PDA

View Full Version : The Dugger's?

Pages : [1] 2

Macklynn
April 13th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I'm probably just cynical or judgemental, but are they for real? ...or some kind of cult?

Freeper
April 13th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Yes, they are for real. They are a Christian family and good people. Their Christian belief is very conservative and a bit over conservative in some areas if you ask me, but to each their own. I do not agree with their belief on birth control amongst other small petty issues. But this family are Christians and apparently live their life serving God.

KaiafromBergen
April 13th, 2009, 07:19 PM
They made their choice on having as many children as the Lord would give them long before the TV show.

There are also many other families who have as many or more children as the Duggar's have, also based on the Biblical promises that children are a Blessing from the Lord.

They supported their children before the TV show, were/are Faithful to the Lord (yes, I know some of their associations have been/are in question regarding Gothard), but I think (speculation) that possibly the TV show is a Blessing that the Lord gave to them for being faithful. Only time will tell if this is so.

In my opinion, it is refreshing to see the Duggars, the Roloffs, and the Goselings - warts and all, proclaiming that their Saviour is Jesus Christ!

Contrast their "reality tv" with the "Girls Next Door," the "Osborns" the "Hilton Disaster" etc . . . I could go on ad nauseum!

Why shouldn't Christians take money for living their lives? People immediately think the worst . . . but if their testimony influences one person to accept Jesus as Savior . . . it is worth more than all the money in the world!

SummerSailing81
April 13th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Did you all hear there's going to be a new Duggar baby in October? Jim Bob and Michelle are going to be grandparents! They announced on the Today Show that Josh and Anna are expecting their first baby. Congratulations to the Duggar Family!

RuntheRace
April 13th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Yes, they are for real. They are a Christian family and good people. Their Christian belief is very conservative and a bit over conservative in some areas if you ask me, but to each their own. I do not agree with their belief on birth control amongst other small petty issues. But this family are Christians and apparently live their life serving God.

That kind of sums it up for me. I don't agree with all their belief system but have absolutely no question that they love God and He is the center of their family.

And I agree with the previous poster that it is refreshing to see families that value their faith and have God as the center of their family- such as the Duggars and the Roloffs and the Goselings-on reality TV as a balance to some of the others

4evrHis
April 13th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I like the family. Their family is very interesting & all of the kids seem so sweet & well behaved. Parents who televise their family seem to get a bad rap these days :idunno

InHisGrip
April 13th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks Sing for the most recent background on Bill Gothard. When I was first saved and young, there was a couple in our church that tried to get my husband and I to go to one of their weekend retreats. I started investigating them then, just from the brochures and things they had available at the time. From the outside it all looked very legalistic to me. My husband, who had been a Christian much longer than I, was not interested in attending so we never went.

His Bride
April 14th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I didn't realize that they adhered to Gothard, Sing. That was news to me. We knew a family years ago that were also part of the Gothard philosophy. They were a bit different than we were and wanted us to join. We bowed out.

The Duggars impress me in the way they live their lives and rear their children. Some aspects are a bit different than what I am accustomed to, but I will say that they are so refreshing in this day of great cultural and spiritual darkness.

Mommytoa3rdgradeboy
April 14th, 2009, 09:50 AM
That kind of sums it up for me. I don't agree with all their belief system but have absolutely no question that they love God and He is the center of their family.

And I agree with the previous poster that it is refreshing to see families that value their faith and have God as the center of their family- such as the Duggars and the Roloffs and the Goselings-on reality TV as a balance to some of the others

Same here--and their kids are so cute. They seem so well-behaved and they seem to have such a good grounding. I like their show but I don't watch it very often. I'd rather have that on than most any other show.

Personally, I couldn't feel like I would ever be capable of having that many children, either physically, mentally, or financially. I also wouldn't like my older children taking care of the younger ones, but maybe there's nothing wrong w/ that; it's just a 'foreign' concept for me to comprehend. I like to have indicidual time with my child. There is no way that Michelle could have that every day. It is impossible for her to spend one hour a day with each of her children. There's just not that much time to go around. Again, maybe that's ok, but it's just not for me. But, ya know, her husband has provided for his family and is a good father (at least by appearances) to his children.

Joyb0218
April 14th, 2009, 09:53 AM
*edit*.

I personally LOVE the Duggars. I think they seem like a nice, God-fearing family. I could care less how many children they have, I'm a person who is always happy to congratulate, not belittle (not that anyone is doing that here).

Children ARE blessings, no matter how many! :thumb

And if an older sister is comforting her little brother and it's not the mother, that's okay too. Maybe he wanted her? My daughters comfort the baby of our family when needed also! :hug