PDA

View Full Version : The DaVinci Code

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

HeLivesinMe
July 30th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I'm not sure what Jesus' marriage (or lack thereof) is supposed to mean as far as Christianity goes.

What I mean is this...would it blow my faith apart if I were to learn that Jesus married? No...it might even have made sense given the time period and the social expectations of males His age. To discover He was married would not change who He is.

But the fact of the matter is that there is simply no record of Him having married. One of the apostles would surely have said "Mary Magdalene, wife of Jesus" if that had truly been the case. That they never mentioned it (nor have any other accounts) leads me to believe that Jesus was not married. The Bible doesn't say he was, so I will believe the Bible.

At the same time, I wonder what the "mainstream" obsession over this issue is really about. Is it that they think He would be less divine if He married? Is it that He would be more "human"? I just don't get it.

Pagemistress, I agree with you. It wouldn't do anything to my faith if I'd found out Jesus had been married and even had children. God ordained marriage and it wouldn't have been wrong. However, that wasn't the purpose for His life here. He had a much higher calling as the Savior and Redeemer of the world. He knew exactly what His life was all about. It even says in the Bible that He didn't have the kind of looks where someone would desire Him. That says to me He was humble (as we know He was), and took His work here very seriously. If He'd been married, then those last hours before the crucifixion might not have been spent in the Garden of Gesthemene, they might have been spent with His wife and children, saying good-bye.....I don't know...just speculating. But because of who He was and His purpose here, He spent that time in prayer, with His father, and preparing for His final earthly destiny.

Biblenuggetlady
July 30th, 2007, 11:55 PM
http://www.gracethrufaith.com/selah/tough-questions-answered/did-jesus-have-a-wife

Why it matters and why this is increasingly being promoted:

Excerpt:

Here's where the application of some simple logic can work wonders. Would the Bible, with its emphasis on the sanctity of marriage and the importance of family, have omitted something as significant as the marriage of Jesus in capturing the great events of His life?

And would the Jewish betrothal customs (so predictive of the Second Coming where our Lord takes the Church as His Bride) which required a public commitment ceremony followed by a year of very limited and closely chaperoned visitation have been ignored and in fact violated by the One Who ordained them?

And how about this? Jesus came to be our High Priest. The Law forbids a priest from marrying a woman who isn't a virgin unless she's the widow of another priest. The High Priest couldn't marry a non-priestly widow and was specifically forbidden from marrying a prostitute. (Lev 21:13-14) Jesus said He didn't come to abolish the Law but to fulfill it.

In Genesis 6 the Bible says that one reason for the Great Flood was to judge those from the angelic host who took on the appearance of men, married human women and produced children contaminating the human gene pool. Would a Righteous and Just God now take this privilege for Himself while holding those others in chains for judgment? Think about it!

But most importantly would God, who became man to offer His sinless life as a ransom for the sins of humanity, have permitted His mission to be destroyed and mankind to be lost by falling into sin Himself? The reason for the restrictive betrothal customs was to keep the couple from yielding to temptation. Remember any sex outside of marriage was punishable by death in those days, and the Lord himself cautioned us that even lustful thoughts render us guilty (Matt 5:28). His own Law required the shedding of innocent blood as the only acceptable sacrifice for sin. In order to be our Savior, He had to remain sinless in thought, word, and deed.

Proponents of this theory are trying to portray Jesus as a mere man. Could a man, in love with a beautiful woman, prevent even one lustful thought from entering his mind? And if his betrothed was a former prostitute could he prevent anger and jealousy from ever raising their ugly heads as well? It doesn't make sense!

Clearly this notion of a relationship between Mary and Jesus violates both the letter and the spirit of the Law. It's the work of unbelievers who are themselves ignorant of Biblical truth and rely on the ignorance of others for their acceptance.

And behind the scene just beyond the limit of our vision stands the Great Deceiver preying on those ignorant souls, using them to distort and pervert the Word of God in his frantic attempt to render humanity hopeless and helpless, portraying our only Savior as having disqualified Himself to redeem us.

These attempts will become more and more persuasive as the time draws closer. Let this serve as a warning, that we must know what we believe and why to withstand these attacks on our faith.

Faline
July 31st, 2007, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure what Jesus' marriage (or lack thereof) is supposed to mean as far as Christianity goes.

What I mean is this...would it blow my faith apart if I were to learn that Jesus married? No...it might even have made sense given the time period and the social expectations of males His age. To discover He was married would not change who He is.

But the fact of the matter is that there is simply no record of Him having married. One of the apostles would surely have said "Mary Magdalene, wife of Jesus" if that had truly been the case. That they never mentioned it (nor have any other accounts) leads me to believe that Jesus was not married. The Bible doesn't say he was, so I will believe the Bible.

At the same time, I wonder what the "mainstream" obsession over this issue is really about. Is it that they think He would be less divine if He married? Is it that He would be more "human"? I just don't get it.

Yes, it matters. We are the bride of Christ.

zhan
August 6th, 2007, 07:10 AM
It matters because they want to chip away at the deity of Jesus. If they can make Him just a prophet instead of fully God and fully Man, then everything becomes guidelines (not to mention it would make Him out to be a liar since He said He and the Father are one). Also, if they can disprove a chunk of the Bible, then the rest falls apart immediately. Either God kept his Word to us, or He didn't. And if He didn't, then everything He's had us do for the past two thousand odd years has been in vain.

I for one don't think He lied to us, and I don't think His work was in vain at all. He *is* the only begotten Son of God, and He *did* DIE on the cross as a sacrifice for our sins, and He *did* rise again on the 3rd day, and He *is* now at the right hand of God the Father, *very* much alive. Our God is a God of the living, and He is *very* much alive. And, He *is* coming back as He said He would :nod

CHRISTinCheryl
August 6th, 2007, 08:17 AM
This is just the enemy at it again... He was able to propagate a big deception before with the "Davinci Code" book and movie .:doh .It worked for him before so hes using it again to cause confusion, chaos and doubts....he has no new tricks he keeps using what works for him...

P.s. I was kinda saddened by "OPIE" working on the Davinci Code movie...I hope Andy Griffith, a christian warned him about it..:idunno

Chuck Taylorz
October 12th, 2007, 06:20 AM
VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Knights Templar, the medieval Christian military order accused of heresy and sexual misconduct, will soon be partly rehabilitated when the Vatican publishes trial documents it had closely guarded for 700 years.
By Philip Pullella Thu Oct 11, 8:21 PM ET

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071012/wl_nm/vatican_templars_dc;_ylt=At8RfTVZBj.BODRZ9HfWF4ln. 3QA

StarryEyedLad
October 12th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Whoa! Very interesting and timely development.
:shocked:woah:shifty:twitch:candle

HisAlways
October 12th, 2007, 10:26 AM
INDEED !! This could be huge.:shocked

Southern Lady
October 12th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Okay, I know some of the history behind the Templars, but what does this have to do with anything now? Could you explain what this means. :scratch

Hootmon
October 12th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Okay, I know some of the history behind the Templars, but what does this have to do with anything now? Could you explain what this means. :scratchDaVinci Code stuff?

The timing is a bit curious.