PDA

View Full Version : The Biblical Argument for the Rebuilding of Babylon *Merged*

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

Doug Drake
June 27th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Just something to remember when we consider these things about Babylon; I'm just using my feeble memory here and not checking, but I believe in Jeremiah we have an almost identical quote as we find in Revelation about the destruction of Babylon. Babylon is referred to as a city which had ships coming from all parts of the world to trade with them. That was in the time of Jeremiah, and then again in the forward looking prophecy of John.
The two major rivers were the big ports of the day which allowed ships of that time to come from far away countries. They could come from Africa or the far East and at some point enter the Euphrates river mouth and end up docking alongside of Babylon in the days of Jeremiah.
Again, I think a big stumbling point for many of us, (I'm including myself here) who look for the Lord's return is we think it must happen like now so everything must be ready to go, and there is nothing left to do but for the church to leave.
I've been seeing many reasons of late to believe there is much to have happen yet and the rebuilding of Babylon, I think is one of those things.
I'm just as anxious as everyone else to get out of here, but I think there is more watching to be done yet.

dleader
July 4th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Hey Doug thank you for your thoughts here. The passage you might be looking for in Jeremiah might be in chapter 50 or 51. These are lots of prophecies specific to Babylon. There are also a lot in Isaiah 13 and 14. Many of these have not been fulfilled yet. Babylon was never violently overthrown as these prophecies describe. Hope this helps and welcome to RR.

Rapturetime
July 16th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I keep wondering what city is being described in Revelation when it talks about the city of Babylon being destroyed and all the world's merchants morn over this. The city must be on the ocean as the Bible talks about people on ships being able to see it being destroyed (Revelation 18:1-24 ). This city has been an enigma to me as I knew it couldn't be the original Babylon. However, I wasn't getting it that the Bible mentions a Mystery Babylon (Revelation 17:5) and I believe this may be the key to understanding what city is described in Revelation 18.

I have thought for awhile now that the city of Dubai has some kind of significance with latter day events since it went from nothing to this beautiful opulent city in a matter of no time at all. I don't believe in coincidences but everything having a purpose. Could Satan be behind getting this city built so rapidly for his man to rule from? If not then what city? I don't see how the tribulation could be close if there is not a city that already exists like the one described in Revelation. Anyway The Sunday Times has already touted Dubai to be the New Babylon so it is official.

Babylon (http://www.timeoutdubai.com/restaurants/reviews/1923-hot-pick-almaz-by-momo)

For more information just Google Dubai and Babylon

TBRSoon
July 16th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Sounds right to me! They have built a new skyscraper they are calling the "New Tower of Babel"!

waiting1
July 16th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Only one city really sits on 7 hills.
ROME!
And it deals in trade of every extravagent exotic materials/goods there is.
It is a seaport and it faces the western Mediterranean, and the AC will get the world leaders to nuke it. How else could the whole city be destroyed in an hour?

TBRSoon
July 16th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Only one city really sits on 7 hills.
ROME!
And it deals in trade of every extravagent exotic materials/goods there is.
It is a seaport and it faces the western Mediterranean, and the AC will get the world leaders to nuke it. How else could the whole city be destroyed in an hour?

That makes a lot of sense too.

Buzzardhut
July 16th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Don't forget Babylon is a mystery and is a spiritual phenomenon as well as a physical location and commercial market, when it does rise up during the tribulation there will be no doubts about what it is.

JFrancisco
July 16th, 2011, 10:56 PM
There is babylon, which is in iraq. There is mystery babylon which is a system.

The seven mountains are seven kingdoms. Please read in context. Nothing to do with Rome.

Babylon is Babylon. Jerusalem is Jerusalem. No room for speculation.

Dubai is not babylon.
New york is not babylon.
Rome is not babylon.

Babylon is babylon.

Rapturetime
July 17th, 2011, 08:11 AM
There is babylon, which is in iraq. There is mystery babylon which is a system.

The seven mountains are seven kingdoms. Please read in context. Nothing to do with Rome.

Babylon is Babylon. Jerusalem is Jerusalem. No room for speculation.

Dubai is not babylon.
New york is not babylon.
Rome is not babylon.

Babylon is babylon.

Believe me I interpret everything that is meant to be literal in the bible literally. I just can't seem to reconcile Revelation 17 "For in one hour so great riches is come to nought. And every shipmaster, and all the company in ships,And sailors, and as many as trade by sea,Stood afar off, 18 And cried When they saw the smoke of her burning, saying,What city is like unto this great city!" with the actual Babylon in Iraq. The city is landlocked so I don't see how merchants by the sea stand afar off and see her destruction. Perhaps the city is destroyed by a nuke and the cloud of smoke can be seen out in the Gulf? Another concern I have is that Babylon is such a longs way off from being an opulent city that everyone wants to trade with that it would seem that the trib cannot be as close as we think. I know God can work a miracle and change this city over night but He hasn't seemed to fulfill other prophecies in his manner so it just seems strange that He would do so with Babylon. Anyway, we might not know the answer to this question this side of the trib. I just haven't had anyone satisfy my confusion on this subject and so thought I would bring it up again.

JFrancisco
July 17th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Believe me I interpret everything that is meant to be literal in the bible literally. I just can't seem to reconcile Revelation 17 "For in one hour so great riches is come to nought. And every shipmaster, and all the company in ships,And sailors, and as many as trade by sea,Stood afar off, 18 And cried When they saw the smoke of her burning, saying,What city is like unto this great city!" with the actual Babylon in Iraq. The city is landlocked so I don't see how merchants by the sea stand afar off and see her destruction. Perhaps the city is destroyed by a nuke and the cloud of smoke can be seen out in the Gulf? Another concern I have is that Babylon is such a longs way off from being an opulent city that everyone wants to trade with that it would seem that the trib cannot be as close as we think. I know God can work a miracle and change this city over night but He hasn't seemed to fulfill other prophecies in his manner so it just seems strange that He would do so with Babylon. Anyway, we might not know the answer to this question this side of the trib. I just haven't had anyone satisfy my confusion on this subject and so thought I would bring it up again.

1. We don't know how the topography of the area will change as the judgements of God are poured out.

2. Babylon seems the right distance from the persian gulf for the "far off ships" to witness what will be an awesome destruction.

3. We have no doubt as to the importance of Jerusalem or where Jerusalem really is. We must remember Babylon is the spiritual opposite. All prophecies concerning literal babylon have not been fulfilled. We know the ac marches on Jerusalem from Babylon. Babylon was the first of the prophecied kingdoms of gentiles during time of gentiles. Nimrod the first type of antichrist ruled from babylon and created the first one world order. etc etc.

The 7 hill theory that points to rome has many problems:

The seven mountains are kingdoms. Mystery babylon doesn't sit on seven literal hills but on seven kingdoms. Revelation 17 is speaking of mystery babylon as a system or order.

Revelation 18 then switches to describe the physical literal babylon.

17 is the order by which 18 is ruled.