PDA

View Full Version : Tabletop Gamers

Pages : [1] 2

Antiquity
July 24th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Anyone here into the table top wargames. I personally like to play Twilight Imperium and Advanced Civilization. I have a lot more of the Euro style games as well but don't always get a chance to play them.

Wally
July 24th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I've been playing many historical wargames like Harpoon, Command Decision, Napoleon's Battles, Sea Power II, Fire n' Fury. I also play modified Warhammer 40k, HeroScape, and BattleMech. Most of these need minatures to play. I have some of the older games with counters like Arab-Israeli Wars, Victory in the Pacific and a couple #Fleet games. All are fun and insightful to both history and tatical thinking. This weekend is Historicon July 26-29 in Lancaster PA. All kinds of minature gaming going on but HISTORICAL, for the most part.

There is a website with more details.

The gaming is a good way to get to know people, demonstrate character - don't cry when an RPG takes out your Chinook-, and spend time with my kids one on one. I think my older daughter just goes along so she can go to Shady Maple Smorgasbord afterwards. My son loves to game, and my other daughter just likes being with.

Antiquity
July 24th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Also a week later in Lancaster is the World Board Gaming Championship. A lot going on up there. This year, however, I am going to Gencon in mid-august up in Indiana.

MajinFro
July 29th, 2007, 05:24 PM
haha. Risk is as far as i ever got into this genre of gaming... sounds like fun but I am too much of a electronic gamer.

WarGamer
August 1st, 2007, 08:31 PM
I'm a big 40k player. Play alot of Warhammer Fantasy and Necromunda as well.

Wally
August 7th, 2007, 07:19 AM
We do 40k Catachans, Imperials, and Nids. We modify to allow opportunity fire, keep it interesting. We stay in the sci-fi genre. I'm waiting for their WW2 series to appear - rumor so far.

We do LOTR but eliminate most tof the wizard stuff. Mainly Rohan/Uruk-Hai. My son still doesn't like that his horses run off while my wargs continue to attack.

My favorite is 1/2400 Naval - US - Japan Pacific theater. I'd say I have 200-250 ships.

Architectlink
January 7th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Is there a Christian gamer group, in Orlando possibly?

Heroscapers, especially

Architectlink
January 7th, 2008, 10:00 PM
How does one form a wargamers club

Ace Attorney
January 9th, 2008, 05:15 AM
I play Warhammer Fantasy (newbie at that) and The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game (been in it for quite a while now, and have won two tournaments). I hope to get into Warhammer 40K at some point this year.

For WF, I play with a Dwarf army. For LotR, I generally play as Rohan, but also have armies of Gondor, Isengard and Easterlings.

We do LOTR but eliminate most tof the wizard stuff. Mainly Rohan/Uruk-Hai. My son still doesn't like that his horses run off while my wargs continue to attack.

Tell your son to use Gamling with the Royal Standard of Rohan, in combination with Rohan Outriders (repaint Riders of Rohan if you don't want to buy the proper miniatures). Six Outriders should do the trick. Having used this in two tournaments to date, I can safely tell you it's a lethal combination.

Buzzardhut
January 9th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I tried designing a Pilgrim's Progress board game a few years back but got too busy with other things.