PDA

View Full Version : Emergent Rob Bell *Merged*

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90

rich
June 28th, 2009, 08:59 AM
At my church we have a thing called SOCM that's meant to train us to be better at evangelism and at serving other Christians, we were all asked to read Rob Bell's "Velvet Elvis" and then discuss it together so we'll be better at evangelising to people who've been deceived by him. Quite a few of the guys went through it with a highlighter and highlighted every bit of heresy, some of them ended up highlighting over 50% of the words in it.

candlelight
June 28th, 2009, 09:47 AM
At my church we have a thing called SOCM that's meant to train us to be better at evangelism and at serving other Christians, we were all asked to read Rob Bell's "Velvet Elvis" and then discuss it together so we'll be better at evangelising to people who've been deceived by him. Quite a few of the guys went through it with a highlighter and highlighted every bit of heresy, some of them ended up highlighting over 50% of the words in it.

Absolutely astounding isn't it? It is beyond my comprehension how they can either change God's Word to meet their own World views. or completely miss what it says? Maybe this is part of the delusion for those who choose their own ways and wisdom, instead of God's, which is complete in itself. Guess they just add to tickle ears and gain more profit.

His Bride
June 28th, 2009, 09:50 AM

And that begs the question, where are the pastor's who are allowing/promoting this garbage? Why do we keep hearing
these stories?

rich
June 28th, 2009, 09:52 AM
It's the fulfillment of
2 Timothy 4:3
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions,

candlelight
June 28th, 2009, 12:02 PM
And that begs the question, where are the pastor's who are allowing/promoting this garbage? Why do we keep hearing
these stories?

What is strange HisBride is I am learning that many Pastor's are actually Bible illiterate. I know my Ex-Pastor was. Which leads me to the conclusion many just pick and choose what they like out of the Word to do their preaching around it. They actually do not know the Word, WOW!:shocked Just like when Larry King asked Joel Osteen about the Book of Revelation, he said "Well Larry I really do not know much about that to comment on it, and I like to keep my sermon's positive". He did not have a clue on the Book of Revelation. How can you preach to that many people and not take seriously the end result if we do not except Jesus as Savior? Joel Osteen and other's like him in my opinion are the Thieves. How are so many going to warn about these things if they do not know God's Word?

His Bride
June 28th, 2009, 02:42 PM
What is strange HisBride is I am learning that many Pastor's are actually Bible illiterate. I know my Ex-Pastor was. Which leads me to the conclusion many just pick and choose what they like out of the Word to do their preaching around it. They actually do not know the Word, WOW!:shocked Just like when Larry King asked Joel Osteen about the Book of Revelation, he said "Well Larry I really do not know much about that to comment on it, and I like to keep my sermon's positive". He did not have a clue on the Book of Revelation. How can you preach to that many people and not take seriously the end result if we do not except Jesus as Savior? Joel Osteen and other's like him in my opinion are the Thieves. How are so many going to warn about these things if they do not know God's Word?

Yes, we had a pastor who believed that we should all be self learners with regards the Bible, that it wasn't his job to teach it to the flock. Needless to say, we left!

jesus freak
June 29th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Okay I've been on this forum for a while and I've seen all the emergent talk...but I am still confused. I recently found out my child's youth pastor is a fan of Rob Bell, the book and some video series. I need help understanding what he teaches and what this is all about.

All information is greatly appreciated...thanks

rich
June 29th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I could write something about it, but I think it's easier to point you to a review of the book, this is a very detailed review that highlights all the heresy it contains: http://www.sohmer.net/Velvet_Elvis.pdf

For a small summary (most of the review is full of quotes, this is just a summary bit) sample:

Throughout Velvet Elvis, Rob articulates a “gospel” much different that the Biblical one. Rob teaches the
following:
Salvation is for everyone, regardless of their religion, with no repentance or even belief required!
Jesus' death covers everybody, even if they're not Christians.
The gospel is good news, especially for non-Christians.
Salvation is equivalent to living the right way, rather than being right with God.

Regarding a young woman who was studying witchcraft, Rob said:
“I hoped that our community would continue to be a safe place for her to question and study
and discuss and hear that God loves her exactly as she is” (pp. 89-90).

The Bible does not teach that God loves her “exactly as she is.” She’s studying Witchcraft. She presently is
an enemy of God through her wicked works (Colossians 1:21). The Bible is very clear about what this
woman’s fate will be: “Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication,
uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions,
heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I
have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.”

jesus freak
June 29th, 2009, 10:33 AM
thanks for your reply I will read the link

candlelight
June 29th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Okay I've been on this forum for a while and I've seen all the emergent talk...but I am still confused. I recently found out my child's youth pastor is a fan of Rob Bell, the book and some video series. I need help understanding what he teaches and what this is all about.

All information is greatly appreciated...thanks

Please educate yourself, I know I had to. It is our responsibility not only for ourselves but for the welfare of our children and future generations. Please listen to these teaching by Pastor Chris Quintana (hope I spelled it right) from Clavary Chapel Cypress. It is excellent and there is a wealth of information. He did his homework and I have passed these teachings on to many. Please listen to all, they are BLESSED!

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen to "The Church of the Last Days":

http://www.calvarychapelcypress.net/current.html