PDA

View Full Version : Who sits at the left hand of God?

Pages : [1] 2

MsSophie
June 18th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Who sits at the left hand of God? Supporting scripture?

savedatlast
June 18th, 2009, 09:08 PM
To my knowledge the Bible does not tell us who is at God's Left hand

MsSophie
June 18th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I agree. The scriptures don't tell us who sits at the left hand of God. We know that Jesus now sits at the right hand of God. For some reason I was reading Mark 10:40 and happened to think of the following scriptures telling us of Jesus being at the right hand of God and for the first time I happened to think "well, who is at the left hand". I think I had always thought that would be the Holy Spirit but when I started doing research I found out there is not a consensus. Some commentaries say "the right hand of God" is not meant in a directional sense.

In Ephesians 1:20 and Romans 8:34 Paul tells us of Jesus being at the right hand of God.

BelovedChild
June 18th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Possibly the space is for the Holy Spirit when He returns to Heaven

KingdomSeeker
June 18th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I concur with what others have said, Scripture doesn't specify. Actually, I always thought that Jesus being at the "right hand of the Father" was a metaphorical way to emphasize Christ's Lordship, it was a way to put it into human understanding.
I mean, does God actually have a literal right and a left hand? :thinking

MsSophie
June 18th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I concur with what others have said, Scripture doesn't specify. Actually, I always thought that Jesus being at the "right hand of the Father" was a metaphorical way to emphasize Christ's Lordship, it was a way to put it into human understanding.
I mean, does God actually have a literal right and a left hand? :thinking

I agree. Does God actually have a literal right and left hand? Some commentaries suggest that the expression was used simply to imply the place of honor (seated on the right hand). The place of honor is always considered on the right side.

HeIsEnough
June 19th, 2009, 06:16 AM
it was a way to put it into human understanding.

:nod

Yekcid
June 19th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Who sits at the left hand of God? Supporting scripture?

The right hand is "symbolic" (if that's an appropriate term) for might and power. So in the Old Testament you see the Lord's "right hand" leading Israel through the wilderness (Is 63) or the Lord's right hand delivering people or the Lord's right hand making war (Ex 15:12-16, Ps 89:13, Ps 118:16). It's the rough equivalent of the "Arm of the Lord". The Arm of the Lord is also a way about speaking of His power and might.

In the bible, I don't recall it ever even mentioning a left hand of the Lord. The simple reason is that it doesn't mean anything to them.

MsSophie
June 19th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Thank you everyone for the replies. Jesus' words from Mark 10:40 started me thinking of who is sitting at the left hand of God. Even though this particular scripture is not referring to the same thing it indicates Jesus does think of the left and right.

Mark 10:40

"But to sit on my right hand and on my left hand is not mine to give; but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared." Does this refer to the sheep and goats at judgement?

Hootmon
June 19th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Thank you everyone for the replies. Jesus' words from Mark 10:40 started me thinking of who is sitting at the left hand of God. Even though this particular scripture is not referring to the same thing it indicates Jesus does think of the left and right.

Mark 10:40

"But to sit on my right hand and on my left hand is not mine to give; but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared." Does this refer to the sheep and goats at judgement?The right hand is symbolic of honor, and the left hand of dishonor. Dexter vs. Sinister.

No one would be seated at God's left hand. The only exception to that would be the King's Queen. They would be considered as one 'object', so no one would be seated to the Queen's left.