Therefore, people will pray homage to it as though it is actually Jesus, when it's not. There is no credible proof of the shrouds authenticity. I admit, it's intriguing, but that's all. Anything that distracts us from God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, in this way is dangerous.

The Learner
September 23rd, 2007, 02:51 PM
I am undecided on the Shroud, it doesn't strengthen or weaken my faith one way or the other. Even if the Shroud was determined to 100% be an image of Jesus, that wouldn't convert a non-believer.

Non-believers are converted only once they come to the realization that they are lost sinners. The existence of Jesus as a man who existed 2,000 years ago is not an issue even for the most ardent atheist. Denying that Jesus was a historical man is paramount to claiming that Julius Ceasar was a myth, or that Alexander the Great did not exist. The issue is not whether or not Jesus existed, the issue is whether or not Jesus is the Son of God. The Shroud would not prove the latter one bit.

I like this Shroud site, it has some pretty cool photos and alleged history of the Shroud:

http://www.shroudstory.com

cabbie
September 23rd, 2007, 05:54 PM
I think its real 1st because its a singularity, if there were hundreds of shrouds with pictures on them it would give credence to those who doubt its autheniciy.Second the fact that it was in a fire that melted the silver casket it was in but didnt torch the linen except at the eddges shows it was protected.

LaMontre
September 23rd, 2007, 06:02 PM
I was watching a movie tonight and there were pro and cons about the Shroud Of Turin and I am so confused about whether this is true or false.

I am of the opinion that its the real thing. I think it contains too many unexplained attributes to be a fake or a forgery, but I am also aware that this is a very controversial opinion. As a Christian though, I am into those. :)